Interior Roads--3 days in BC

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Sedro Tom, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Sedro Tom

Sedro Tom No hurry, no worry

Oddometer:
    WetSideRider (Dan), What-Broke-Now (Don), Tutos (Robert)
    and I met up on Tyaughton Lake on Monday for some Adventure.
    It was a six hour drive from, up the Frazer to Lytton, then to
    Lillooet, then west towards Gold Bridge. The route out paralleled
    the Bridge River and then Carpenter Lake which is formed by
    an earthen dam and must be at least 30 miles long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dan and Robert camped in the lodge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

they fly mountain bikers and their rides out to a remote lake where they pedal back

[​IMG]

Don and I camped by the lake, the loon's melody was nice to listen to and
    with the fine quality of grub up at the lodge we were happy campers

[​IMG]

Tuesday we geared up for a ride around Bralorne an old and still function
    goldmine and mill

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it wasn't a one horse town

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

near and interesting old building, probably a bunk house for a mine, Don takes a gander

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we found some nice roads, only stopping until the bugs found us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

they packed the bridge out when they were through here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Robert had a spill that was possibly caused by a flat

[​IMG]

his ride was done on day one

[​IMG]

Don rode back to the camp, got his truck, and hauled the Husky back

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

they got the Husky ready for transport and the wrangler headed out with the dude's

[​IMG]

day 2 found Dan, don and me heading north to Mud Lakes and a route over the mountain. right off the bat I changed direction on the first hill and accessed that it was beyond my skill. Dan the intrepid hill climber saved my ass and rode mine up a couple that were over my un skilled ability

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

of course we had to come down the other side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

at this small lake the bugs were keeping the fish busy

[​IMG]

they wanted to jump right out of the frame

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this down hill bicycle run is as steep as it looks

[​IMG]

the water got to my knees and the KLX died, some pushing and it ran again

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

on the other side some four wheelers rolled in for some conversation
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

then it was on down this drainage to complete our loop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

looking back to where we had just been, "now they tell us" :lol3

[​IMG]

the cool water hit the spot after the hot dusty ride

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

back at the main road that we had all driven in on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

slides happen
    [​IMG]

Dan's Husaberg was running low on gas, the plan was that he'd ride ahead till his fuel light came on then use his one MSR and then wait for us. Don discovered he had a flat

[​IMG]

I rode back to get the truck, discovered Dan along side the road waiting for the extras gas that Don had and I didn't. So back at camp I threw in a two gallon can, headed back and topped off Dan and loaded up Don.
    Fun day, really, no sh :wink: :rofl

[​IMG]

Dan and Robert headed out on day three and Don and I went up to Goldbridge to do some more exploring

[​IMG]

Don un loaded the two stroke

[​IMG]

and we headed out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

in Bralorne we visited the closed museum with a nice outside display

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it must have run :eek1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

traction added
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

a real nice trip, glad you guy's invited me along, thanks :clap
  2. turnsleft

turnsleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report Tom. Looks like you had a good time. You missed out on a bit of rain here. Ardenvoir next week?:D
  3. liv2rydktms

liv2rydktms Long timer

Oddometer:
    You WA guys always have sooo much fun and tom your photos are always so gorgeous. you guys know we love exploring old mines, thanks for sharing. :evil
  4. WetSideRider

WetSideRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tom's terse tale-telling is tempting to tamper with.

Don and I have been talkin' bout Chilcotin ever since the fire went out on 2012. Don did an exploratory ride last year that is detailed here.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827305

I wimped out on that one. This year I proposed the ride in early January and promptly forgot about it, but Don didn't. So, at the last minute we rounded up a couple of accomplices and made a most rudimentary plan, then took off.

Don took two bikes and his plucky old Ranger pickup. Little did he know he was driving the Rescue Ranger and potentially providing the group with an N+1 bike sparing opportunity.

Tyaughton Lake and the Tyax Lodge are super nice. But, they are at least sixty miles from reliable gas stations. This is an issue for dual sporting plans with two gallon tank. Robert and I spent about $100 on gas in Lillooet between the car and the 12 gallons of miscellaneous gas cans we brought along (for Don to haul after they were full, of course).

We drove up Monday, and Tuesday was the first riding day.
  5. WetSideRider

WetSideRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    We had no plan, really. Well, maybe the plan was don't get lost, don't get hurt, don't run out of gas, and don't break anything. You can probably guess how that worked out just by reading Tom's report.

It's no fun having adventures, though, if you don't whine a little both during and after. It's like fish stories. They get better if you embellish.

We decided at breakfast in the swanky lodge that we would head out to find a Lime Kiln that Don had spotted on some un-detailed map online. We knew it was off the Kingdom Lake Forest Service Road outside the little town of Bralorne.

Some background and scenery

[​IMG]

I can't fill in the mountain names, maybe some else reading this can. They are beauties.

