1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Interesting route from Florida to Arkansas sought

Discussion in 'Americas' started by DirtMerchant, Mar 16, 2020.

1. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey fellow inmates, I am planning a trip in June riding from SW FLA to North Central Arkansas and looking for an interesting route up and back. I don't have all the time in the world as I'm going to spend several days in AR but at the same time I don't want to just superslab it up and back.

My tentative thought was slabbing it up to Baton Rouge and catching the Natchez Trace Parkway up to TN.

Any thoughts on interesting routes would be appreciated.
  2. Just Cliff

Just Cliff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To answer your 1st question, I don't think there is one. I make the trip to south GA, north FL once a year sometimes twice. Also you can't get on the Trace in LA, it starts in MS. & it would be way out of the if you have limited time.

I've found the best route to be hwy 84, you can pick it up anywhere across south GA. It has a nice mix of 2 & 4 lane, some nice small towns with stretches of nothing for a ways. I would take 84 to Laurel MS, then heads towards Bay Springs & on to Pelahatchie (don't the #'s off top my head). From Pelahatchie, maybe heads towards Canten & across 16 to Yazoo City & pick a route towards Lake Village AR. Or once you hit Pelahatchie, take I-20 west to hwy 61 north at Vicksburg. There is a Battlefield at Vicksburg if that interest you. Hwy 61 is 2 lane & basically empty, venture over to hwy 1 north & there is literally nothing just ride.
    severely and DirtMerchant like this.
  3. slowriding

slowriding Dopeless Hope Fiend Supporter

Oddometer:
    First thought that came to mind was the first sentence Just Cliff wrote.
    Just Cliff and DirtMerchant like this.
  4. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Trace is historically interesting and a quiet place like any rural park, but on a MC it's not very interesting pavement wise until upper areas where terrain changes from,lowlands to more up & down, few curves, etc.. The long haul through lower GA is a drag but gets better up N.
    Traffic can get heavy around BR, LA as I found out on a MC at rush hour!
    The 84 rt sounds good, maybe consider more up thru GA & TN then heading west in TN on I-40 instead? Or up then west through Birmingham, AL?
    N AL is the tail of the Applachians same as N GA.