Internal sun visor or no?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jstyles, May 27, 2020.

1. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    In 2015 my last Orange Shoei was aged out.
    And I decided to try the GTair in white.
    It was my first helmet with an internal sun visor. I had worn them before on video shoot but never owned one until that point so I kind of understood how good they could be but didn’t get to try them in every situation.

Now I have, they are not perfect but they solve some major issues.
    For me riding in tree lined canyon roads where there’s a lot of light and dark sections, the visor is quick to lower and raise. And when riding into a raising or setting sun you can wear sunglasses and have that extra level of lower light transmission.

but and these come with a big but.
    They are fiddle
    They are hard to clean and somehow are prone to a higher level of static, so if you ride in dusty conditions they get dusty quick when in the closed position.
    The helmets that have them are not snell rated.
    The visors bump into my nose when fully deployed but if I move them up enough to not hit me nose I have to look through the bottom edge sometimes.
    There’s an extra level that fogs up when it’s cold and sunny.

those things didn’t keep me away from getting a Shoei Duotec as a second helmet. And I suspect my next helmet will have an integrated sun visor.
  2. gsboar

gsboar springfield miler

Oddometer:
    my new hjc rpha 70st is the 1st helmet i've had w/ an internal sunshield - i like it a lot...

pros:
    - no more stopping to change sunglasses when sun disappears or riding too long w/ sunglasses in low light (e.g. dusk, heavily wooded roads).
    - can ride in town w/ visor up & sunshield down for more airflow on hot days.

cons:
    - it is another layer to accumulate dust & fog....
    - something else to clean...

niggles:
    - it does not extend down far enough to shield light at very bottom of my vision, but that is not where the road is....
    - not snell rated, but does carry current eu rating of some variety....

well worth it imho....
  3. AlfromNH

AlfromNH Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, absolutely
  4. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I won't go back after having one for a few years in my Shoei. I love it, as I don't need to mess around with sunglasses anymore. But I sometimes "double" up with it and sunglasses, makes it nice on those crazy sunny days on a long journey.
  5. KevinP65

KevinP65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another tool in the box doesn't hurt and they are pretty handy. I don't particularly like the 'line' of non-coverage at the bottom edge. I still carry sunglasses because at times they work better for me, such as all day in bright light or riding into a rising sun (which I have to do frequently)when the internal just doesn't cut it. I use a modular in large part because of the ease of using glasses.
  6. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate them simply because I wear prescription sunglasses and if it comes down accidentally I'm damn near blind. I take them out of every helmet that comes with them.
    KingOfFleece likes this.
  7. CJSRider

CJSRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Shoei GT Air. I love the drop down and will not buy another helmet without it. Its nice to not have to carry sunglasses with you and if you are riding and lets say you go into the mountains or forest with thick tree cover, raise the shield and its no longer dark.
  8. S21FOLGORE

S21FOLGORE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To OP

It greatly depends on ...

the type of ride you do
    commuting (leaving in the sun, coming back after dark), multi-day trip, Sunday morning ride (for example, if that's all you do, you'd better stick to what you do (dark tinted smoke shield all the time)

your preference , about ...

wearing sunglasses under the helmet vs dark smoke (or mirror) shield
    Dark smoke (or mirror) vs light smoke
    Don't mind carrying extra shield vs don't want to change the shield on the road side

the lighting condition while you are riding...
    ... is changing rapidly, or consistent ?
    (like, riding through the woods vs riding in the middle of desert)

I personally went back to the full face, no internal (drop down) visor after trying them both.

Drop down visors ...

...are never dark enough if you like dark smoke shield

...are never dark enough in the middle of bright sunny days, or when the sun is low

... never have enough coverage

...are actually destruction when you are going through twisty with rapidly changing light.
    (Do you want to leave your from left hand from the handle bar and operate the flip down visor every 1 - 1.5 sec?
    No. You'd end up either keep it up or down.)

...are difficult to clean

... one more extra to break

So, to me personally, there's no point, having something that's hard to clean and doesn't even do half decent job to cut glare (which is the primary reason of having tinted shield.)

KingOfFleece likes this.
  9. moxford

moxford Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like having it as an option in addition to the sunglasses. Will definitely buy again. And I get to keep the clear in place for the evening/night.
  10. Ockrocket

Ockrocket Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will never go back to a single visor - no peak helmet..

