Introducing the Northern New England Adventure Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Canuman, Mar 3, 2012.

1. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe. There was a sign saying no motorized vehicles allowed.

Here's the coordinates of the locked gate.
    N 45 02.825
    W 071 06.453
  2. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    East Branch road. It's usually open to motorized traffic after Memorial Day. If push comes to shove, you can ride north out of the Conte Wildlife refuge, where you may or may not have to dodge a gate between Norton and Averill. In any event, it's good to go as slow as seems prudent on the East Branch's northern end. It's a private road, and the residents get huffy.

3. ForestFrog

ForestFrog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good stuff thanks for the update on this trail! keep it coming
  4. levain

Oddometer:
    I feel like I'm kinda paving the way for this season's riding if anyone is planning it.

Eating a huge meatball sub at pats pizza in Dover-Foxcroft.
    [​IMG]

Riding has been great today, but there is a pretty challenging couple miles on Dyer Rd.
    N 45 26.423
    W 69 45.302

Its mud, rocks, more mud, bigger rocks, Woops, puddles ranging from nothing to 12"deep 10' wide. Hairy 2 track. As I was going through it, I was thinking about the big bikes in docking pilots report. I wouldnt want to be on my tiger with full knobbies here, but I'm not a great rider. As always YMMV, but you've been warned.
    It's early in the season and it's been raining. Dry, it would be fine.
    [​IMG]
    Erinaceous likes this.
  5. ForestFrog

Oddometer:
    looks like your doing good time
  6. levain

Oddometer:
    My plan was to get to Houlton tonight. Not sure what happened with the day but it didn't happen. Camping in the rain isn't my idea of a good time, so when I saw a few options just off the trail, I took it. I'm in a motel in Millinocket. Wifi. Shower. Clean panties drying. Hummus and beer from the grocery store next door. Feeling pretty good about my decision.

Lots of good riding today! Unfortunately, there was a detour due to an obstruction in the middle of the track. That doesn't just happen. It was put there. I could've gotten around it. There's just enough room to squeeze around to the left, but figured there was a reason and I got burned yesterday. Looking at the picture it's much tighter than it appears...

N 45 18.397
    W 68 44.446

[​IMG]

I love bridges. Don't know why

[​IMG].

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even got to go over a snowmobile bridge on my detour

[​IMG]

Some random photos of the day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of this today
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow I'll finish the track to Houlton then make my way down to start the Downeast Sunrise. If anyone knows an interesting track I'd love to hear about it. No time to go I to NB unfortunately. We'll, maybe if I can figure out the short version....
    Erinaceous likes this.
  7. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    You'll love the two track right out of the box tomorrow leaving Millinocket.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk Pro
  8. levain

Oddometer:
    Good! That's what I'll be ready for. Tomorrow. Looks like i made the right decision TONIGHT!
  9. ForestFrog

Oddometer:
    Interesting, have a good rest. I really need to the trip this summer then. Is it possible to do this from houlton to white mountains in 2 full days of riding?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
  10. levain

Oddometer:
    Where in the white mountains? I could've finished it today. Maybe.

What I'm learning is that its not as straight forward as it may seem. One detour and you can lose a couple hrs. The detours have been really great though. You just need to be ready for it. Sounds like the locked gate from yesterday will be unlocked soon. Frankly, what I did was better, but I couldn't have planned it. When I popped out, I wasn't far from the original trail, but it was 20ish miles of damn good riding. I haven't seen any actual logging going on other than a few loaded trucks, but I can imagine that if you come up on them harvesting, it could really slow you down.
  11. ForestFrog

Oddometer:
    From Houlton Maine to Gorham, Mount Washington in 2 full days of riding and probebly staying one night at the "Forks" in Maine?

12. levain

Oddometer:
    Yeah. You could do that. Allow for rain, locked gates and logging trucks.
  13. levain

Oddometer:
    Made it to Houlton!

[​IMG]

The real reason to go the extra couple miles once you hit Houlton is for this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slicker than snot on deer guts.
    -Tom Waits

Docking pilot is right. The section out of Millinocket is great. It's raining today and they're grading so the track is just a complete mess. Fun though. I was looking through his report last night. Now, I'm wondering if this was the stretch where he Commented how fast you could go? Not today! The boys are setting it up for future Advriders though!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another cool bridge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Erinaceous likes this.
  14. ForestFrog

Oddometer:
    Nice picture!! Thanks for the feedback!! This trail needed a update since dockingpilot went at it in 2008 if I recall correctly!

15. levain

Oddometer:
    If you're staying in the us, and live in southern NE it seems fitting that you're journey goes through the DownEast.

Stop here to fill up. The ladies are so nice and they're struggling to support themselves and raise 4 children/grandchildren without state support which has gotten all too easy to obtain in Me(as well as RI).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Erinaceous likes this.
  16. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    That's it !

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk Pro
  17. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    great report so far. what town are the pie ladies in?
  18. levain

Oddometer:
    Damn. You know what, I didn't even think about getting the coordinates until you asked. It's really close to the turnoff for the DownEast sunrise trail if you're coming from around the bay, as I did on rt 1.

Heres an approximate location with coordinates. It's not exact but close enough. If you stop, tell them Jim from Seven Stars Bakery sent you. It'd be really cool to see a bunch of advriders stop by!! They said they'd be in touch. Nicest people in the world and I'd love to see them make something of their new little bakery.

N 44 57.222
    W 067 10.350

The right turn off rt 1 is Ayers Junction Rd

[​IMG]
  19. ForestFrog

Oddometer:
    Are you going to make that track(GPX file) available for others???

20. levain

Oddometer:
    Which :ear

I just followed the tracks at the beginning of this thread, the one for the DownEast trail also in tracks. I took rt 1 all the way from Houlton to the DownEast. I stayed the night in Calais cos it was just pissing down rain all day. Today, well what a difference a day makes!

Currently tending a fire with wet wood, nursing a beer in bar harbour! [​IMG]