The ride up is scenic and uneventful, not even dusty. Here's Tom doing his thing with Mount Weinhold (I think) in the background.

[​IMG]

We rode up the valley on both the right and left shoulder of this peak. The creek where the bridge was removed is on the right shoulder. We got quite expert at crossing what appeared to be water bars, but which are probably where the road crew removed culverts for reuse somewhere else.

During the ride up I had plenty of time to ponder the age old question "does a bear s--t in the woods". In this location, I guess the answer is no, they do their bidness in the road. You couldn't go a half mile without some signs. No live bears, thankfully. Others have been kind enough to post pictures of grizzlies spotted in the neighborhood of tomorrow's ride, though.

We didn't get to the Lime Kiln, it was mighty rugged trail and the maps indicated mountain bike only, so we didn't push our luck. There's a lot of developed mountain bike track around, considering how few people actually live out there. Tom took some nice pictures of what I imagined to be a cathouse back in the day when the mines were booming. It's more fun than thinking it's an old boarding house.

If you were looking for artifacts from the past, you could have picked up an old satellite dish receiver. I didn't have the room to carry it out :evil

Disaster struck on the way out. We were a bit spread out due to dust, with Robert bringing up the rear. When he didn't show after waiting about five minutes, Tom headed back to check on him and sure enough, there was trouble.

Robert probably came off the bike at under thirty, but he tore a mighty big hole in the alternator cover. He was mobile and coherent, but his riding day was done.

Don headed back for the Rescue Ranger while Robert and I swatted flies. Tom did a bit more exploration down to Kingdom Lake, then came back to help us control the fly population.

There was some talk of Robert riding Don's 200 on Wednesday, but it was pretty clear to Robert that cramming his left toe in an m/c boot right away was no option. Robert rest is planned for Wednesday.
  6. what broke now

what broke now Petroleum Brother Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's easy to think big planning a multi-day ride, and getting 50% is often the best I achieve. We had some fun on this one but the overhead was considerable. The good part is we can go back and finish the rest of the list later. The loop I went short on last year was completed in a different way, and I have a burned-in picture of a big piece of the country. We did not get to the single track, that may come later.
    I now know what the place name "churn creek hill" refers to.

It's easy to slack on the picture taking with Tom along, but the camera comes out anyway.

The Fraser above Lytton with some rain in the distance:
    [​IMG]

Where the Bridge river enters Carpenter lake:
    [​IMG]

Part of Cadwallader Range south of Bralorne:

[​IMG]

Cabin on the upper Yalakom River:

[​IMG]

Logging jewelry:

[​IMG]

Lots of gravel just about everywhere:

[​IMG]

Tom looking smug after he left me & the ktm in the dust on the Hurley road:

[​IMG]

I'm ready to go back again, the tires are fixed, the one on the bike had a leaking tube patch, but it was on there since Moab and was a very slow leak, but apparently enough to exceed the pump output. Why fix tires when you have another bike?
    The ranger knew when I took it over that it's garage queen days were done. :D

Nice trip, guys.
  7. One Fat Roach

One Fat Roach honey badger

Oddometer:
    Like always, great photos Tom. Thanks for sharing. BC looks like a lot of fun!
  8. what broke now

what broke now Petroleum Brother Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, Dan. That's a whole quart of alliteration just for one sentence... but it must be 'cause the gaernes weren't made fer walkin.
  9. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Thanks for taking the time to share your adventure and making envious. You guys always find good rides to take and do a terrific job of showing the rest of us what we are missing. :D
  10. WetSideRider

WetSideRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    For Wednesday, "plans" were made as usual, at the breakfast table. Robert was going to check out Bralorne and the Mine Pit Tavern in better detail, using the car. Don, Tom, and I were headed out on Mud Lake Road, innocuous enough sounding, to find and take a look at some single track and mostly just to ride out to Yakalom River. Don had been there before and it appeared to be Forest Service Road all the way, just like yesterday.

Well. It started out that way, with nice graded FSR and grand but distant views.

[​IMG]

At the Mud Lakes things took a turn. We didn't find the single track where we expected. In the Chilcotin, they don't need no stinkin' signs. Ned1's buddy Dale tried to describe the trailhead, which went something like this:

"You go up the steep part of the Mud Lake Road and you'll be looking down at the biggest lake, Sprague, I think. Wait, if you see Sprague then you have gone too far, so double back a little. Then you will see a faint track going steeply uphill on the left. That's it. Well, there's an easier way, if you go back a bit further, but it's harder to see. Yeah, yeah, never mind that one, it's easier just to hit the steep climb."

Uh oh.

In addition, we didn't actually have a map showing the Yalakom connection, just a map with an arrow pointing off the page that said Yalakom.

Can you guess we didn't find the trailhead? We did find out that all FSR's aren't created equal, as the Mud Lake Road became the Mud Lake quad track, in my opinion anyway. us locals can envision it if we imagine Pat's Trail, but a skosh wider. Probably a bit steeper too.

