Introduction: noob moving to Costa Rica

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by CRisthmus, May 29, 2014.

1. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay. Well PM when you get settled down there.
  2. DeFens

DeFens Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife and I just returned from a two week stay on the Osa Penninsula. We weren't on bikes (had a little Daihatsu Terios rental) but Tornados were a very common mode of transport and looked very capable.

There's a lot to see, and roads on the Osa were rough, but definitely bike-doable. My understanding is that October is the rainiest month in that region, and rivers can run high, so be careful in water crossings.

You should have a blast!
  3. CRisthmus

CRisthmus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks DeFens, we'll be close to the Osa. The Tornado should be just the ticket for those shitty roads!
  4. alejandro_gp200

alejandro_gp200 Two wheeled rocket

Oddometer:
    New, and not-so-old bikes must have RTV (inspection) done every 2 years, then each year.

When you buy any vehicle for public roads you must do the documentation, register to your own name and so, traffic laws here in CR now make the person wich appears in the vehicle´s documentation responsible for every damage or accidents the vehicle could be involved in.

And we welcome anyone from any coutry to come to CR!

Regards
  5. CRisthmus

CRisthmus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Alejandro, we will respect beautiful Costa Rica and it's people.
    Do you have an idea of the cost of marchamo for my Tornado?
  6. junglemototours

junglemototours trailplug

Oddometer:
    Marchamo is dependent on value, I pay about 80k C
    Here is a useful link; http://shippingcostarica.net/links-resources/

Good surf on the Osa, sometimes....good trails too.
    <IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YEknlgUSqXY" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Alejandro, you were going to ride with me last time, que pasado mae?

CR, mi vecino, I hope to make it down in Nov but it might not be 'til Feb, this day job is still in the way :cry
  7. CRisthmus

CRisthmus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can handle those rates. Nice ride 'cept for getting stuck in the mud.
  8. alejandro_gp200

Oddometer:

Well I dont know "que ha pasado"!! hahaha

I ride every day from my house to work anda back... and anywhere I want on weekends!

You tell me! Ill PM you with my phone number
  9. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    For 2014, I paid marchamo around $140 U.S. for a 2013 Honda CGL125.
  10. alejandro_gp200

Oddometer:
    Its probably about $180!

My Gs1200 pays around $200.

All bikes pay similar here in CR
  11. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys.

The wife and I will also be relocating to CR this winter from Ontario Canada. She'll be working in San Jose on a transfer from here.

Alejandro, we ride the F650/800GS's here at home but may not import them. Quick question but not trying to hijack:

How easy is to find either a wrecked F650GS Twin to fix or used parts? I like to do BMW repairs.

Thanks.
  12. alejandro_gp200

Oddometer:
    Well, not that easy to find a wrecked one or used parts, its already difficult to find new parts, dealers have the parts they need the most (mirrors, body parts, oil seals...) but others parts only by order...
  13. CRisthmus

CRisthmus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We made it down and this place is as beautiful as we remembered. It's not raining that much considering it's the green season. So I'm going to start looking around for my Tornado 250, I'm really leaning towards getting a brand new one. Does anyone know where the nearest Honda dealer is in the Southern Pacific zone? PZ/San Isidro? Can't find one online. Maybe Quepos? I saw some Chinese bikes and 125 Suzukis in Palmar Norte but that was it.
  14. Kamuk

Kamuk lost in the ozone again

Oddometer:
    In Quepos there is a Yamaha dealer, but no Honda. There was a Honda Shop 25 minutes away on the North side of Parrita but closed shop. I believe you may best be off by going to the main dealer in San Jose, but check with the moto shops in PZ in the chance they can better advise you and open that line of communication for when you need service and parts?
  15. CRisthmus

CRisthmus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right on Kamuk thanks
  16. CRisthmus

CRisthmus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a pretty good price on a new Tornado at the San Jose shop. Can anyone tell me what else is involved with the purchase like taxes on top of the price? Can I pay the marchamo the same day (and how?) so I can ride it out of there? Am I good for 2 years until my first RTV? Do I need a lawyer with a new purchase? I'll give the dealer a call but my Spanglish is no Bueno!
  17. coors

coors gs 1200

Oddometer:
    Good choice with the tornado, I have 15 000 km on my tornado, and most of the time, i prefer it over my klr..... in Guatémala one is worth a little bit over 5 000$ for your info.

Enjoy Costa Rica
  18. CRisthmus

CRisthmus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You bet coors, I think it will suit my needs just fine. I talked to the sales guy and it sounds like $5300.00 out the door with tax, lawyer, marchamo and a helmet. Not bad I thought considering all the used ones with low km's are over $4,000.00. Put tires, sprockets and chain (or whatever) on the used one and you're really close to new price. His English wasn't the best but from what I can tell I can borrow a plate from them (with deposit) for the 2 or 3 weeks it takes for mine to come in. Should have it this week!
  19. coors

coors gs 1200

Oddometer:
    Go with the new one, you're right

I personnally like:

-The price

- it's a honda :clap

-6 gears, great highway riding up to 110-115 at low rpm (got 128km/h at most) but my jetting is change for altitude here. Original setup runs like shit over 6500 feet. way too rich, you should be ok in costa rica.

-pretty tall for a small bike, riding position is comfortable.

- even if it is drum on back, good braking power 1 up (im 6 foot 210 pnds)

-big advantage on bigger bikes if you do mountain riding and trails, handles really good.
    -Original tires are Metzeler sahara enduro 3, was my first time riding this tire and i like it . I ride 50/50.

Lows

Of course it is a 250 so still a bit small on bigger roads

- the 2nd gear is`` too long`` if it gets technical

-the air filter is not washable, (change it often , if you do dirt)

-not many aftermarket parts for this model

-no kickstart

- riding it 2 up (300-320 pnds would be his limit but hey its a 250 :-) )

I rode it 2up on a 2 day trip with probably 350 pound total on the bike and it went well. I wouldnt do that too often

I would give it a 4/5 overall, i love it :rofl

-
  20. CRisthmus

CRisthmus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the review, is the suspension adjustable? preload on the rear I imagine, any adjustments on the forks?