Interesting Moto Guzzi/Aprilia article

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by John Ashman, Jun 11, 2017.

1. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Although I don't think Moto Guzzi is set up to make a competitive 500-700cc off roading ADV bike like Yamaha or KTM, a V9 with a SSS and 18/19" wheels and a little extra suspension would make a heck of an ADV tourer. And at this point, they should just ditch the V7 and drop in the V9 engine since it is less than 6 lbs heavier. While it would be great to see something much higher tech and smaller again from them, I doubt it will ever happen short of massive growth in their sales.
  2. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    The real trick is to build that light + capable single cyinder adv bike but get around some of the euro compliance issues by offering an "off road " version without the abs weight penalty, perhaps get through the emissions restrictions by offering a power up kit....and having a factory run by enthusiasts. Hmmmm...why does this sound familiar....oh, that's right.... I'm currently recovering from test riding an ajp pr7 :raabia Please mr guzzi, can you sell the v9 motor to the ajp engineers ?????
    Hoak likes this.
  3. Hoak

Hoak Long timer

Oddometer:
    You clearly don't understand the advantages and disadvantages of a longitudinal v engine plan, and have a very skewed marketing and advertising driven notion of 'competitive'... You're welcome to your preferences and beliefs but you're missing and missing out on a lot....

I think AJP nailed it, stuck with core competence, used proven platforms, I even like the idea of the more raked fork that you were slightly critical off -- if you're ever going to do any long legs high speed hauling on the slab (and many will as it will be their only bike), or really rough and fast fire roads at rally bike speeds; it will be a god send on such a light bike with a 21" hoop out front.

I think they've measured their compromises very carefully and have a full-context winner. It obviously won't be perfect, there's no such thing as one-size-fits-all; but for those looking for something that really is lighter with impressive power:weight and torque, apparently has a beautifully low cg, promises real RTW build quality and capability -- it looks like the PR7 may be the 'next thing' in ADV bikes!

Except for one-off DIY hand built PD Rally inspired machines; the only bikes inspired from that generation of racing are the liter plus ADV bikes that really are only a loose derivatives.The open class PD Rally bikes were the fastest all surface machines on the planet -- to get close to anything like that in weight and performance we'll have to build them for ourselves!
  4. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    It isn't a matter of preference, but a complete lack of product. Where are longitudinal singles? Where is the small bore BMW boxer? I'd like to see it for variety, but clearly it has no important advantages.
  5. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    ct Honda and early guzzi were longitudinal singles, both great bikes in their times, perhaps you'd like a Honda grom? IF you don't believe there is any advantage in having the motor flattish , perhaps try riding a husaberg 70 degree and comparing it with the equivalent ktm of the era - I'm not a good enough rider to know for sure if the extra agility was due to the motor technology or some other mystical factor, but I DO know they're fantastic bikes to ride
    Paul124ac and Hoak like this.
  6. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    Well, I do understand CoG if that's the point. I just wasn't sure what the "clear advantages" were when no one was rushing to build longitudinal crankshaft dirt bikes. The problem with the 70cc engine Honda like my SL70 seems to be that they get too big and long apparently to support a long travel 21" front wheel bouncing up and down. But that's a transverse crankshaft.

But I'm fairly sure at this point that you don't know what "longitudinal crankshaft" means.
  7. Hoak

Hoak Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ashman, you're the imbecile that posited a "longitudinal single", Dr AT was just politely engaging your mistake and not calling you on it assuming you meant flat singles. Your technical illiteracy has been demonstrated here repeatedly and consistently; your rude, sarcastic, petty insults are no substitute for a an honest interest in, or knowledge of what you're talking about. Unfortunately a few Aprilla and Moto Guzzi owners here mistook your OT post (three weeks late from it being discussed in other MG threads), as sincere interest and tried, politely, repeatedly to engage you -- clearly you're just trolling; flake the fuck off...
    slipknot likes this.
  8. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    So you don't see the hilarious irony of your post? I didn't think so. "Damned know nothing kids and their facts and proper use of technical terms!" [shakes cane]
  9. Hoak

Hoak Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hilarious irony? You're either illiterate and dreaming, or really suck at trolling... You're not quoting me there, I never said or implied that, and you're the one that doesn't have his facts straight... Good luck, have fun with your trolling campaign, It's going to get real lonely there for ya...
  10. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    "You clearly don't understand the advantages and disadvantages of a longitudinal v engine plan" I actually knew what you meant even though Moto Guzzi Vs are often called transverse because of the cylinder layout. I have no idea how the subject changed to horizontal transverse crankshaft engines, but oh well.
  11. Hoak

Hoak Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try Wikipedia...

A transverse engine is an engine mounted in a vehicle so that the engine's crankshaft axis is perpendicular to the long axis of the vehicle. A longitudinal engine is an internal combustion engine in which the crankshaft is oriented along the long axis of the vehicle, front to back. Same nomenclature for nearly two hundred years -- it's not 'new'...
  12. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    Also not new? Calling Moto Guzzi engines "transverse V-twins".

Also from Wikipedia

"The company's motorcycles are noted for their air-cooled 90° V-twin engines with a longitudinal crankshaft orientation where the engines' transverse cylinder heads project prominently on either side of the motorcycle."

Aren't you old guys tired of being wrong yet?
  13. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    In fairness, and I hate to admit it, but the trolling moron was right - my examples of longitudinal singles were just single cylinder bikes with the single cylinder longitudinal rather than longitudinal SHAFT singles. In my defense , I got a little confused because the hypothertical TMLS question came up in a thread where we had been discussing the merrits of technological advances vs marketting bs , and it's been a VERY long time since trchnology moved on from single cylinder longitudinal SHFT singles. I think there's a TMLSS in our local motorbike museum if you really need a photo, I think the frames is made out of wood. It might actually run by burning wood as well. Can't say I'm particularly interested in the WBTMLSS ...way too many acrononyms and marketting bs for this idiot.

Edit...wrong again...it should have cranky in there somewhere....so WBTMLCSS
  14. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    Hahaha, no problem, and sorry, I didn't mean to sound mean about it. I'm just being snarky more than anything.
  15. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's gold...even John Ashman can gain enlightenment if he hangs around the guzzi guys long enough :clap

Sorry John, I'll go drink my coffee and settle down now
    Sock Monkey and John Ashman like this.
  16. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    This is a killer CX500 conversion, the best ever. Moto Guzzi should build this. Not even sure that this prototype is ridable or functional based on the rear suspension or lack thereof, but still......

[​IMG]
  17. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:

Sorry, John, but you're wrong. Best the cx conversion ever involved 2wd with a forward shaft and tessi style front end. I begged and begged for a guzzi version. Unfortunately his engineering website was scrapped decades ago , but he produced technological advances rather than marketting bs wannabee shit like that bike.
  18. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    *Best I've seen (but I bet your 2wd thingy is ugly as sin, am I right?)

I'm not totally sure that the above pic isn't a photoshop now that I think about it. At that angle, it's a bit hard to tell, but everything looks too tidy and optically lacking in dimension to be real.