iPhone 7 camera damaged after using a handlebar mount

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by unit3890, Apr 24, 2019.

1. unit3890

unit3890 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone else damaged the OIS (optical image stabilizer) on a phone due to vibrations from a handlebar mount?

I believe that the camera on my iPhone 7 plus broke after using a ram x-grip mount on my klx400r, xt225 and v-strom 650. The grip was mounted to the motorcycles using the bolt adapter or u-bolt ram handlebar adapter depending on the motorcycle.

The OIS doesn't stabilize the image which creates a wobbly effect and makes it impossible to take a good picture. I'll try to upload a video of it later since I upgraded to a galaxy s10 (it was time to switch back to Android).

Has anyone else experienced something similar? I know there are mounts that claim to prevent this exact issue, but you pay for it $$$.
  2. AFRICA

AFRICA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think it's possible that the problem is not the mount. It might be the image stabilizer that's faulty.
    I had an iPhone 6 which did that since new. I sent it in twice, and both times they sent it back saying theres nothing wrong with the camera. If you keep it stable for a few weeks it corrects itself. But still makes it unusable for riding. I did a 7 day trip with no pictures as a result.
    Eventually they admitted to a weakness in the camera, and launched a global replacement campaign for the affected serial numbers. Problem solved for me.
  3. theregulator

theregulator Shut Up and Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    I broke the camera on two separate Pixel 2’s while mounted to the handlebars. Both replaced under warranty. The second replacement sold on Swappa, and I switched to a Samsung S8 Active. No problems since.
  4. foo

foo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  5. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup, I've damaged my 7 & X; after I got a TomTom & a Cardo with Hey Siri functionality I stopped using handlebar mounts.
  6. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Perfect Squeeze + Buzzkill. Haven't destroyed a camera sense.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  7. spencermarkd

spencermarkd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Broke two, one on a 6+ that I replaced myself, one on a ten that was replaced under applecare.
  8. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Yup, killed my image stabilizer on my iPhone X by mounting it in a Ram X-mount on my KTM 690 Enduro bars.
  9. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    Wow, didn't realize this was possible. Does the damage happen even when not using the camera? I've used an iPhone 6 extensively with the Ram X-mount on the handlebars of my Super Tenere and never noticed an issue, but I just got a new Xs and sure don't want to screw it up!
  10. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Yes. It's the vibrations.

Now, if your Super10 is mostly road focused; you'll be fine. If you're bombing washboard roads and rough dirt, expect to have problems.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  11. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    Same thing happened to my 7plus. I stopped running my phone on the bars. I'll run my Duraforce Pro on the bike for GPS, but my good phone goes in my pocket now.
  12. Mulebiscuit

Mulebiscuit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 here ruined a pixel only 2 months old on x grip. Now old Motorola rides on bar for nav and good phone in pellican box on tail in foam insert.
  13. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Modern mobile phones that are premium ($500+) all have "Optical Image Stabilization" Best explained in my layman's way is is the image sensor sits on a moving plane. It will move side to side with the phone. This ALWAYS is moving even when the camera app is not triggered. This allows jitter / stutter when taking photos / videos to be reduced. Some cheaper phones or the GoPro 6/7 use "digital image stabilization" so no moving plane.

Anyway, if your phone is mounted to a buzzy thumper / single (and maybe V-Twins depending on the age of the bike and vibration transfered to handlebars), this will destroy the OIS sensor.

Here's the result:

Under warranty, Apple has replaced my iPhone once with a failed sensor.

I added this to my Perfect Squeeze iPhone mount - https://shop-hondogarage.com/collec...orcycle/products/buzz-kill-vibration-isolator and haven't had any future failures
  14. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks for that information. I’ve only used the x-mount on the road, I don’t really trust it to hold my phone securely off-road anyway, so always stick it in a tank bag or pocket. Whew!
    BobcatSig likes this.
  15. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    This happened to my iPhone X on a recent trip. It is only present on one lens/camera and I didn’t realize it was a hardware issue until now.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  16. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    It's the frequency of the vibes that hurts the worst.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  17. unit3890

Oddometer:
  18. unit3890

Oddometer:
    I believe this is true because I didn't have issues on my thumpers. It broke after using the phone on my v-strom 650.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  19. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had this issue with 3 different iphones and it has always been if I left the camera on. Stop - take a picture - remount the phone and go. I have not had it happen as long as I turn off the camera. Stop - take picture - turn off camera - remount and go.
  20. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth, the x-mount did do a great job of keeping the phone secured on my 690. So it does work.

Yup. And the bumps. And the rough roads. And the jumps. :D

I did that, err... do that. Stop, take the picture, turn off the screen and go. I think the issue is whether the camera software running or not, the vibes still hammer on the hardware.
    Traxx likes this.