Interesting new tire tool.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Stumpalump, Sep 2, 2012.

1. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    Honestly, I didn't even try it. I can't picture how that would work, though.
  2. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    Putting the first bead over is the best part of the Tyre Tool. You don't have to try and lever it on where the 2nd bead gets in the way. The tool just pushes it to the edge and the bead falls over.
  3. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    What I usually do is stand the tire up on the ground, lube it, and jam one edge of the wheel rim into the hole as hard as I can. It hits the bottom of the tire/bead, and stays there. Put the wheel down, and push the rest of the tire over the rim. I used to use tire irons. Now, do the same, but use the tool. It really worked fine, it's doing the exact same thing to the lower bead as it does with the upper bead, except it's easier.
  4. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    None of my bikes need a tire change for a while (I think/hope), but next time, I'll come back to this thread as a reminder.

What I usually do is stand the tire up on the ground, lube it, and jam one edge of the wheel rim into the hole as hard as I can. It hits the bottom of the tire/bead, and stays there.

I couldn't do that... sidewalls were too stiff. I had the edges lubed, and the tire flat on the ground. I put the rim on top of the tire and tried to push it into the tire... that's worked for me before. Not this time- not even close.
    The rimlock didn't make things easier, either. Heh, my friend asked if the tire was the right size for the rim.
  5. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    <iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LWQJ9TJo1B0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

From the same website...
  6. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    has anyone mounted up paddle tires with this tool? particularly small diameter paddles, like 14"?

i mount up knobs no problemo (usually...) but this looks like a really cool tool! and at $20 per tire to have the shop do it, would pay for itself in a few seasons, and a few saved toobs!

:freaky
  7. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    How do I "get on the list" for the next order?
  8. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    Glenn, there is a thread under Vender section started by EvanADV. Check that out.
  9. Afry

Afry Why hike?

Oddometer:
    Easy peasy, next time put the tube (with a little air in it) in the tire and put the tire on the rim with the valve stem into the hole and just start the nut on it. Then use the tire tool to put the first bead over the rim then making sure the tube is all the way inside the rim put on the next bead from the same side and your done.
  10. mitch96

mitch96 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I missed out own the group buy because I just learned about this tool yesterday. The bike I want this for is a 07 KTM 990.

It is residing in Europe(I live in Vancouver, B.C. and I am just wondering if I am going to need some adapters to use the tool in the KTM axel holes (as I typed this I realized I may have just invented a new word for JoMomma i.e. "Stop being an axel-hole"

I am doing some solo riding in Europe next summer and this tool looks a lot easier to use that the usual three spoon cuss-a-thon for the rear on the 990.

BTW, Nothing beats changing out a rear tube on the 990, in the dark when your wife is holding the flashlight at 2 am, Front tires are far easier to do in the dark so i prefer to mount the tire backwards when it is raining so I get to pop the bead twice :lol3

Any knowledge on the 950/990 axel fits most appreciated
  12. Weekend_warrior

Weekend_warrior Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The guy in the video didn't test to see if he pinch it using those long irons in the beginning.

Anyone tried that tool with a Foam Moose bib?
  13. mitch96

mitch96 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone tried that tool with a Foam Moose bib?

WTF??????????

new kind of tire??
  14. CA_Rage

CA_Rage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :ear
    looks interesting.
    Is anyone putting another group buy?
  15. kentnothstine

kentnothstine Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I think there was a new thread started somewhere else, take a look back a few pages.
  16. BykBoy

BykBoy Meshuganeh Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love this tool. It makes mounting the tires very easy indeed.

My only problem with it is storage. Since the lever is straight, It doesn't fold nicely into a compact form. So, I fixed this by bending the lever like this:

[​IMG]

Now the tool can be folded compactly and can fit into a narrow sleeve-like bag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bend in the lever does not take away any functionality. Tool still works like a charm.

[​IMG]

:clap:clap
  17. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    I just noticed on ebay that there's a new competitor. About $100 less than the $179 these sell for on ebay. Made in Montana. I think I'll try one.
  18. mitch96

mitch96 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wondered when someone would contract some company in China to knock these things out and I'm glad this one is made in the good ol' USA.

I'm still loving the tool. A brilliant command of the simple triumph's again&#8230;.
    or Honda's again or Yamaha's again&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.

i know&#8230;&#8230;&#8230; back in the box...
  19. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Got a link?
  20. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    Anyone know how much the tool weighs? (I own it, but it's at my garage- a mile from my apt, and there's no scale there).

The copycat version on eBay says theirs weighs 1.8 lbs. I would have thought the Kaurit weighed more than that.