Introducing the Northern New England Adventure Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Canuman, Mar 3, 2012.

1. AdvRich

AdvRich Long Time SmugMug Patron/Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the updates.
    Snake Oiler and fairweatherider like this.
  2. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about riding this in mid-October.

Will I need the ATV sticker for Maine only for this route? Or NH and VT as well?

What sort of weather should I expect this time of year?

Are the most up to date tracks still in the OP? Or did I miss more recent ones?

Thanks!
  3. ERRN

ERRN Huh! What?

Oddometer:
    Mid October will be great almost zero bugs but it'll be cold at night so bring appropriate warm gear. You'll only need the sticker in Maine as far as I know. I just did Vermont and parts of NH earlier this summer and didnt think I needed a sticker. If you get shut down in Maine head over to Vermont and do the Puppy Dog from north to south its fun and easy and the leaves will be awesome. Try to down load the 2018 version of the Puppy, I've done both and just got back yesterday (45 degrees all day) from doing the new route which is a much cleaner route to follow.
    Snake Oiler and GravelRider like this.
  4. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply! Turns out this trip won't be happening. I was actually going to be up there for work, and wanted to do some of the route in my free time. Now I'll be going to VA instead. I'll try to find some good riding there instead.
    ERRN likes this.
  5. Sir. Waffles

Sir. Waffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone done the original route or a have a valid route done 2019? I'm looking for a big bike dirt route through Maine and avoiding any private roads issues.
    JT11 likes this.
  6. ERRN

ERRN Huh! What?

Oddometer:
    I did parts fo it in July from Rangeley back to Newport. Alot of it in Maine was off limits to bikes due to logging ops but most of NH was open and rideable on a GS.
  7. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which Newport? Newport Maine? You mention NH and there's a Newport, NH (as well as Vermont and RI).
  8. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Just how close does this follow the MAT?
  9. ERRN

ERRN Huh! What?

Oddometer:
    Newport VT. The NNEAT starts in Newport VT and ends in Houlton Maine. I have a video on youtube on the Over The Horizon Adventure Riding channel which shows part of my ride. It will me interesting to see where the new NEBDR goes relative to it.
  10. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the clarification.
  11. Sir. Waffles

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. A buddy and I were looking to use it as a way to get to New Brunswick in the first week of October. I think we will likely find another route as we don't need to spend a ton of time trying to find ways around dead ends.
  12. ERRN

ERRN Huh! What?

Oddometer:
    Your better off slabbing it to Ellsworth Maine and then taking the Sunrise rail trail east to the Maine/Canada border and then crossing into NB. Its not remote but its a fun 90 miles to get your dirt legs back. Go to gravel travel.ca for routes in NB, Gaspe peninsula eat and GPS routes you can use. He'll send you GPS tracks for the area, its a great resource. Have fun ride safe. If your not gonna make it to NB go to the Namakanta Wilderness it won't dissapoiont.
  13. Sir. Waffles

Oddometer:
    A quick look at the Sunrise Rail Trail, "Vehicles registered or built for on-road use such as cars, trucks, jeeps and motorcycles are prohibited." so I'm thinking that is not an option.

I've got the graveltravel.ca routes fro NB and Gaspe and was looking for a good way through Maine.
  14. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pay the ATV registration fee (you can do this online) and you will have no issue. I've been stopped in Maine by the game warden service and that's all they need. No issues on any trail open to ATV's.
    Klinc207 likes this.
  15. ERRN

ERRN Huh! What?

Oddometer:
    Agreed with sprouty115, the Sunrise is an all inclusive trail for everything from runners to bikes to atv's to snowmobiles just get the sticker and your all set, and truth be told when I did it I just sort of came upon it in Ellsworth and jumped on without a sticker. Its pretty remote from the standpoint that even though its close to towns I didn't see very many people on it at all. In a whole days ride I saw maybe 3 other people. Try it its fun and chill.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  16. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ha. I passed a guy on a skateboard with a weed whacker motor on it a few years back
    ERRN and sprouty115 like this.
  17. BMgreenmt

BMgreenmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone used these tracks lately?
  18. ERRN

ERRN Huh! What?

Oddometer:
    Was up in the Rangely Lake Maine area in July and tried to work it from there back west to its start in Newport VT. Most of the roads were closed due to logging. The route was open at Parmanche Rd (sic) west to about Pittsburg NH and then closed around the NH/VT border. I didn't go east from Rangely so I don't know the status of that area. Your probably holding off until the NEBDR route gets published in February and see how that shakes out. I spent time in the Nahmakanta Wilderness with great riding, that's the place to go.
    cyclopathic and Snake Oiler like this.
  19. BMgreenmt

BMgreenmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where is this wilderness area you speak of?.........
  20. ERRN

ERRN Huh! What?

Oddometer:
    The Nahmakanta is located about 20-25 miles east of Greenville Maine (on the southern shore of Moosehead Lake) and just southwest of Baxter State Park. Baxter doesn't allow bike but the Nahmakanta does. If you go to YouTube I put out a short video about my trip this August. Look up Over The Horizon Adventure Riding and you'll see it there. It'll give you an idea anyway.
    Snake Oiler and CavReconSGT like this.