Inuvik and Alaska on an 1190R and Terra

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gozer, May 19, 2014.

1. gozer

gozer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One week from today, my 69 year old dad (Chazbo) and I are departing Seattle for an epic adventure to Inuvik and Alaska. We’ve discussed doing this trip for a couple of years, and started to get really serious about it last fall. My dad has been battling incurable prostate cancer for the last 14 years. He is in great shape and has long exceeded his projected life expectancy given when the cancer was first diagnosed. As a result he has periodic scans of his entire body and this last fall, one of the scans showed a spot growing on one of his lungs. Turns out that it was lung cancer. The tumor was successfully removed, and all is well to this point, but it gave us a little extra incentive to go for it this summer.

We have a fairly detailed route worked out, but I’m sure we’ll ignore it after the first couple of days. Neither of us are on a schedule, so this trip could last 6 weeks (if we do a ton of stuff) or 2 weeks (if we get sick of each other). In the next couple of days, I’ll put a post together that describes our route.

I’ll be riding a 2014 KTM 1190R and my dad will be riding a Husky TR 650 Terra, we’ll each add posts that will go into more detail on the bikes.

We are going to try to update this thread as we go along (depending on internet availability). Those of you who are interested can follow along a couple of different ways.

• I’ll have an InReach SE satellite messenger. You can follow our track on spotwalla at this link, or the Delorme page at this link. I’m providing both links as different browsers do better with one page or the other.
    • I’ll be updating my twitter account several times a day – I can do it w/my InReach, so I don’t need an internet connection. Follow along at @adv_guy.
    • My blog will also be updated fairly frequently here.

Once we return home, we’ll update this thread with a detailed ride report with edited pictures and a bunch of videos.

Before we leave, I’d also like to thank the community on advrider for being both a great inspiration, as well as an incredible resource for planning. Our trip would certainly be more difficult without y’all.
  2. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Congrats to you and your Dad for taking on this adventure! I love his courage taking on cancer and this ride. I hope you have a great ride.
  3. FongMan

FongMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Dad hates doing anything even slightly risky. Have fun and enjoy....:freaky
  4. Me4speed

Me4speed Dirt/pavement=Relief

Oddometer:
    This is a trip you will always remeber, envious of you and your opertunity.
  5. OscarCharlie

OscarCharlie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be following your trip with interest, as I'll also be leaving for Inuvik barely two weeks after your own departure.

Good luck on your journey, and all the best :clap
  6. Tamalerider

Tamalerider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds awesome. I'm going to be leaving San Francisco for a 35 day trip around alaska (anchorage, homer, denali, fairbanks) and then dalton highway and back to dawson for the D2D. There's a chance we may throw in the dempster after the D2D. We'll see how it goes.
  7. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like some epic father son bonding time :clap IF you are near Dawson City June 18-20ish stop by and check out the D2D Dust to Dawson festivities:eek1 at the Triple J Hotel.
    AND if you are in Palmer, Alaska and need a place to crash, wrench, or do some laundry shoot me a PM.
  8. gozer

gozer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer! We'll be passing through Dawson City a bit before D2D, but our plans are pretty fluid, if we are in the neighborhood, we'll definitely check it out.
  9. slo rider

slo rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Enjoy. I did a similar ride with my father-in-law in 2012 and we had a blast. I definitely want to do it again some day.
  10. gozer

gozer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I’m riding my motorcycle to Alaska…I need to show it off a bit before I go! My previous bike was a Kawasaki KLR 650. It was a fine bike that would take me anywhere, but it was a bit lacking when riding on the highway. This trip is going to be a ton of highway miles, so I used it as an excuse to upgrade.

I was about to go down and write a check to buy a new BMW F800 GS Adventure, but just to be thorough, I went for a test ride on a KTM 1190 Adventure. As soon as I was done, I left a deposit for the “R” version. (this was in November 2013). When the first round of bikes came through, I didn’t make the cut at my dealer. However, one of my buddies found a new KTM dealer that had a bike that hadn’t been claimed! After a quick phone call, it was mine.

