Intro/Off centre/Thrashers Terrifying Trek

Discussion in 'Australia' started by lemmiwinks, Jun 6, 2004.

1. lemmiwinks

lemmiwinks sometime dirt squirter

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, been lurking here for a while and thought it was about time I said g'day. I'm in northern NSW and recently bought a XF650 Freewind after agonizing over the DR650/KLR650 choice for ages. The Freewind suits my needs best as I dont really go off road much at all, but I want to have the option and be able to feel confident should I decide to go bush. Obviously I wont be riding any single track, but I've found it a blast on normal dirt roads as well as performing well on the tar (rode the Oxley from Walcha -> Long Flat and back yesterday).

I've also got a badly beat up '83 IT250 which I sometimes pretend I can ride in enduros/pony express and a long suffering '86 XT250 which I was commuting on but it inspired me to get the Freewind as I like to tour long distances too.

Anyway, enough of that, is anyone here going to the Off Centre Rally or Thrashers Terrifying Trek in August this year? I dont know if I'll be able to attend both as I'm off to Mildura on the XF650 this weekend for the Wintersun Rally, but I'm determined to make the Off Centre at Innimincka, though with the price of fuel these days I might have to sell a kidney! I've read some funny stuff about the trek into/out of Thrashers so I'm keen to go (plus the fireworks sound pretty cool) and it'd be good to hook up with a riding partner if anyone is heading there from northern NSW or even to meet a few friendly faces at the rally.

Cheers,
    Ash.
  2. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Im going to both the Offcentre and the TTT. for the Offcentre see the outback meeting thread here for more details.

For the TTT, what do you want to know ??

If you want give me a call on 0425 309 975

Greg
  3. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    For the OCR see
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33914

For the TTT I have -
    Signposted from a turnoff from the Wombeyan Caves-Taralga road. Can be at different sites each year, or back to an old site...
    COMMENTS
    TTT = Thrashers Terrifying Trek
    This rally is one for the Daredevils who enjoy a challenge as the road (?) can be difficult, particularly if it has been raining or snowing (neither of which is unheard of). Otherwise, the triple T is a BYO rally, with no food or drink available, so stock up at Mittagong or Taralga. Large bonfire on the Saturday night. Special badge issued to the first 25 arrivals. Water is avalible together with firewood around the campsite.

Note 'fireworks' umm non of the visual kind .. but rather audio. Maybe some shock wave to go with that... keep your head down.
  4. lemmiwinks

Oddometer:
    Thanks for putting me on to that thread Greg, very informative. I take it it was you who posted the thread in aus.motorcycles too? For the OCR I might be hooking up with a guy from Canberra who is riding his GPX250, but last time I was talking to him he was talking about Tibooburra which is a fair bit out of the way from here, but maybe thats a good thing...

Initally I was thinking about Armidale -> Cunnamulla the first day via some backroads to make things interesting then Cunnamulla to Innamincka via Thargominda and the adventure way the next day. Its ony about 196kms of dirt, but I'm only starting out at this whole thingy. I wanted to come back via Camerons Corner, but reading in the other thread about your intended route, I think I might prefer to hook up with you (possibly at White Cliffs) and come up through the Corner that way. Then I can come home the way I was going to go up. Then again I see that some people were looking for SE QLD/ northern NSW people to join up so I'll check in that thread.

As for TTT, well I wanted to know who's going so I can tag along, but this OCR looks like it could be a fair effort, so I might skip TTT and conserve energy for it instead.

I'll give you a call when I know more about my OCR preparations.

Cheers,
    Ash.
  5. lemmiwinks

Oddometer:
    Hi Frank,

Been reading that thread, looks like I'll have no shortage of riding partners. Damn glad I discovered there's more to this site than just the ride reports section! :D Good to see plenty of Aussies in here to.

Yep, your page is one of the very few that turns up in google for Thrashers Terrifying Trek, but I might wuss out this year in favour of the OCR which sounds lots more exciting!

Cheers,
    Ash
  6. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    If your going to do ONE OCR the this is the one. But you will probably find that you like them.