iPad Mini as GPS Using Sygic, CoPilot, Motion-X GPS Drive Apps

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Meff, Sep 3, 2014.

1. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    @Shawnee Bill, are you speaking to me?

If yes, like I said, I don't do much with tracks and routes, but I looked and found an e-mail with a .gpx file attached. So I just now opened that e-mail using Yahoo Mail on the iPad while it was connected to wifi, clicked on the gpx file, and the iPad asked me which app do I want to open it with--Gaia, Galileo, OsmAnd, Scenic, or Pocket Earth? It did not offer me the option of choosing Co-Pilot, Maps.Me, Here, or Sygic which are the other Nav apps I currently have installed. Any other nav apps I may have mentioned from a year ago that are not named, I don't have them installed any longer.

So I think that's your answer. The gpx file in question, by the way, was 1.3mb track with about 9400 waypoints, not a route.
  2. Berty222

Berty222 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The opposite, only the wifi+sim ( cell) have gps. But you don't actually have the put a sim card in it for the gps to work
  3. brbo

brbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been using Galileo for quite some time - I find it to be perfect maybe not all the do dads of others - I was a big Motion X user prior to Galileo until the offline map size started to matter (Galileo are Vector maps making it awesome) - because I needed a lot more of the country when I started Iron Butt rides 4 years ago...

I also had an Android phase in there and I will give a BIG shout out to Locus Pro - absolutely incredible after you get your Degree.... shame its not available for iOS...

I am now changing up my Navigation - and decided on a Mini 4, shame to hear about the sun issues...any other comments about that ?

My other question is about on the road with Police..I've always had a few screens on the dash but at 4-5" they aren't nearly as seen compared to an iPad - any Police issues for such a big screen ? I ask because locally using mobile devices over the past 1.5yrs has been the crime of choice... not that I would be using it while riding but rolling down the hwy at night with this screen past a black/white I'm sure will attract issues..
  4. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Somebody correct me, but down in the lower 48 I'm not aware of any legal restrictions on the use of GPS devices on a bike (day or night). But that's not allowed in BC?

FWIW, many of the nav apps have a daylight mode and a night mode.

Other comments about the sun--(1) mount the screen vertically to avoid sky glare, (2) wear a dark jacket and helmet, (3) consider an anti-glare screen protector, trade-offs being that these reduce touch sensitivity and screen clarity, (4) try to find "gradient" lens sunglasses--these are shaded darker at the top and lighter at the bottom, (5) consider the joys of riding at night. Keep in mind that my eyes are kinda sucky so YMMV.
  5. brbo

brbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not really to do with night or day, its just a lot more obvious at night was my concern - and it's not so much that you can't use them, its about not touching them - this is the current law - handheld electronic device -

I thought that perhaps some of you with some experience using a large screen may have had run ins with the law... obviously you shouldn't be clicking away on the screen while riding but with a BIG push on up here to stop texting lately, I could see this being a reason for local police to hassle you....
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

enforce laws ? nahhhh
  7. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Well, if it's mounted, then it's no longer a hand held device.
  8. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    If anyone clicked on brbo's link, you'd see that in British Columbia the law suggests--

A person may use a Global Positioning System (GPS) for navigation purposes while driving if:
    • It is programmed before the person begins to drive or operate the vehicle;
    • It can be programmed in a voice-activated manner;
    • If it is a handheld GPS device, it must not be held in the hand; and
    • It is securely fixed to the motor vehicle in a manner that does not obstruct the person’s view of the front or sides of the motor vehicle or interfere with the safety or operating equipment of the vehicle.
    So I'd say that brbo should watch out. Having the big Mini displaying a nav screen is OK, but don't go touching it.
  9. CODan

CODan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thank you for this thread

I've got a DRZ and been looking for a gps solution for exploring the backroads of CO, currently using my iPhone and MotionX

But I've been thinking a lot about an iPad Mini and you've helped a lot
  10. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of people who like MotionX -- which I just don't get. It's way down the list for me. Maybe a few years ago it was cooler than cool, but thankfully the iPhone and iPad now have many very functional nav apps to choose from. As discussed in this thread and others.

Good luck with your exploratories, @CODan.
  11. upontheridge

upontheridge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have any IOS user tried https://leadnavsystems.com/ I am currently trying to learn Furkot, Kurviger and Locus Pro for Android but if this LeadNav works as well as they say it does an Ipad mini may be in my future.
    ohgood likes this.
  12. NHBoz

NHBoz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just read through this thread as I'm researching nav setups for my bike. Loath to spend almost 1000 on the latest garmin and using an iPad mini sounds great. Looked into LifeProof cases and mounts but they are not available for the mini 4. What cases are riders using for their mini 4? Thanks!
  13. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. NHBoz

NHBoz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Drone---
    I did not see iPad mini 4 cases offered on the LifeProof website. Does this case fit your mini 4? Thanks. NHBoz
  15. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    That's weird. I wonder if they discontinued it for some reason, like a manufacturing problem or something? Anyway, you can find them on Amazon-- LINK
  16. WU7X

WU7X The Old Fart

Oddometer:
    I have an Otter case protecting mine, and have been very happy with it.

I just did a quick trip with my son to the Conconully, WA, area. I was testing out a LG 7" tablet with a32 gig mini-SD card and running OSMand+. I was comparing it to my Garmin 665 running the latest software update. Visually, the OSmand/LG was the winner hands down. Except the screen washed out a bit in direct sunlight. I couldn't find a way to get the map to track in the direction my car was moving. Instead, the map was always set in a northerly direction. The Garmin was much better for giving directions. I can also Bluetooth my iPhone into the Garmin, then Bluetooth the Garmin into the vehicle's radio. Listen to Pandora or Sirius which fad out when Garmin gives a navigational command.

I bought the mini iPiAd for gps work, but it doesn't have enough memory and Apple doesn't allow space for an SD card. %#*"%#!
  17. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    outbacktm likes this.
  18. WU7X

WU7X The Old Fart

Oddometer:
  19. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Tap the North arrow button at the top of the map. That toggles from north up to direction of travel up
    WU7X likes this.
  20. WU7X

WU7X The Old Fart

Oddometer:
    A very big THANK YOU sir! I'll give it a try. This is pushing me further away from using my Garmin as a field unit. I'll keep it for in-town directions. But then my iphone can do that. Ummmmm.