Introducing the Northern New England Adventure Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Canuman, Mar 3, 2012.

1. rdcamp

rdcamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys I am very curious about doing this trail.

I'd probably be doing it the week after jul4.

Where does one get the necessary permits?
  2. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. K75Guy

K75Guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For those who have ridden this, what would you estimate for a total time to ride? I'd like to put together a ride with some friends over Columbus Day, but trying to figure out how much time to take plan for.
    We have ridden the Puppy Dog a couple times, and that seemed to take 2 days of not really charging it too hard. Thoughts on the Newport to the sea portion?
    Also a friend is interested in driving support in his 1960's Scout, I assume the whole route is passable for a 4x4, but any thoughts on that? Other than, that the bikes may end up supporting the old Scout :evil
  4. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    I did the entire trip from stem to stern in 8 days I think it was. Be sure to include the Sunrise Trail on the way back south in Maine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure where you're coming from.

I did a 7 day loop. Right around 2K miles. Providence->Puppy Dog->NNEAT->S. from Houlton to Downeast Sunrise Trail->Meandered Maine coast with an overnight in Portland->Home.

I could've easily made it in 6 days if I cut out the sunrise trail and portland, but it would've been a slog home to Providence. For the most part, its easy riding. There were a few sections that a 4x4 wouldn't make it through, but that may have been due to the time of year that I went. Lots of grading and a few diversions. Some I was happy about! I think its worth noting that I ride pretty hard when solo. I don't stop much other than for gas, food and to pee. The roses smell just fine while riding:lol3:lol3

Its a really great ride. I encourage anyone in the Northeast to do it, and its easy to do parts on the way further north or into the Maritimes. Parts of it are very desolate. Lots of logging roads, so lots of debris in the roads. My ride starts at post 189..
  6. jconly

jconly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For sure.. DP I used some of your routes and info last year when riding to NB and NS from NYC.

Took the Sunrise Trail on my way home. I feel like there is no faster way to cut through Maine. So efficient, compared to backroads or painful interstate. Just made sense. Forget all the tourists slowly wandering the coast.
  7. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that entire trail open to motorcycles?
  8. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    It was in 08'
    I made the route with help from inmates here and the New Brunswick DS Club.
    Good guys

9. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is cool... thanks.

10. cdriscollmeir

cdriscollmeir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Sunrise Trail is open to bikes, but you are supposed to be registered as an ATV in the state of Maine. I think it's around $65 so they don't make it easy for out of staters to comply. I think they are kind enough to offer a 7 day pass at $55 to make it more enticing. :dunno My understanding is that street legal motorcycles are allowed to be on green ATV trails in Maine without registering as an ATV (i.e. on the blueberry barrens), though all converted Railroad beds (especially the Sunrise trail - basically anything that has state money thrown into it) requires registration. However, playing dumb can often get you far...
  11. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    We bought the registration for our bikes and if you were to ask me I would advise you to as well. For the very reason stated above. The state and taxpayers of Maine have paid to make these trails what they are. We enjoy them and should kick in. If I was from Maine nothing would go up my ass more sideways then a couple of out of state motorcyclist using state funded trails without buying a pass. I'm sure you would anyway Jeff.

12. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I would add also to show respect for others on these trails. If I remember right, speed limit is only 35. Don't go ripping down the trail. I tried to pull over anytime someone was coming my way.
  13. wi11cu

wi11cu n00b

Oddometer:
    You obviously put some work into that. Thanks! I am trying to put together a trip through northern Maine. I was using basemap from Garmin. Not sure if the roads I chose are all open to bikes. Also it would be nice to find someone to travel with. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks
  14. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    What do you mean by "green ATV trails" - the ones marked by green dashes on the state map?

Do you have a reference for this or is this just your understanding? It was my understanding that you had to be registered as an ATV to operated on ATV trails. I was planning on registering my DRZ as an ATV in Maine, but if street-legal bikes are permitted, that might change my plan.

From what I can find online, Maine Dual Sport & Dirt Bike Association still recommends registering your dual sport bike with an ATV sticker. I think all the work on clarification was so street-legal motorcycle could be registered with an ATV sticker as well. From what I understand, it used to be either/or and not both...

Best info I could find:

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com...eement_with_state_on_proper_registration.aspx
  15. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just pick up a sticker, no issue if you end up on the wrong trail and it helps support the resource.
  16. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was my plan all along... Just playing devil's advocate to help clarify actual legality for dual sport riders planning to visit the state of Maine. It gets pricey, though... between the ATV stickers for NH (my home state) and Maine, I spend over $100 per bike on top of the street registration. Yeesh.
  17. VT-GSD

VT-GSD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Three of us are heading out on this journey on the 18th. Any updates/recommandations/advice from someone who recently did the route?
    We are doing my dirt road track from southern VT up to Pittsburg then picking up the route from there.

Thanks,
    Alex
  18. billll

billll \m/

Oddometer:
    Doing the ride in august so I'm curious as well...

VT-GSD do you have tracks for your route you'd be willing to share?
  19. VT-GSD

VT-GSD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No problem, where in VT do you want to pick it up from? We are starting this trip in woodstock,VT. But can give you a dirt road track from a lot of places along mass boarder (I have a lot). PM me through ADVrider on where to email it.

Alex
  20. billll

billll \m/

Oddometer:
    Thanks will PM. I was thinking I'd do puppydog > summit > nneat but anything you could recommend would be great.
    - Bill