Intro and Dual Harley

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by CooperSmithingCo, Aug 19, 2011.

1. MODNROD

MODNROD Pawn of Petty Tyrants

Oddometer:
    I'm a racer, don't care what it is, pushbikes, hill trolley's, cars, tractors, it's all the same to me!
    So as a result, it took me the last 30 years of riding to get it out of my system, and consider other rides that suit me better now. It's funny, coz when with all my drag mates at the track, 1/2 of us say "Iron 883" when asked what streeter we'd get.
    All the attributes you spoke of, instant grunt, low CofG, no need for revs to pull away in traffic, and a long-ish seating position that's good for hours. I reckon if 1/2 of us dragbike guys are looking at Hoggleys, in particular Sporties, even though they're slower in top than our rides are in 3rd, then there's a lot to be said for that.

YOUR bikes, however, both of them, are the work of a craftsman. Sometimes not having being a daily rider for years on end gives you the freedom to build the things like no-one has seen before, and both of these bikes are like that, bloody excellent!:clap Especially the heat treated steel, really nice.

Oh yeah, I'm a drag-racer who likes scooters and Sporties, so I got no friends either, LOL!
    Maybe we should start a support group.......
  2. CooperSmithingCo

CooperSmithingCo Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Bottom feeder

Oddometer:

Right On Man!

Thanks for keeping a sense of humor.

Your bike's are amazing.
  4. tragerbon

tragerbon 2019 KLX 250

Oddometer:
    WOW..... Is that what you were being, perhaps next time you won't act like a man LOL !
  5. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard.

You need to get out and ride, all work and no play make Joe a dull boy.
  6. brontotx

brontotx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is an interesting comment by you given that you did exactly that (IMHO) in jdrocks' ninja beast build thread when you questioned whether his trail was sufficient/safe. I'm not trying to start a flame war... I like your bikes and you have some mad skillz - keep it up and keep posting! :deal
  7. CooperSmithingCo

Oddometer:

Yeah as soon as I posted that I was waiting for someone to come along and burn me for it. I'll drink my medicine.
  8. NYP797

NYP797 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not to denigrate your latest effort in the least, but it struck me that it had the immediate visual simplicity of what a Buell Blast should have been. The space and air around all the components is spectacular. The exhaust system has the flowing lineage of a cartoon; just fluid perfection. The bike looks like it came out of a cookie mold. You have my highest attribution to your continuity of effort and your execution perfection. Way out Waco....would love if you could let us hear those pipes....Rave On!
    nyp797, Queens, NY
    2001 W650
    2007 Sportster 883R
    2010 Kaw ER-6n
  9. B.C.Biker

B.C.Biker mighty fine

Oddometer:
    Luv'n it. Where can a guy get more info on the body work ? Maybe I'm just to much of a hick but never ( knowingly) seen the heat treated stuff before. Does it get cleared over or does it not rust anymore ? :ear
  10. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    Those are both... just... beautiful.

Period.
  11. MOTO DUDE

MOTO DUDE Rydin Dirty

Oddometer:
    Nice work " Joe tuff balls " :poser Both bike are killer!
  12. FXRocket

FXRocket Phoneticide Squad

Oddometer:
    I really like that bike, nice work. Outstanding in fact.
  13. Savoir-Faire

Savoir-Faire Powered by Hate

Oddometer:
    I like you, man. I like that bike; very original. Haven't seen anything like it. Well made, well executed. The pipe is awesome and I like how you used an 883 for the engine. Very classy.

Like your attitude too. Fuck all those other guys who don't / can't like all bikes. Harley, Sport, Metric, Euro, whatever. If it has two wheels I'm interested, most likely. Very, very well executed. Did I mention how nice the exhaust is?

P.S. That muffler and headers is freakin' awesome...

:rofl
  14. pennswoodsed

pennswoodsed lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer:
    Well, I can meet on Thursdays, but picnic must be in November.....

Stonking cool bike !
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love the look of it, and it appears to be pretty ridable as well (heat issue not whithstanding). I look forward to the finished product.

By the way, that exhaust is amazing, as is the heat treated bodywork!

Jim :brow
  16. CooperSmithingCo

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that's the Ossa alright and I'm pretty excited to breathe life back into that bike. It'll be the first bike I build to keep in a long long time.
  17. CooperSmithingCo

Oddometer:

Man you're not kidding! I was driving through Montana last week and I swear you could see for 50 miles in all directions. I kept looking out at the endless hills thinking how great it would be to have a bike with a fishing pole and a rifle strapped to the back; making a new trail where there wasn't so much as a power line.
  18. CooperSmithingCo

Oddometer:
    I've never seen a clearcoat over bare steel that didn't eventually rust and bubble. Even if it took years to happen, at that point a repair attempt would likely destroy the etching and coloring.

For that matter, I've seen plenty of fully painted vehicles where when they've been neglected in the rain, the rust eats completely through the body. Conversely, I've seen bare tin signs, cans and other metal components left to die in the weather and never corrode so badly. I think the effect of corrosion is multiplied when moisture is trapped beneath a barrier.

The body work is protected from flash rust with the heat treat, and further protected using a penetrating oil/wax mixture. Having said that, I'm sure it will require periodic maintenance and oiling, much like a gun or something of that sort. It's kind of like a cautious driver is a better safety implement than seatbelts or helmets.

Either way, I'm completely okay with the possibility of tarnish or mild corrosion over time. Actually I think the bike will look it's best after 20 years of being ridden and worn in.
  19. MODNROD

MODNROD Pawn of Petty Tyrants

Oddometer:
    I use olive oil on my stainless (yeah, right!) steel splashbacks in my kitchen.

Possibly a mix of diesel and light mineral oil would do the job without attracting bugs.......or pasta.......

Should last a long time though. I've made mild steel exhausts for some of my bikes, and if they get ridden once every week or two they don't rust, just turn blue/green and shine.
  20. Knute Dunrvnyet

Knute Dunrvnyet Padawan

Oddometer:
    Very, very nice!!!!!!:clap:clap:clap:clap
    WANT