Iowa Roll Call

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by bellbear, Jul 29, 2008.

1. eemsreno

eemsreno Super Tenere Rider.

Oddometer:
    Every penny.
  2. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Every penny? That does sound expensive cuz that would lead to a divorce
    Krons likes this.
  3. holligl

holligl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Depends on how much riding you plan to do!
    Gas, oil, tires, bike depreciation, I figure $0.2 - $.25/mi. Excluding gear, helmets, etc. Money well spent IMHO.
    eemsreno and Krons like this.
  4. 32dgrz

Oddometer:
    B2BE82B2-04AF-433B-AD27-45243819712C.jpeg
    timebak, eemsreno, ross and 2 others like this.
  5. TheFife

TheFife Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My father is 74 and quit riding a couple years ago. Since I have started riding this year, I convinced him to get a motorcycle again. Yesterday he bought his first Dual Sport, the TW200. Here is a pic he took of our bikes on our first ride together. I wish we had started years ago, but it is great to be doing it now.

82DE1209-2C16-4EA4-8BE8-976887D5BB90.jpeg
    rebar, WRW9751, eemsreno and 7 others like this.
  6. Krons

Krons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is awesome. Great spot on the Des Moines river there if I recognize it right.
    TheFife likes this.
  7. TheFife

TheFife Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am thinking about getting my kids a motorcycle. They are 9, 9, and 11. My only reservation is having a semi convenient place to ride. When I was a kid, even though we lived in the suburbs, my dad would take me to large grassy fields to ride around on. However, these days I feel like there aren't any places like that to teach a kid to ride. I live in Waukee and I am wondering if there is any place within a 30 minute drive that we could ride. I am not looking for technical single track, just a large open area that we won't be chased off from. Does anyone have any recommendations? It seems like OHV parks are a potential option (I haven never been to one), but they are all more than an hour away. Is there anywhere for kids to ride if they don't live in a rural area?
  8. USCal30M1

USCal30M1 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of many things that sucks about IA.
    Unless you know a landowner that will permit you to ride on their land, the OHV parks are probably your best option for play riding.
    That said, the three Iowa OHV parks I've personally been to have provided a day's worth of fun.
    I too wish there were more options here.

ETA...one bike for three kids, I see. Obviously presents another challenge.
    Peels likes this.
  9. Krons

Krons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @TheFife OHV parks are the best option but as you note further away...a few other options I've heard of but I don't have info on them:
    https://m.facebook.com/thefarmmxIa
    https://www.riversideraceway.net/
  10. 32dgrz

Oddometer:
  11. hoddenzid

hoddenzid n00b

Oddometer:
    600 Map copy.jpg For you guys that also dabble in trials, a couple of us created a trials loop with 8 sections at Lakeview OHV. Skill level is probably intermediate with a lot of logs and ravines, no rocks. If you feel intermediate is too boring, feel free to put in splits to match your skill level. Its a good way to practice if you don't have a big backyard. If you want a score card for a mock event with your buddies, contact me. All the sections are marked at the entrance and have a couple red flags at the exit. Its a good way to burn an afternoon.
  12. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I dabble in trials.
  13. hoddenzid

hoddenzid n00b

Oddometer:
    You are the definition of a trials dabbler.
  14. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Nice avatar.:D
  15. hoddenzid

hoddenzid n00b

Oddometer:
    If you could zoom in, you'd see I'm wearing high top Converses. Simple times, simple mind.
  16. motometal

motometal i like motorcycles

Oddometer:
    I have a set of TKC80, near new/take offs if anyone is interested.

Fife-my best advice is go to a park and practice. Fort dodge is a good one. And for challenging yourself technically.

I like gravel for the adventure, sights and just being on a bike. But beyond a certain point, the mud thing seems to just trash the bike and make for more cleanup. B roads are created when the last farm house on a road is abandoned and they quit refreshing the gravel. It takes many years but the road turns to mud.

Speed on gravel depends on my mood, and the conditions. This time of year, watch out for deer. Sometimes 65 is nice but other times 40 and just absorb the scenery and experience. My speed is not affected by the surface, unless it’s ice...on a dual sport. Once you get experienced and confident, fresh/loose gravel is no big deal. A 650 lb street bike with street tires, might slow down a little for fresh gravel.
  17. Krons

Krons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What sizes you have and what price you are thinking? Sold a MC tire on eBay once...was expensive to ship, $20 a tire if I recall right.
  18. motometal

motometal i like motorcycles

Oddometer:
    120 90 18 and 90 90 21. They are off of a 500. Pm me if interested, I don’t want to break rules (not sure what they are)
  19. Smudge!

Smudge! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hahaha, I got it!
  20. TheFife

TheFife Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome insights. In the last couple of months I have had a blast learning and exploring. Here are a few thoughts.

My confidence at speed has gone up tremendously. My first ride on a gravel road, I was literally going 20mph and felt like the earth was crumbling beneath me. It was honestly nerve wracking. Now I am very comfortable riding at 50-60+ as long as it is in a straight line. Loose gravel isn’t too big of an issue, but turning and wet/mud are a different story.

I am not keen on getting tossed off the bike going more than 20 or so, which makes it difficult to improve my cornering on gravel. I expect my feel for when I am about to lose traction will increase with time, but I think it will be a slow process.

Mud is the other thing that is really unappealing. Given that I ride alone, I don’t relish the thought of having to deal with extracting myself from the Iowa version of the Labrea Tarpits. Those B roads look fun from a distance, but about 50 feet into them, with boots that suddenly weight 15 lbs from all the mud, and I quickly decide to head back to the relative safety of the gravel.

One limitation that I have noticed is my CRF250L seems less than ideal when I leave the gravel and I’m on a paved highway. While that probably only accounts for 10% of my current riding, it would be nice to have something a little more capable on that front. I’ve thought about potentially upgrading to something like a KTM 790/890 Adventure. I assume that would perform just as well in gravel and be much more capable on the highway. That said, I am a smaller rider and moving to a heavier bike gives me pause. I’m also unwilling to go with anything higher than a 34” seat, which knocks out some of the big ADV options.
    Krons likes this.