In the past I have used the SuperVisor, an aftermarket peak that can be attached to the outer visor of any helmet, with or without a tinted inner visor.

But my Nolan N40 with the inner tinted visor, and the adjustable outer peak, plus a removable chin bar for that classic look when doing the annual Distinguished Gentleman's Rides is the best all-round ADV and road touring type helmet I have found.

Shade on the outer visor means you can see clearly through it even when facing towards the sun, and the flip up inner tinted visor beats the crap out of riding with a dark visor, or having to constantly stop to remove or put on sunglasses if riding mountainous terrain where you are up in to sunny peaks and back down in to gloomy valleys.. just flip up / down with the little lever on the side of the helmet on the fly. :brow

Nolan N40 Black.PNG
    Gearhead-UK likes this.
  11. Ockrocket

Ockrocket Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have never had either a cleaning or a dust problem on any of my helmets with an inner tinted visor.. and being sweep rider, or just the slowest rider in a group, I'm usually back in the dirt and dust kicked up by other riders in a group.

A soft damp tissue with mild detergent, or a wet wipe is usually sufficient to clean them.
  12. CharlesLathe

CharlesLathe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode a first generation GT-Air for 6 years and then bought a Shoei Neotec 2. Now I'm back to a full face helmet -- RF1200 with a transition lens. The drop down shields are convenient. You can flip them up and down as you pass between tree cover and sunlight.

What I didn't like about them is that they are not the same optical quality as the face shield so they very slightly blur everything, they get dirty, and while it is not hard to remove them and clean them, it is very hard for me to get them back in without touching the lens and getting finger prints on them again.

I really like my RF1200. It's light, fits perfectly, easy on easy off, doesn't catch the wind when I turn my head, and the lens is so clear that I often reach up to pull it down when leaving a gas station only to find that it's already down.
    scootertrog likes this.
  13. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I figured these would be a stupid, never used gimmick when I bought this AT950. But after owning it for a while, I won't be without this feature again.

But I wear Transitions polarized glasses rather than prescription sunglasses. Therefore, a dark shield just makes my glasses get lighter. And I love the air in summer.

I'm wearing Transition glasses that get very dark under it with zero problems ...............

IMG_20191228_104707244[1].jpg
  14. Khantahr

Khantahr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My previous helmet was a GT-Air and I loved the drop down sun visor. I swore I would always have that in a helmet. Now I'm using an RF-1200 with a transitions shield. I love it even more, and I swear I'll never have a helmet without it!
    CharlesLathe likes this.
  15. jstyles

jstyles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I started on a weekend trip yesterday thinking I would be fine with my old RF1200. I stopped at Cycle Gear in Memphis and got the GT Air II and had them install the integrated Sena. So far so good. Although I forgot about the pin lock so I've had a little fogging.

If anybody is in the area of the dragon this morning or Monday I'll be out there.
  16. pip_muenster

pip_muenster curious

Oddometer:
    For commuting etc. I like the convenience of a flip-down sunshield, as I take off the helmet and walk inside. When using it on my first trip to Iceland, everything got scratched up in the dust. Replacing the visor, pinlock, and sunshild at once is pricey.
    I also realized that since I generally wear sun glasses (with prescription lenses) outside, I would need to get my other glasses everytime I pick up the helmet. So I don't use the sunshield on longer trips anymore.
  17. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Useful yes, but I do not buy helmets with them. Typically make the helmet heavier, and they usually do not have a Snell rating, or a 5 star on SHARP. I like a comfortable lid, and as safe as I can get.
  18. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Absolutely love it in my Nexx XD-1. The inner visor is pretty dark on the Nexx. It's especially great when gong in and out of shady areas where it's easy to flip up and down as needed. It's a pretty light helmet too.
  19. Vrode

Vrode Not going there Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use prescription transition lenses but the inner sunshield has not been a problem. Mine doesn’t seem to get dusty or scratched and it helps dim the brightness. No, they are not as good as dedicated sunglasses, but I find it a big help and easy to use, especially when transitioning from sun to shadow to sun...
  20. Boredsurfer

Boredsurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I only buy helmets with drop down visors but for me the biggest benefit is riding with the shield open and getting tons of fresh air without my eyes watering. Love it for that reason. Behind the right screen. I hardly ever close my face shield now.