1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting Video on Solar and Wind

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by xnihilo, Sep 23, 2020.

1. xnihilo

xnihilo Coming from Nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    What do you guys think?
  2. mantan

mantan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A lot of BS from a clearly biased person.
    woodsrider-boyd likes this.
  3. xnihilo

Oddometer:
    Okay, I don't know, but can you explain?
    BTW, nice videos. What bike do you have?
  4. mantan

mantan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of half truths, straw man arguments and fluff in that video. For example, he compares the energy in a barrel of fuel with a wind turbine. But a barrel of crude is useless. There is processing and transport required. He mentions the child labor issue, that is mostly red herring. There is also the mention of subsidies over the last 20 yrs and not much progress. But it takes a long time for a shift on such scale and the technology was evolving, it takes time. Look at how much solar, wind and energy storage have improved in the last 5-6 yrs. Moreover the energy requirement of the world is not static, it has been growing continuously. The idea the only option with renewable energy for night is to store energy with batteries is also false. Wind energy is available 24/7 and there are potential energy based solutions for storage that do not require any batteries.
    We also don't have an unlimited supply of hydrocarbons as he claims.

I don't think that there 0 risk/problems with renewable energy but those problems are being addressed. Will we solve them all, maybe not. But 0 cobalt batteries are ready. Li recycling will happen.

Thanks for your comments regarding my videos! I have an 09 Aprilia RXV 550 and a 14 KTM 1190 Adv.

I hope to pick up an E-bike in a couple of yrs.
    kzeb, 3bangin, pretbek and 2 others like this.
  5. xnihilo

Oddometer:
    Very interesting, Manish! I know there's always a counterpoint to information like this, so thanks for shedding another light on the issue.
    I'm still trying to educate myself on the whole electric vehicle debate. It's certainly going that way, no doubt. I just don't know how long it will be before it becomes a practical reality.
    Very nice bikes you have! :clap
  6. tallpaul63

tallpaul63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have noticed that there’s lots of skepticism about electric vehicles from people who reject environmental concerns, or who feel they are overblown.

Perhaps such people are blind to all the other reasons to get excited about electric vehicles:

An electric car can be much simpler mechanically than an ICE equivalent. No spark plugs, catalytic converters, radiator, fuel injectors, fuel pump, water pump, differential, timing belt, exhaust system, etc. electric vehicles are quiet, offer amazing torque, and can be built with a very low CG, so handling improves. Within a few years, electric cars will be cost competitive with ICE cars, and will offer ranges that meet the needs of most drivers, with lower maintenance costs.

In short, electric cars will be very attractive soon, because they will simply be better, even without environmental considerations.
    pretbek likes this.
  7. smdub

smdub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Using the most popular electric car as an example (tesla), it has radiators, water pumps, and a diff.
  8. tallpaul63

tallpaul63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for correcting me- you’re right. I’m thinking that if you put a motor on every wheel you get all wheel drive and no need for a differential. Dual motor cars will still have them. I guess we’re stuck with cooling systems, just different application.
  9. Mountainman13

Mountainman13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PragerU's entire purpose is to convert media savvy younger people to conservative values. They care about the truth about as much as most of the Russian troll farm stuff coming out about the election.
    woodsrider-boyd and voltsxamps like this.
  10. magnussonh

magnussonh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a bit of cherry picking, but there is no statement in this video that is not more or less factually correct. Although (in my opinion) the way forward is not hydrocarbons. The only sustainable way forward (in my opinion) is to simply use less energy. Some people here on ADVrider have different opinion (mostly the loud exhaust, and making up for personal deficiencies with bigger and more powerful vehicle crowd). If you use smaller less powerful electric car, it will go further on the same amount of energy, or go same distance with smaller batteries. Smaller batteries will weigh less, need less mining of materials, and mean lighter weight vehicles, again less mining, and less recycling later on. The knock-on effect repeats again and again. (Edit. And its cheaper.)
    I have also suggested compressed air as energy storage. That really got some people upset :lol3. But think of energy storage system that can be reused thousands of times without losing capacity, has no self discharge (if it does develop a leak it's easily fixed), the only mining/manufacturing needed is for the container, and if steel containers are used is one of the most easily recyclable materials available.
    pretbek, smdub and xnihilo like this.
  11. cactus_reese

cactus_reese Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is a TED talk from a man who has worked in renewable energy in California his whole career. He was a believer...but not anymore. He is a liberal and makes the same points as PragerU.
    AZbiker and magnussonh like this.
  12. magnussonh

magnussonh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many good points but, for example, no mention of the Three Mile Island (US) nuclear accident.
    Nuclear energy is by far safer now than few decades ago. Still (in my opinion) the best solution to save the planet is to use less energy. :D
    Side story here, since he makes such a small story of the cancer cases. In Japan leukemia has often been referred to as "atomic-bomb-disease" (If you're interested, Google "Sadako Sasaki". There is a statue of her in the Seattle Peace Park, and one of her Hiroshima birds is in the Tribute WTC Visitor Center).
    kzeb and Johann like this.