iPhone 7 camera damaged after using a handlebar mount

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by unit3890, Apr 24, 2019.

1. LDHR1

LDHR1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tether an older iPhone on my handlebars to my good one in my pocket to protect it against vibration and crashes. Learned both the hard way.
  2. atravlr

atravlr www.atasecuretravel.com

Oddometer:
    I just use and old iPhone and buy the minutes I will need for my trips, I still use paper maps but to find a specific location the phones are a great asset.
    slime and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  3. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
  4. greatwhiteshark44

greatwhiteshark44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My iPhone X OIS was just replaced thanks to Apple Care +. it is mounted on the handlebars of my GS1200 and I used it on off-road. I am wondering if installing magnets on the phone while riding will keep the OIS magnet stable enough to prevent them from self destructing from the high bounces - alternatively I can just put the iPhone in my pocket once the warranty is out....
  5. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yikes, my iPhones have been in x-grips for 10’s of thousands of miles on an FJR, Wee Strom, Tenere and my boat with no issues. Many, many miles off road as well.
    slime and greatwhiteshark44 like this.
  6. greatwhiteshark44

Oddometer:
    That’s good to know. Thanks. Many others have also reported nil issues. It’s just hard to figure out what’s factual and what a urban legend
  7. justlookin

justlookin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just had my iPhone 8 replaced after a 8500 mile trip on a mt09 Yamaha. I have the Hondo perfect squeeze and buzz kill but didn’t mount the buzz kill thinking that the 3cylinder bike would be fine without it. So now I wonder if it was the vibration or the camera
  8. greatwhiteshark44

Oddometer:
    the more I read on the issue and other website dedicated to iPhone OIS where m/c are not a factor the more I'm thinking it is just a combo of both faulty OIS where failure is precipitated by more than ave vibes.
  9. PhotoAl

PhotoAl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just returned from a 6,000 mile trip on my BMW F800GT. Used my RAM X mount in the bars a few days for my iPhone Xs. Seems like it takes a few days to recover afterwards which makes me think its more of an OS issue as it remembers the vibrations. Just checked it and after 6 days not back to normal but can take a photo most of the time. Interestingly it always works in portrait mode. I used to have a usb charger mounted on the bars and it shook several to death and have now gone to a fairing mounted USB outlet. It worked perfectly the entire trip. Im going to fasten a RAM ball mount to the inner fairing for the next trip so it will have a less vibe mount. Typically don't use the iPhone a lot, only when a place I don't know and need local directions. In the western states like Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, etc typically just write the highway numbers on a piece of paper and put in the top of my tank bag. Even used a paper map some. The problem with USB adapters is they have a large coil that gets shaken loose from the circuit board. Have had some only last a couple of hours! Love the RAM mounts though, first trip with them, Used an X mount for navigation and a second for my cup holder - don't like having one as it's too HD like but necessary for fast food drive thru. Did a good job even with 20oz plastic bottle. Probably wouldn't work in NY as their cups are too small due to large drink regulations :-) LOL found I can even drink out of a straw at traffic lights - but don't drink too much as there are not many bathrooms open!
  10. roger123

Oddometer:
    I wonder what sort of cases are the phones in that are experiencing failures? My 7 is always in an Otterbox defender when in the x-grip. My Tenere has 45K and it never moves without my phone in the x-grip. 75K on my Wee with the same results, many miles on an FJR and boat as well, no issues ever. This is with a 7 and some earlier models, I haven't yet moved up to the "Goochi" phones, LOL.
    slime likes this.
  11. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMHO it isn't the box/case that determines how the phone gets vibrated to death but the mounting point. Some bikes are better than others when using the handlebars. Sometimes it is better to mount the phone on the body (fairing) /frame of the bike rather than the bars... I am using the Hondo mount with the vibration damper on my GSA and it may be overkill, but I do have a Gucci phone.:lol3 YMMV
    slime and PhotoAl like this.
  12. PhotoAl

PhotoAl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The BMW F800GT is particularly prone to vibrations on the bar, seem like they are lower frequency but higher Gs. Particularly bad a freeway speeds. maybe roger123 you aren't going fast enough :-) changed the orientation of the X mount so it was closer to the bar and more parallel to the bar which I think helped. Another indication of the vibrations of the F800GT is headlight bulb life. I'm on my 4th low beam bulb in 2 years and 26,000 mies. Current one has been in for 8,000 miles or so and seems to be working well. It is a "Suburu spec" bulb which is more rugged. I'm thinking of a body mount with a piece of dense foam under the mount. IMO the I4s are smother engines.

My case is an Otterbox but not the big tough one just a ring with a clear back. I've already used Applecare+ to have the glass back on this phone replaced (that is the most expensive part to break on an iPhone Xs). I only have one more and am saving for catastrophic damage. That was the first time I've ever had a problem with my phone.

Not using the phone or GPS so much has made me better on navigation and I'm watching signs more and the road more instead of looking at the device and trying to figure out is that one block or 2. Paper maps were not too bad either. Of course this is where things are less dense.
  13. roger123

Oddometer:
    I never use my phone for navigation so I guess it’s “off”, maybe standby mode would be a better term. It’s usually playing podcasts though.
    slime likes this.
  14. slime

slime Healing nicely

Oddometer:
    I've had my s5 in an X mount on my DRZ a few times, but not on the rough stuff off road. I have a dedicated GPS on it as my only instrumentation. I bought a GPS for the street bike, mainly because my phone is older and it creates issues using it for navigation on the bike. I bought a used IPhone to try and use as just that, but haven't had a chance to shake down some apps. Right now, I'm not very happy with Garmin (imagine that )
  15. dr. jones

dr. jones Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    i've always mounted my phones to the tankbag for this exact reason. lends a bit of shock absorption.
  16. GP1200

GP1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    iPhone 6 Plus and the camera stabilizer crapped twice. I was blaming Apple but I now realize its the GSA thats killing the camera. Have to rethink my setup now. I wouldn't put an expensive IPhone on any handlebar mount on a motorcycle anymore unless you don't need the camera
  17. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want to actually see the vibration causing these OIS failures, go to the camera app, and mount your camera on the bars with the bike idling. I did that last night with my iPhone X with a RAM X-Grip mount and it's surprising how much vibration is coming through the handlebars. My regular "bike" phone is a iPhone 6 (so no OIS) but sadly it's limited to iOS 12 and I want iOS 13 for CarPlay so I may have to sacrifice a newer phone's camera and keep my "good" camera in my pocket.
  18. Tor

Tor Making Life A Ride

Oddometer:
    So vibrations from my 185 horsepower inline 4 won't be an issue then.....

:hide
  19. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    :D

Depends on the bike. And on what surfaces you're riding. I'd bet that a hard mount to the bike and/or bars will still cause optical zoom failure, especially with the XR and its known vibration issues. But maybe not?
  20. Tor

Tor Making Life A Ride

Oddometer:
    Haven't had any issues yet with the phone. And to be honest, I don't have any vibration issues on the XR. Some do though. I should say I'm using heavy bar weights form Evotech.
    BobcatSig likes this.