Intro: ErnieA and my '06 VStrom

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by Hotshoe40Q, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Hotshoe40Q

Hotshoe40Q Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello All:

I've been lurking on/off for a while now and decided now that I have my "ADV" bike finished, and tested, it was time to say hello. Hello!

I've had a long history of owning and racing Suzuki's over the past 41 years. My first bike was a 1964 Suzuki 80 scrambler followed by 8 others, so it feels like coming home.

Here is the "beast" before I got started messing with her:

[​IMG]

She is a 2006 and it only had 1706 miles on her when I bought her this past November. The original owner bought it for his wife and lowered the beast. It was never comfortable for her and sat unused since June '07.

I wanted to make this bike into a two-up capable dual sport for me and my wife. So the bike took on this transformation:

I wanted luggage for back-roading and traveling. I asked your own FPK for his reccomendation (since anyone riding "V's" as much as he has should know what to do) and he said he was looking into Micatech Paniers. I decided on the 10" (Big A$$) paniers and the SW Motech mounts. These were interesting for me because I wanted the side opening and enough room to fit our BMW luggage from our LT. The choice did not dissapoint.

[​IMG]
    The mounts

[​IMG]
    The Bags

To be a capable two-up bike for us it needed some communication. I decided on the J&M 2003CB with integration. With this system (which I have installed before) I was able to integrate my Zumo 550 and V1 radar detector. However I could not find a shelf unit to fit all of my crap so I designed and built one. It might not be as functional, or hold as much stuff as FPK's, but it seems to work ok.

[​IMG]
    Shelf Mockup

[​IMG]
    Shelf with rubber mounting

[​IMG]
    Shelf done!

Next was the lights. I wanted to HID this thing and after seeing FPK's lights I had to have'em on mine! I bought the DDM H4 low beams and went about to find room for the ballasts. The double stick tape is not the answer when it comes to a lasting install of electrical items (DAMHIK). I found that there was room for a bracket to be mounted behind the headlights themselves. The only issue is getting into the adjustments screws, but I can deal with that on the bike bench between rides.

[​IMG]
    Ballast mount

Now for some decent HID road lights. I wanted to use the high beam switch to power the relay so I did the unthinkable and cut into the loom and rewired the system so I can switch them on with the passing switch or the HB switch. With a 400 watt system I know that I'm risking over taxing the alternator running all of the lights at once, but counting the numbers still leaves me some room for accessories. I decided to convert all of the other bulbs on the bike to LED to help the system even more. With all of the lights on the volts are above 12.5 at idle and 13.5 at 4k rpm. Even with my heated gear it still operates above 12.8 at cruzing speeds. I can see a digital volt meter in this bikes future for helping to regulate the accessories.

I am not impressed with some of the light bar choices for this bike. I decided to make my own mounts. I decided on an old school Baja look for my new FutureVisionHID.com FV90 HID's found here http://tinyurl.com/4lolf5u[/B].

[​IMG]
    HID Road light mounts (pat. pend. :wink:) mock-up

[​IMG]
    Mounted and tested. I added some additional rubber mounting to support the added weight and protect the ABS fairing from future fatigue and subsequent cracking.

[​IMG]
    HID's finished!

[​IMG]
    HID's lit UP! :clap

Now it was time to take her for a shake down trip. I decided to take her to the SW and visit my friend who snowbirds in Indio, CA. My shakedown trip was a paltry 3300mi trip. :wink:

[​IMG]
    Hoover Dam and the new Memorial Bridge

[​IMG]
    Route 66

[​IMG]
    Anza-Borrego Desert - My off-road shot :rofl:rofl

On the way home I decided that the plate backer had to be legit and did a SS1k (actually a 1126mi) trip in 19:19 hours. :1drink

My conclusion:

I like the bike! It is fun, flick-able and easy to ride. I think that we will have many hours and miles of fun on her. The seat will have to be re-worked before I do many more 1k mile days on it but that was expected in the first place so no whining on that count. Raising the suspension back up before leaving was a good thing too. The balance of the height with the width of the bike made cornering and dragging anything a non-issue.

Who knows what I'll change next. I need to make up something for a throttle locker that will work with the hand guards and factory heated grips. I've tied a couple of clamp types and they will not fit without cutting the grips and that would be a step in the wrong direction.

Thanks for the band-width and the chance to introduce myself. I hope to meet up with some of the NW ADV riders as we tool around the back roads of the West.

ErnieA
    Milwaukie, OR
  2. ki4idb

ki4idb V Strom Rider

Oddometer:
    I can tell you from experience that silver color of yours is the faster color. Looks great ....
  3. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a very nice Noob farkeling report!!
  4. Hotshoe40Q

Hotshoe40Q Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We'll see when I get out on a ride with some of you experienced 'Strom riders. I'll have to take the garbage cans off of her to get some aerodynamics back in a drag race. Thanks for the complement.
    :1drink
  5. Hotshoe40Q

Hotshoe40Q Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why thanks a lot Timmer. It has been a lot of fun reading the reports on ADV and learning some of the differences in touring platforms. My road bike is a lot different and even though it has been on back roads and some surly dirt roads it was never meant for that kind of punishment. I fully expect to take this machine on those roads and hope it responds in a more favorable manner than what I'm used to. Our first two-up trip will be in late May to the Steens Mountain loop. A three or four day stay in the Frenchglen Hotel is always an excellent experience. Wanna join us? :D