iPhone 11 Pro Camera Failures Due to Vibration

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by GeoMoto, Mar 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. GeoMoto

GeoMoto Head Flying Monkey

Oddometer:
    Has anyone else had issues with the new iPhone 11 Pro and the cameras malfunctioning? I have ruined two of them now and it all starts after a mounting the iPhone to my bike. The new cameras don't hold up to the bikes constant vibration. It's a bummer since I like to use the phone for navigation. The new cameras are awesome, they just seem to be too fragile for motorcycles.
  2. Piscoot

Piscoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup, even worked with Apple engineers and 3 iPhone 11 Pro’s later I was told the stabilizers cannot handle the vibration of my 19’ CB500X. I did grab the provided accessory bar from Honda and it does vibrate like a jack hammer! I have not tried using a handle bar style mount as of yet. I have several post about the experience somewhere here.
    GeoMoto likes this.
  3. GeoMoto

Oddometer:
    I tried the Quad lock Mount and a Ram Mount on an arm mounted to the rubber coated ram mount balls and still too much vibration. No Bueno. I will just use the old GPS.
  4. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't kept track of the phones that failed, but there are threads on other forums too with the same lament. The phone keeps working...but the optical image stabilization in the camera fails. It's too fragile for that much vibration.

IMHO, if I just had to have a phone on the handlebar, I'd look for a used phone that I could throw away and not be concerned about it. There are some out there that are waterproof. But by the time you get through all that, you could buy the latest TomTom 550 GPS for $250 and never give it a second thought again.

Chris
    GeoMoto likes this.
  5. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    or just buy a Kyocera Duraforce Pro for less than $75 and have more functionality.
    GeoMoto and Albie like this.
  6. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had this with my pixel 2, it's pretty common. Do not attach the phone to vibey bits, use a tank bag with a holder on top
    Jorugburn, Chillis and GeoMoto like this.
  7. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    You can fab a vibration isolating mount with some sheet sorbothane but just putting it on your tank bag is vastly simpler.
    GeoMoto likes this.
  8. Blissed

Blissed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doesn’t surprise me. Optical Image Stabilization in phones and cameras is a fine mechanical system not constructed to withstand prolonged vibrations. If you attach an OIS device by a hard undampened mount to the bike, the small vibrations, albeit invisible, are transferred to the device and likely will damage the OIS over time. Use a phone without OIS or ignore the camera damage. Or use a true GPS device built ruggedly. I carry my phone in the pocket, and camera in a tank bag wrapped in a large fleece cloth to dampen the vibrations.
    https://momofilmfest.com/smartphone-camera-stabiliser-eos-or-ois/
    Plaka and GeoMoto like this.
  9. davepen

davepen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you insist on clamping your phone to the bike, you probably want one of these, and the other bits to make it work.

[​IMG]
    Chillis, hock2e, NSFW and 3 others like this.
  10. yoohah

yoohah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This isn't an iPhone 11 problem - it's been an issue with iPhones since they added OIS to the cameras years ago. I had the vibes on two different bikes kill my 7 and X before giving up on handlebar mounting my phones.
    justlookin and GeoMoto like this.
  12. GeoMoto

Oddometer:
  13. GeoMoto

Oddometer:
    I just ordered one!
  14. Piscoot

Piscoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please keep me posted, I’ve read ups and downs on the device. I’m not sure what you are riding but on my CB500X the vibration is mostly a frequency buzz.
  15. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    One problem is testing. How many iPhones do you want to blow up to find if you have a solution?

Might be worth installing Physics Toolbox (free app) to see the output of all the phones sensors. Watch the accelerometer.

There is also the tuna test. Take a tuna fish can (empty, no lid) and stick it to your mount with a ball of childrens play dough (wax based is best). Have the can rim horizontal. Fill can halfway with water. Rev. The bike in the driveway standing it on the tires. Watch the surface of the water. Now see what you can drive on while watching the water and trying not to spill.

Myself, I like the big hammer approach. Use so much overkill from the get go that there is no question.
    CaseyB likes this.
  16. yoohah

yoohah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just find nearest 3d-printer and print plates. Then find proper wire and then assembly it. It is just prototype. But I have tested it briefly with the Garmin GpsMap 276cx (roughly 500 gram with the base) and there is no noticeable vibration when touching the gps and revving 4-5000 rpm. If the load is lighter (i.e. iPhone) then one can use thinner wire. I believe this kind of vibration reducer is the most effective, but same time secure and durable.
    Daboo likes this.
  17. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine failed (iPhone 11). I have an appointment for repair/replacement tomorrow. Ordered a buzz kill from Hondo garage a week ago. Still waiting on them to ship. No idea if the buzz kill will help or not. If I have to get Apple to fix their problem again,
    I’ll probably move my personal iphone to a tank bag.
  18. GeoMoto

Oddometer:
    I have been using the Buzz Kill for a couple months now and it solved my vibration issue. I have it mounted to a ram ball and ram arm.
    Plebeian and Bill Lumberg like this.
  19. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to hear. I was hoping.
  20. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same on my Pixel 2. Replaced twice in warranty, I stopped attaching it to the bike unless it's for a very short time (like gps nav for the last 2km to find the place or gps in town )