Interesting Moto Guzzi/Aprilia article

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by John Ashman, Jun 11, 2017.

  1. John Ashman

    John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    3,846
    Location:
    Viejo Mexico
    #1
    Comrade Art likes this.
  2. Comrade Art

    Comrade Art Working stiff

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2006
    Oddometer:
    793
    Location:
    Oregon
    I was close to buying a Stornello but decided against it because the engine is so anemic. Interesting to see what the new Moto Guzzi design + engine will look like.
    #2
    TeepS likes this.
  3. motomoda

    motomoda Long timer

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2016
    Oddometer:
    1,760
    Location:
    Oz
    Don't believe the talking suit.
    #3
    Hoak likes this.
  4. WitchCityBallabio

    WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,473
    Location:
    Wales, Massachusetts
    Did you ride it, or are you just going by the specification numbers? The bike will do 105 mph. How fast does a Scrambler style bike need to go?

    We have one and it's a really nice bike to ride. Plenty torquey, nice sound, nimble, fun to blast around on dirt roads on.
    #4
  5. John Ashman

    John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    3,846
    Location:
    Viejo Mexico
    Come now, how much room is there between a current Moto Guzzi engine design and 2017 to fit a lot of radical evolution? Water cooling would be a radical evolution at this point. DOHC. Horsepower.
    #5
  6. motomoda

    motomoda Long timer

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2016
    Oddometer:
    1,760
    Location:
    Oz
    It would of course be possible to build anything and stick a Guzzi badge on it. The thing is if you read any article where a Piaggio suit is interviewed they will always say anything they think the interviewer wants to hear and nothing that has any substance.

    In that article it's patently obvious that the suit has absolutely zero knowledge of even comparatively recent models, (The statement that the Stelvio was produced in two forms with early ones having a 2 valve per cylinder engine and later ones having a 4 valve per cylinder one is arrant piffle and shows both ignorance of the product and contempt for the audience.) so why would you give even an iota of credence to anything stated in the interview.

    Guzzi have become Piaggio's brand of fat cruisers for wannabes and glittery man-bags for hipsters. I'll believe that has changed when I see something sitting on a showroom floor with a price tag on it.
    #6
    TEXenvy and Utrider1 like this.
  7. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Sad to see. Two really neat bikes that offered a refreshing alternative to the status quo. Unfortunately, I don't see either of these brands getting back into the 1200cc ADV market. A total of roughly 12,000 bikes sold over 8 years time just doesn't cut it when BMW sells twice that many GS's in a single year. The majority of people actually buying bikes in this class seem fine with a 2 horse race (BMW and KTM) so I guess that's what they'll get. I suspect Triumph will be next and dump the 1200 Explorer given its similarly bad sales numbers. Meanwhile, Guzzi seems to be going in a different direction with their new "lifestyle" bikes (V9 Bobber, Flying Fortress, etc) and Aprilia seems content chasing MotoGP titles. I wish them well.....
    #7
  8. John Ashman

    John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    3,846
    Location:
    Viejo Mexico
    Well, for one thing, what he's saying meshes with reality. All of the 1200cc products are gone, at least in Europe, leaving only the slightly newer 700, 850 and 1400cc engines. The 700 engine is next. Moto Guzzi has been reported to be working on a high powered 1300cc liquid cooled DOHC engine for years now which makes total sense. I think they just want people to know that new replacements are coming and they aren't simply collapsing or abandoning entire categories.
    #8
  9. John Ashman

    John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    3,846
    Location:
    Viejo Mexico
    http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/06/04/new-moto-guzzi-liquid-cooled-v-twin-engine-work-in-progress
    #9
  10. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    #10
  11. WitchCityBallabio

    WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,473
    Location:
    Wales, Massachusetts

    It's certainly in the realm of possibility. You never know with Guzzi.
    #11
  12. motomoda

    motomoda Long timer

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2016
    Oddometer:
    1,760
    Location:
    Oz
    As I said Doug, I'll believe it when I see it in a shop with a price tag hanging off it! :D not a mock up, not some photoshop fantasy, real, 'In the flesh' motorcycle!

    Whenever there are new models they are always seen around Como a couple of years prior to launch. So far we've seen nothing, not even a new cruiser. Last time a 'New model' was in the pipeline there were a host of pics of the 'Roamer' going about its business for at least 18 months prior to its release. At the moment all we're getting is mouthflap from the Suits.
    #12
    WitchCityBallabio likes this.
  13. John Ashman

    John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    3,846
    Location:
    Viejo Mexico
    They already have that covered with the relatively new 1400 engine and the 4 or 5 variations using it. Why would they compete with themselves?
    #13
  14. John Ashman

    John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    3,846
    Location:
    Viejo Mexico
    Right, so that's why he saying that they will show some prototypes in the fall and production models a year later.
    #14
  15. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    I'm saying it's more likely that a 1300cc liquid motor would show up in a cruiser vs. a new big ADV bike, which is the topic of this thread, no?

    Now that I think about it, if Guzzi decides to stay in the ST business, maybe the new 1300 would work in a new Norge successor, and/or a follow on Griso.

    Regardless, I doubt very seriously it would appear in a new ADV bike. :deal
    #15
  16. John Ashman

    John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    3,846
    Location:
    Viejo Mexico
    The only thing good I can see out of Euro 4 is that it will force lazy motorcycle companies, including all of the Japanese, to update their 30 year old engine designs, and get rid of dead wood. You can already see Honda and Yamaha starting to consolidate their bike fleet around a few new engine designs.
    #16
  17. WitchCityBallabio

    WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,473
    Location:
    Wales, Massachusetts
    Don't be so sure. Next to the V7's, it's possible that the Stelvio was their best selling model. Didn't they sell something like 7000 of them? I guess it will probably come down to what they think the bigger market is. Cruisers or ADV.
    #17
  18. John Ashman

    John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    3,846
    Location:
    Viejo Mexico
    I'm not sure I see the big difference between a modernized 1300cc (if it actually IS 1300cc, could be 1000cc-1200cc just as easily) and the older, heavy 1200cc engine in the Stelvio. If you'll note, I said it was a bad day for 1200cc ADV bikes. Aprilia is apparently downsizing their twins to under 900cc for the moment, which means a far better, more offroadable CapoNord could happen, such as a 900 based on the Dorso Duro As for the Stelvio replacement, who cares what the engine size is on a big shafty, SS swingarmed bike, people seem to think there's no such thing as an ADV bike that is too big. Probably couldn't weigh any more than the Honda V4.
    #18
  19. WitchCityBallabio

    WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,473
    Location:
    Wales, Massachusetts
    The dry weight on my 09 Stelvio is 478 lbs, which puts in there with a lot of bikes in it's class. The KTM 990 Adventure for example is 460. It's urban legend that the Guzzi is that much heavier than others.

    I doubt the current 1400 Guzzi motor is much heavier.
    #19
  20. John Ashman

    John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    3,846
    Location:
    Viejo Mexico
    True, it's barely heavier than an Africa Twin DSG with 200cc more, SSS and shaft. Though water cooled motors do tend to be heavier. And they're talking about a reverse rotation shaft which could add a little weight, along with all the emissions stuff Still, not a big deal when compared to the CrossTourer or even Super Tenere. Lightest shaft ADV bike, no?
    #20