Iowa Roll Call

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by bellbear, Jul 29, 2008.

1. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer:
    @TheFife I have been in the market for an enclosed trailer like that for a while now. Can you send me information on where you got it and the cost? Appreciate the info!
  2. TheFife

TheFife Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought my trailer from trojancargosales.com. They are in Georgia, and yes, I drove all the way there to pick it up. That probably seems crazy, and there may have been better options, but I am happy with my choice. I looked long and hard online and called around locally as well. I had pretty specific things I was looking for, and it turned out that the only way to get what I wanted was to order it custom. I spent less to get exactly what I wanted than I would have spent on a compromise option locally. The one failure of the purchase is that I actually ordered a blue trailer. Unfortunately the plant couldn't source that color metal due to Covid shortages and told me it could be many months until they had the color in stock. I decided to accept silver, which does look pretty good, but I am bummed I didn't get exactly what I was after.

The thing that initially got me interested in trojancargosales is the fact you can go on their site and fill out a form to customize any trailer you want. There are so many options I didn't even know existed. The best part is you can see what each modification costs without having to deal with a sales person or make any commitments. Some options are things you could do yourself if you are handy, others are the actual fundamental elements of the trailer like the specific axles and frame spacing.

Here are the things I selected:
    • 7'x12' double axle (with brakes) - This is big enough to haul a number of motorcycles. I can do 2 big bikes and 3 kids bikes.
    • 16" on center framing - Many trailers are only 24" and that seems too flimsy
    • .30 aluminum - This allows for fewer panels and a cleaner look
    • Rubber coin floor - I didn't like the idea of rolling muddy bikes onto a plywood floor
    • Recessed E Track in 3 front to back strips
    • Metal transition plate to provide extra durability on the ramp door
    • Dual Vents
    • Stabalizing Jacks - This allows you to work in the trailer and even load it without being hooked up to a vehicle (great when you have a short driveway)
    • Bar closure on the side door - This is better than the simple camper style closure.

Once I got the trailer I did the following:
    • I painted the interior walls - This was mostly for looks
    • E Track on the walls - This was super easy to install and allows me to put EZ Chocks for dirt bikes
    • Tire hanger, clothing hooks, helmet holder, trashcan holder, paper towel rolls, tool bag, and other goodies for dealing with issues away from home
    • Added battery powered lights. They were cheap at Lowes and require recharging, but they work

The bad news on buying a trailer today is the fact that prices have gone way up. I spent around $5,500 on mine. If you bought one today, I think you would see an additional $1,000 or more. The used market is also crazy. After I got the new trailer, I sold my old utility trailer for what I paid new. I assume prices will go back down, but who knows.

Let me know if you have any other questions or want to see any other details. I have plenty of thoughts on the matter, and my wife doesn't really care to hear me talk about the trailer, so I am happy to share with anyone that does.
    ts3doug, ZLTFUL and dog54 like this.
  3. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer:
    I may pester you to check it out in person. I am pretty handy so, definitely could do some of the "upgrades" myself. But that is pretty similar in dimensions to what we are looking to get. Ideally, we would like to do a smaller toy hauler but my wife is a bit of a princess when it comes to accommodations and doesn't really like the camper life. Hehe.
    TheFife likes this.
  4. squirrelstyle

squirrelstyle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Officially registered for the adventure palooza and days off on the schedule at work. I’m not in a group yet if anyone wants to make one
    rizzo27 likes this.
  5. I Ride

I Ride Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. I Ride

I Ride Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    eemsreno likes this.
  7. eemsreno

eemsreno Super Tenere Rider.

Oddometer:
  8. eemsreno

Oddometer:
  9. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    You probably only have a day or two left to go see the sunflowers at Badger Creek this year. So, if you're interested in braving the cloud of gravel dust stirred up by 52,482 other photographers going that way at sundown, have at it!

[​IMG]
  10. drsyntax

drsyntax Long timer

Oddometer:
    manchester iowa trials 2021.jpg
    sac1, eemsreno and reedski like this.
  11. eemsreno

Oddometer:
    I finally put soft luggage on for light weight solo remote riding. I feel a Utah ride coming up.
    100_8419.JPG
    byknphil, ross, reedski and 3 others like this.
  12. Rodeoclone

Rodeoclone n00b

Oddometer:
    312CA8AF-9AF0-4F89-98AA-E36E38C6C6AE.jpeg C507332A-B973-4749-B854-B7AE43D55E06.jpeg
    Utah sounds very fun. I was just showing my wife some BH rally pics from guys posting. She told me not to covet old retired guys. Geez. That’s what I do well…
    I found some mud near that legendary Tenere. Also a town I’ve never heard of…Abington, IA.
  13. eemsreno

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="Rodeoclone, post: 427
    Utah sounds very fun. I was just showing my wife some BH rally pics from guys posting. She told me not to covet old retired guys. Geez. That’s what I do well…
    I found some mud near that legendary Tenere. Also a town I’ve never heard of…Abington, IA.[/QUOTE]

Rodeoclone
    I just turned on the phone and heard your message from 3 days ago. Sorry I missed you. Maybe anyone wanting to ride with me needs to leave me a message a week ahead of time.
    Rodeoclone likes this.
  14. FreeHugger

FreeHugger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good morning everyone. Just a little announcement that I am hosting the Dirt Orcas Summer Classic for a 5th straight year and would love to meet some of you in person. It's a lot of fun as many of the people on this forum will attribute.
    Event details and registration information can be found here https://dirtorcas.com/the-5th-annual-dirt-orcas-summer-classic/

We have about 25 spots left at this point, so please register early if you are thinking about coming.
    eemsreno, GlobalriderTrev and ZLTFUL like this.
  15. GlobalriderTrev

GlobalriderTrev GlobalADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anybody headed to Baxter's open house on the weekend of 20 & 21 Aug.? I was thinking about doing a Loess Hill ride that weekend and include a ride to Baxter Cycle. Camping at Willow Lake outside of Woodbine. Reply here or message me.
    eemsreno likes this.
  16. tex2

tex2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That doesn’t sound bad Trevin. I think we did something like that last year. I’d be in if you lead again.
  17. ross

ross Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would be interested, have to check with my riding partner/wife. We were going to go last year, and had to cancel when my father in law died.
    GlobalriderTrev likes this.
  18. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maaaaybe.
    GlobalriderTrev likes this.
  19. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    A couple of adv bikes in the parking lot.

[​IMG]
  20. sac1

sac1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A KTM 1290 and a Triump 900 tiger. Very talented riders of all ages. Had a great time.
    Congratulations
    2whlrcr likes this.