One thing about the “R” – it is tall. In fact, I am barely tall enough to ride it, and I’ve already dropped it a couple of times due to it’s “tallness”. I contemplated having custom springs put in which would lower the bike by 1 1/4” (and cost ~$1k). As I’ve ridden the bike more, I’ve become used to the height, so I’m going to Alaska with the stock springs.

[​IMG]

This is how the bike will look while I’m on the trip…Almost (there will be two small gas cans mounted on the top case). Some of the farkles:

• Touratech Zega Pro top box
    • Touratech Zega Pro 2 side panniers – these just arrived last week, almost didn’t make it for the trip!
    • Touratech Skid Plate.
    • Touratech Upper Crashbar.
    • Ortlieb Dry Bag

[​IMG]

From the front:

• Puig Touring Screen
    • Touratech Light Guard
    • Rigid Dually Driving Light.
    • VIRB Elite mounted to the upper crash bar (right side of the bike, left side of the picture)

[​IMG]

Cockpit:

• KTM Tank bag
    • Delorme InReach SE
    • Garmin Montana GPS
    • Touratech GPS mount

[​IMG]

For water, I’ve got two 2 liter MSR bladders strapped to the top of the side panniers.

Not really pictured anywhere:

• Radguard Radiator Guard
    • Heated Gear Harness
    • PDM60 for power management
    • KTM Orange bar end caps
    • KTM Orange brake reservoir cap
    • KTM Orange valve stem caps

For tires, I went with the Hidenau K60s. They tend to get mixed reviews, but I don’t want to deal with having to swap out tires in Alaska – the rear tire is a funky size. So, I went for I tire that should last the whole trip (I guess I’ll find out).

I’m sure there are some other small things I forgot, but this is the bulk of them!
  11. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to you guys ride! Your dad has a spirit that’s hard to beat. I’ll be watching those tires for how well they wear. Thank you for posting.
  12. Paratrout

Paratrout Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great trip! Subscribed.
  13. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Add my respect to your Dad and what a great trip to celebrate life!

I am too short for big Katey M, but after riding a friends Super Duke, WoW! they make an incredible motorcycle!

Safe travels and Cheers
  14. duckman44

duckman44 Living the dream!

Oddometer:
    Thank you for letting us share this special trip with you.
  15. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Definitely along for the ride :clap
  16. White6Romeo

White6Romeo Sectum Sempre

Oddometer:
    Sweet ride my friend! Its going to be a fun trip for sure!
  17. bpeterson

bpeterson no other way to say it

Oddometer:
    congrats on taking the initiative and making it happen!

I wish you and your dad an amazing journey, and only wish I got to do the same w/my father.

subscribed
  18. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    great choices of adv bikes and your dad has a great survivor attitude. this is what it takes. i know. let the epic father, son, adventure begin. :clap
  19. Chazbo

Chazbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am Chazbo, Gozer's chaperone for this adventure. Here I am sitting on my Italian redhead, looking like the 69 year old geezer that I am. I wasn't always this old.

[​IMG]

The Husky Terra was one year wonder that was discontinued when the parent company, BMW, sold Husqvarna to KTM. It has a hopped up G650 engine.

Fortunately, there is a lot of aftermarket goodies out there. Some of the things I have added include:

• Altrider crash bars and skid plate
    • Happy Trail pannier brackets
    • Happy Trail panniers (from my old KLR 650)
    • Madstad adjustable windshield
    • Touratech headlight gravel guard
    • Radiator gravel shield
    • Touratech dual bottle mounts
    • Nomadic rear top rack
    • Giant Loop Fandango Tank bag
    • Pelican 1400 top case
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are a bunch of electronic gizmos mounted on the handlebars.

[​IMG]

Gas was a major challenge. It is about 260 miles between our longest fuel stops. My stock range is 160 miles. So there are fuel cans mounted on the panniers and on the side bottle holders. I intend to only fill the big cans when needed since don' t like the extra weight on the panniers.

[​IMG]

For tires I will be going with Continental TKC 80 on front and Heidenau K60 on the rear.

That is pretty much it for an intro. There will be many more details as our ride unfolds. Thanks for visiting.
  20. xlcc

xlcc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am not sure of your route,but if you are heading north of Kamloops B.C. you are welcome to stay at my place on the way.It is a nice ride ,near Mount Robson.Shoot me a message and I'll give you directions on how to get here.