Tom's pictures tell the story. I relayed his bike up the worst parts and we spent many a minute pondering the wisdom of proceeding without a clearer understanding of the obstacles ahead. In the end we agreed that the way out as we had come in had to be the hardest part. That turned out to be true, but only about eight miles later than we predicted.

Tom after the beaver dam swim.

[​IMG]

After much teeth gnashing, we get to some pretty cool high country and run into the quad guys.

[​IMG]

The quad guys have maps and experience, but by then, we can see the Yakalom River sign. Ahhhh.

Still, it's a bazillion kilometers to Tyax and I'm on the two gallons I started with, plus maybe a quart in a jar somewhere in my luggage. I'm counting on Don's supertanker Rotopax for a refill sometime along the way.

We see this sign

[​IMG]

It was about 200 degrees out, so the ice wasn't a problem though. That's about 32 in Canadian degrees, right?

At the intersection of Yalakom (which Tom says is really named by some southerner who liked the place and wanted everyone to see it) and Carpenter Lake we discussed the gas "situation". Since it was still about 200 degrees, we agreed to postpone the fill up until we found a shady glen on the roadside. This turned out to be a poor decision on my part, as Tom has related.

I got well acquainted with this little turn out, which wasn't particularly shady.

[​IMG]

I had a lot of time to think about bears. One guy did stop to check on me, and reassured me that the single track we missed was doable on Dual Sports. That's a good enough reason to come back.

The Rescue Ranger saved the day, again.

Tom grinned as he told me about Don's flat on the way to get the Ranger, and his question weighed on me while I waited for him to return. As you probably can guess, his question was "Who's next, you, or me?".

I have some experience with Austro-Swedish karmic backlash. I was convinced it would be me that was next. Therefore, I lobbied hard with Robert to give up ideas of riding Don's 200 on Thursday, which would entail actually fixing a flat on the WR.

Robert and I had a previous experience just two short weeks ago with someone who shall not be named having to fix three flats and then have his wife pick him up after the fourth one. And this someone is awesomely prepared and capable. You will never hear those four words in reference to me. Awesomely prepared and capable, that is.

Robert has seen my work, so he agreed and we bailed at a leisurely hour on Thursday. We did watch Don change a slow leaking tire on the Rescue Ranger before we left. It reinforced our resolve.

In conclusion, if you want to have an adventure, bring me. If you want to enjoy it, bring Don, Tom, and Robert. If Tom hadn't been a logger in another life, I'd swear I'd taught him some new vocabulary as I dealt with his KLX with the neutral start only switch on those lovely climbs.

Next time, I'll have to camp, much as I don't enjoy it. Tyax is not conveniently located to really do justice to the high country riding that's available (unless you are riding a supertanker and have an iron butt). the summit of Poison Mountain will be calling me until I get there again.

I know. Too many words, didn't read. I had fun writing them, though.
  11. WetSideRider

WetSideRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is too cool to leave out. Tom's picture is better, but the fish jumping action was amazing to me.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tdEJv_VgC00" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. oldx

oldx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pictures and ride report.
  13. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice report and pics. I sure would like to get up there some time... :evil
  14. HH

HH Dahlonega GA

Oddometer:
    Ahh, BC is soooo nice
  15. Ned1

Ned1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where there's smoke there's fire! Even if it's a mile from your house!

[​IMG]

Good work guys, I hope I can join you next time, be your guide dog and have you stage out of our place near Tyax. You got a good initial taste of the realities of riding up there and please know that it takes years to build the knowledge to ride there without a map.

I'll be on the bike riding again in about 2 months...catch up with you then!
  16. WetSideRider

WetSideRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    We'll have to get another beer so we can swap more stories. I left out one about the guy in the van who stopped on Carpenter Lake Road when i was out of gas and said he knew a trail from about where I was straight over to Mud Lakes. Trials trail is my guess.
  17. Ned1

Ned1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Van driver was probably referring to hopping onto the Marshall Lake FSR riding along the toes of the Shulaps Range and then grabbing the fork rightwards onto the Noaxe Main FSR which dumps out up near Mud Lakes. Of course there's a lot of high elevation ground in between those two places where you could unpack your trials bike and fill yer boots VERY deep :evil
  18. bspf

bspf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for a great ride report. Beautiful country.
  19. kwisn

kwisn One Happy Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap :freaky :clap

The scariest storms while sailing turned out to be some of my best sea stories.
    I'm impressed. :bow Anybody could do it if it was easy and it wouldn't be called an adventure, just a ride.
    I heard a few paragraphs during our rest stops Sunday, Dan. I want to hear more...
    Tom, great pics as always.
    Nice alternator cover ding!
    Rescue Ranger! :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 Love it!
  20. deej

deej Deej (Deric)

Oddometer:
    Nice report Tom! I added it to the ride reports page on the Kawi site. :)