Introducing the Northern New England Adventure Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Canuman, Mar 3, 2012.

1. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Burn baby!

[​IMG]
  2. levain

Oddometer:
    They have a Facebook page:clap
  3. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    Excellent RR, thanks so much. We probably ought to keep the ride reports out of "tracks," as the mods will get sticky at some point. Thanks for doing the route, and to Dockingpilot and the NB guys as ever.
  4. levain

Oddometer:
    Got it. Didn't mean for my posts to turn into a mini RR, but I could see how it appears that way. Mods let me know if you want anything edited or moved.
  5. Big-O

Big-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just sent pm's to Canuman and Docking pilot asking if the gpx files in post #10 were the most up to date gpx files for this ride. Also, I was wondering if any of you guys have contact numbers for requesting permits for the states of NH and Maine so that I can have them on hand prior to the ride. Or for that matter, is it just as easy to go to a place while in the state to get the same. I was hoping to do this ride in the next few weeks and I'll be leaving from the Adirondaks in NY. First I would like to ride the Puppy dog trail, northbound in Vermont than jump into this trail. Any info or feedback would be greatly appreciated. -Greg
  6. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Usually, I've found it easier to ask forgiveness than permission. That being said, I've had one stop in ten years, and the Maine wardens are fine men.
    Erinaceous likes this.
  7. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    ^^
    How true ! :lol3

PM answered. Enjoy !
  8. levain

Oddometer:
    I didn't give the tracks too much thought. Just uploaded the tracks here, with docking pilots tracks and hit the road. I figured I'd deal with any diversions as they came up, and that's what I did. It worked out fine.
    As for the permits, I got the one for the downeast beforehand and travelled with the receipt I printed at home. I didn't get any other permits.

I did about 95% of the PDR, NNEAT tracks that are found in tracks only a few months back. The PDR might as well be paved, but it was a fun ride. Some sections of this trail were hairy, but it was mostly because of all the grading that was happening while I was there. I'm sure it's really smooth by now. It's beautiful country and very remote. A couple days in a row, I didn't see a soul for 100 miles and that's not exaggerating. Know your bike, but esp. How to fix a flat because no one will be around to help you.

Post some pictures too:clap
  9. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's funny - I got stopped yesterday... though I was on a trail marked as OHRVs only. The connector rail trail between Gorham and Berlin. There were two officers on ATV's running radar (fortunately someone waved me down ahead of them, so I was only going 25). They stopped me and a random guy on another vstrom who followed me in off of route 2. I had my NH OHRV sticker and was all registered and what not. The guy who didn't have one (from Quebec) got a written warning.

I got into a friendly discussion with the officers about where you can and can't ride, and dropped the names of the main dirt sections of the NNEAT through New Hampshire (there really isn't much... NH is skinny up top there). Since it's all public right-of-way, nothing more than a street-registered, street-legal bike required.

I rode the section from Pittsburg, NH to the top of Cupsuptic lake in Maine (in the opposite direction from that) this past weekend and had no problems. My buddy who has stock tires on his Vstrom and not a lot of dirt experience had a great time and no issues, either.

As I understand it (haven't ridden it all myself), the NNEAT does not travel on any OHRV-only trails, so you shouldn't need an OHRV sticker.You should definitely get something for Maine if you plan on riding the Downeast Sunrise trail or anything else ATV-specific. I understand you can probably get away with the beg forgiveness part, but everyone else pays to use the trail, you should, too. The Sunrise trail isn't on the NNEAT.
  10. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    The Sunrise Trail was not complete when I made the route a few years back. It absolutely should be incorporated into it now.
    And your right, get the Maine permit. It does not cost much and helps pay for the trail maintenance and construction.
  11. levain

Oddometer:
    We need a connection from Houlton to it though. It was raining that day, so I slabbed it.
  12. DockingPilot

Oddometer:

But you would miss the excellent section form Houlton north to Van Buren, not to mention the NB sections.
    If time allowed, I would do that then cross back in at Calias Me and pick it up.
  13. levain

Oddometer:
    I know. I just ran out of time, or I would've done that. :cry
  14. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Understandable. That's a big loop. I think we did the whole thing in 12 days starting in upstate NY
  15. levain

Oddometer:
    For anyone else, it was 7 days, 1900 miles for me. Providence->PDR->NNEAT->slab south from Houlton to Downeast, then slab back roads home to PVD along Maine coast. It's a great loop, but I'd love to find a dirt connector from Houlton, and again home through Maine.
  16. levain

Oddometer:
    Love to hear some updates on this. Am I the only one that has done the NNEAT in its entirety this season so far? Come on guys, get out there:clap
  17. Piston

Piston Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just checking in to see if there are any updates or recent ride reports on this?
  18. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I heard that there were a couple more, but they're shy and not used to speaking in pubic. Oops, in public.

19. novaboy

novaboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey folks,

Rob Harris (editor of Canada Moto Guide) and myself will be putting together an off road route from the New Brunswick/Maine border, through northern NB, down into Nova Scotia and through to both Digby, NS (ferry back to NB) and Yarmouth, NS (ferry to Portland, Maine). We will be filming it and making a documentary for Canada Moto Guide. Plan is to do the ride next July, and have local riders guide us through their riding areas. It's going to be big bike friendly.

Wanted to post on here, because we plan to hook into the New England Adventure Trail, thinking our trails would make a good loop for U.S. riders to get back to Maine without backtracking too much.

Love to hear your thoughts, ideas, etc.

Rob and I plan on making a rough routing this winter, and then once we ride it in July have more detailed mapping and GPX files available.

Cheers
    Terry
    Erinaceous likes this.
  20. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Hi Terry a good source would be the NB Dual Sport Club. Super nice guys there.
    Frank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk