Introduction: noob moving to Costa Rica

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by CRisthmus, May 29, 2014.

1. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    They were going to do the same for me when I bought my bike, but they ran out of temp plates delaying the process by a week, but it seems common-place. I'll be in P.Zeledón area for 7 weeks beginning late Jan of 2015. If you see a tall gringuito on this, wave, it'll be me.

[​IMG]
  2. junglemototours

junglemototours trailplug

Oddometer:
    There's a Honda shop in pz.
    Take the left up the hill and its the street past the 7_11 or close to it.....
  3. CRisthmus

CRisthmus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    pdedse can you wear a pink helmet so I can find you there're a million of those bikes around here. JMT, I tried contacting the shop in PZ and they never got back to me so I ended up going all the way to San Jose, the Honda shop in La Uruca, they were great to deal with. I rode it home the same day. I was surprised to get a helmet and rain gear included with the bike. They don't do that in Canada! All in was $5300.00 US.
    I really like the Tornado so far. A bit more power than I was expecting, cruising over 100kmh is no problem. I agree with coors on the review. I don't like the spacing between first and second gear, but I can live with it. Motor is really smooth for a thumper. It is pretty heavy for a small bike, I found that out after dropping it on a muddy hill. The tires are terrible on mud but pretty good on dry dirt and gravel, and great on pavement. It's really quiet, so much that it's hard to hear the revs, I might have to find what the locals are doing for a silencer. I'm guessing 5 pounds could be removed there. I noticed the steering head bearings making some noise already so maybe something was assembled correctly. The seat sucks ass, I'll see if seat concepts has something.
    Anyway, if someone wants to ride send me a msg. I'll pm the guys who already contacted me as well. I'll try posting a couple of pics now.
  4. jimmy2020

jimmy2020 limpiador de ventanas

Oddometer:
    Buying a new bike at the dealership is very easy. You will ride away with everything you need, including the RTV and Marchama. The only thing is that you will have to wait a few weeks to get the plate, but you will have paperwork to be completely legit. Also with a new purchase, you will only need to get a RTV (inspection) every two years.
  5. Denture Rider

Denture Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hola, Just thought I'd give ya my 5 cents worth.
    I've had a couple DRZ's and they are remarkably resiliant to Fu*kups. Both mechanical and of the rider variety...
    My GF had the 250 model and I have had two 400's (still have one ;) the more recent one with the big bore kit, exhaust and bigger jets in the carb.
    The DRZ's have incredinly interchanable parts with all other Suzi's.
    But you can ride threw/in Costa Rica on pretty much anything!
    I did 600 miles on a 150cc China street bike there and hit many trails!
    Course the speedo and everything broke apart, but hey that's why they make electrical tape!
    Carry extra gas, but people there tend to be really kind and well help you if you run out.
    Pura Vida baby!!!!
    P.S. I just got back from CR a few weeks ago. I've been to both coasts and have seen a lot in between.
    I wouldn't even bother with GPS routes. Pick a road and follow it. Unless you head to Limon or spend all your time in San Jose, or Gulfido or some other port/border town you will never feel unsafe.
    Take the raod less traveled and enjoy!
  6. CRisthmus

CRisthmus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes it was a piece of cake. Had to take the bike in for warranty already so went to San Isidro and it went fine. The clutch or something in the tranny was making a chirping/grinding sound on downshifts. Limited English but it sounded he said they adjusted the clutch even though there is no adjustment other than freeplay, which it had. It's all good now. So Jimmy, the dealer in San Jose said they will contact me in the middle of December for my new marchamo. Are they paying for it for another full year then?
    Still raining in the afternoons usually but I did put 900 km on it, it's a lot of fun in these hills. Couldn't get any pics loaded, I'll have to get the wifey to try. I wish I had all my tools and welder from Canada so I could get some kind of slip on and a rear rack on there :eek:( They don't have racks here for the Tornado but I did see the thread for the place in Quito that had them.
  7. alejandro_gp200

alejandro_gp200 Two wheeled rocket

Oddometer:
    Hi CRisthmus!!

Sorry for not answering soon.

Yes, the marchamo is paid every year, so if they pay it, don´t worry for the next year!

BTW: south-pacific is rainy all year long, not so much during the "dry season" (november - april) but serious rain the rest of the year.

I´m glad you enjoy the Honda!
    There´s a friend of mine that sell motorcycle accesories in San José, shop is called La Moto AG, his name is John (english speaker too), give him a call, I saw he has some topcases and that kinds of stuff (phone: 2258-1921)

He´s a very good friend of mine, say Alejandro Gómez told you to call.:D

Ride On!!
  8. CRisthmus

CRisthmus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No hay problema Alejandro, I guess it will be worth the trip back to San Jose for a free marchamo. And I will check out your buddies shop and see what he has. Let me know when you are in the area passing through (to Paso Canoas I think you said?) I haven't been that way so I'll go for a ride. Do you take hwy 2?
    So in total I received a helmet, rain gear, marchamo for 14 months, placa, reflective vest, rtv for 2 years for all in price of $5300.00. That's pretty good. Not minding the rain, less and less as the dry season starts. It's usually beautiful from 5:30 a.m. until about 3 p.m. Then it's time for a siesta. The beauty here has some compromises but it's worth it! Watching a couple of Toucans right now actually, the Howlers and parrots are making a racket, I'm in shorts and a t-shirt and a storm is about to hit my home town in Alberta with 30cm of snow , poor buggers.
    Off to the "highway of death" in the a.m. to get the first oil change in San Isidro to keep the warranty active, P.I.T.A but a really nice ride.
  9. alejandro_gp200

alejandro_gp200 Two wheeled rocket

Oddometer:
    Hahaha its fun your hometown is Alberta, I went there in september for the GS Trophy.
    I like riding the Rute 2 (cerro de la muerte) but it´s too cold then too hot, so wearing two different jackets is a mess.
    Most of the time I ride from/to Paso Canoas via Route 27 (costanera), but I really dont mind!

I think I´ll go to PZ (San Isidro) tomorrow morning!
  10. Lunatic

Lunatic Dan Keyhoety

Oddometer:
    DOWN ON THE BORDER , LAS CRUCES, NUEVO MEHICO
    Amigos,

I'll be in San Jose CR December 19th on my DR650.

Call me if you want to do some riding :clap

Saludos, Daniel :freaky

Cell #88569872
  11. CRisthmus

CRisthmus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lunatic, will you be heading South at all? Alejandro that's a long way to go to get a bike! What the hell? Did you go to Calgary or Edmonton (my home city)? Missed you in PZ by one day.
  12. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    Since posting here in September, so much has changed for me. I rode my GS down from Canada and yesterday I put an offer in on a Hotel in Ojochal.

You still there in Ojochal CRisthmus?
  13. CRisthmus

CRisthmus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Still here Reaver, I think we found our spot! lets go for a ride or a beer, or both.
  14. Reaver

Oddometer:
    Cool.

I'm living in Santa Ana ATM and still haven't heard on my offer. It wasn't refused, just not accepted yet. So I'm 3 1/2 hrs away now. If it's accepted then I have to go put more money down.Roughly where are you in Ojochal? The hotel is up near the Cascades about 8 minutes off the highway.
  15. CRisthmus

CRisthmus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Which cascades? There're some 5 minutes from our house. We are in Fase 9, we turn right at the yellow church, a couple more km to a bridge over a small river (just before the bridge there is a sign for cascadas turn left .4 km), then we are a couple more km.
  16. Reaver

Oddometer:
    Right, you go straight at this junction, over the bridge and up that real steep hill. If we buy that place, we'd turn left here, go for 100 ft then up the driveway on the left you can almost see. Cascades is further down the road to the right. We meant to go see it last time.

Did you buy there?

[​IMG]
  17. CRisthmus

CRisthmus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Too funny! Ya there's the sign for Fase 9 where we live. I think it was meant to be Reaver, let me know when you come back to seal the deal. We are renting for a long time before we buy, in March we will be straight past the church to the left for 6 months. We love the area, the people, expats and Tico's alike, the community feel, the beaches here, pretty much all of it.
  18. Reaver

Oddometer:
    I work in Aviation and have run into people I know in the damnedest places so nothing surprises me. While waiting to buy insurance in Belize, a guy pulled up on a bike that lives a few miles from me. Damn, small world.

If you're bored, my RR is in my sig line then having decided to stay here, it continues in Inmates under the same name.

We did a CR tour in '11 on 2 bikes and now we're here for possibly good. After viewing a dozen properties and spending endless hours looking, the place in Ojochal was the only one that excited us. The update today was "we need more time" from the owners in France.

Maybe we can do Panama on the bikes sometime? I'll go slow. :D
  19. CRisthmus

CRisthmus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ya it's pretty crazy some times. We met a lady here in Ojochal who's son-in-law I hung around with in high school. I will check out the RR for sure.
    "We need more time" sound promising. I'd be up for a Panama trip, I can get 130kmh out of the Tornado with a tail wind lol, it's happier below 100 though. We went today to look at your potential property but stopped when we got to the private property sign, so we couldn't see anything.
  20. Chiriqui Charlie

Chiriqui Charlie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let me know when you plan to head to Panama, I live right down the hill from the Rio Sereno crossing, and would be glad to cruise around the Highlands with you!