Into the Badlands on a Africa Twin!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dakmrg91, Aug 23, 2016.

1. dakmrg91

dakmrg91 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ***EDIT**** Look further down, due to weather plans changed again from FL to South Dakota. Similar distance but whole new scenery! :)

Originally I was going to take my Strom to Nova Scotia, but I cannot get my Passport in time, so I am changing things up! I got a new baby! my 2016 Africa twin! So just passed 1k miles and figured she's ready for a big trip! I am planning to leave Lake George NY in about 11 days for the Florida keys! I am going to split the riding into three days there and spend three days in the keys then three days return! My goal is to do a boat tour of the everglades and do some diving in the reef! I will be documenting the whole trip with my go-pro and am planning to make a cool little video of the trip! and give ride reports each night! [​IMG] 3,300 miles here I come!

Attached Files:

thirsty 1, ACR, PA Dewayne and 3 others like this.
  2. igi2003

igi2003 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    will follow your report for my planned end-of-October trip...
    dakmrg91 likes this.
  3. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Motorcycling and or reef diving always has my attention :clap
    dakmrg91 likes this.
  4. ob1quixote

ob1quixote Long timer

Oddometer:
    John Pennekamp State park has camping, snorkel boats on site.
    Easy to find other dive boats in the area.
  5. dakmrg91

dakmrg91 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the waterproof case for the Gopro too so I will get some cool shots of that!
  6. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    I'm certainly curious to see how the AF performs.....so I'm in !!!!
  7. dakmrg91

dakmrg91 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm curious too! The past 1k of miles have been great so far! :)
    goodcat likes this.
  8. dakmrg91

dakmrg91 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just Installed a NEP throttle lock. Admittedly a little ghetto with cutting the edge of the throttle grip to make it work. I will replace the grip and get an electronic cruise after the trip. hoping to install an accessory charging port tonight.... that will not be a ghetto install! ;)

Attached Files:

9. dakmrg91

dakmrg91 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok guys! looks like im gonna get rained out, I am keeping an eye on the weather but if the rain persists, I may have to change my direction! any ideas that are about the same distance? I was thinking maybe South Dakota?
  10. wmdsasquatch

wmdsasquatch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nova Scotia!!! Newfoundland!! Go North.

Sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk
  11. dakmrg91

dakmrg91 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would love to but I dont have my enhanced license yet. I was thinking nova scotia for next year
  12. Flacrusher

Flacrusher So Many Bikes... So Little time! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw the title and thought ... hmmm interesting ride choice. Since I live in South Florida, I'll follow this RR. Then I read the 11 day departure date and thought... This guy is crazy! Not because of the distance, destination, timeline or bike choice but a combo of all the above!! And, I like crazy ideas.

If you decide to do this trip to Fla at this time of year, let me prepare you for what you might experience. Hours and hours of boring roads, HOT weather that will make you want to pass out, cagers that don't have any respect for bikers personal space and you will probably get soaked multiple times per day while in the sunshine state. Once in the keys, you will forget it all quickly, until you have to leave! Then, repeat the items above in reverse.

You might consider getting yourself and the AT on the auto train in Lorton Va. and it will drop you off in Fellsmere Florida. You'll save 12 hours of crappy interstate riding and at least 5lbs in sweat (each way). Once in Fellsmere, you'll still have plenty of time to ride South another 7 hours while you evaluate the venting ability of your current riding gear.

Seriously, I'd ride toward KY, TN, NC, VA, WV instead. Go hit the Smokey Mountain 500 and some other rides that the AT would be perfect at and would be fun. Florida in the summer SUCKS to ride in.

If you come to South Florida, I'm in the West Palm Beach area. PM me and I'll give you my cell number in case you need anything while traveling through. You know, like an IV, Gatorade, a steaming hot pool to swim in, tools, a cold beer, bright neon vest, etc.

Good luck!!!
    RC., Scubalong, PvtPts and 6 others like this.
  13. dakmrg91

dakmrg91 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LMAO!!!! I about died reading this! Had to show a couple co-workers it that equally think im crazy! If the rain isnt going to be hitting too hard I still plan to do this. Back up plan seems to be south dakota
  14. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Grumpy Santa

Oddometer:
    Take the backup plan... Two tropical storms heading for south Florida.
  15. dakmrg91

dakmrg91 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Should I open a new thread for the South Dakota trip? I also assume this will need to get deleted.
  16. Flacrusher

Oddometer:
    For the record, anyone scared of riding in a tropical storm is a pussy. You'd lose 2 months of riding down here some years. Think of the challenge of dodging cagers and a 50mph sidewind gust on wet roads. What could possibly be more exciting. You sure as hell won't fall asleep on the bike. If it blows you off road, you have the right bike for it.

Also, Hell no don't delete the report so far. Just ad an edit to the title and keep it going. Half the fun of reading a RR is seeing things unfold. You know... We love it when guys go from I'm going spear fishing to t-boning a Bison in SD.

Either way, it should be fun.
    Dessert Storm likes this.
  17. dakmrg91

dakmrg91 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tell you what, as wussy as it may seem, I was looking forward to the sun a bit! riding wet and soggy for 9 days straight just sounds awful when there is a alternative available! Your from the area, how is the weather outlook from ur end??
  18. Flacrusher

Oddometer:
    70% chance of rain all week . Smart call is riding somewhere else. Wish I could!!!
  19. Tinker07

Tinker07 Adventurer

Oddometer:

+1 on that ,Yeah I would ride north or west for sure Florida waaaaay to hot and muggy in August !!!! :-)
  20. Fddriver2

Fddriver2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Florida in the summer SUCKS to ride in."

+1 on this. I live in Ft Lauderdale. This is no time to be riding down here... Temps are in the low 90's heat index is 100+, humidity is 70-80%.

Traffic is down a little bit because the snowbirds are gone... but still....

If it were me. I would stay north and head west....

If you decide to come down pm me and if you need anything. I will gladly do what I can.