iPhone 7 camera damaged after using a handlebar mount

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by unit3890, Apr 24, 2019.

1. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those weights greatly reduce vibes coming of those bars for sure :nod
  2. Filly_007

Filly_007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone knows if a Samsung S7's camera was destroyed from putting on the bike?

I ordered a quad lock a week or 2 ago, after reading good reviews. In the mean time i hit on toppics like this on the internet. I don't want to ruin my phone, so gonna send it back. This is treir reply... 0.1% have problems with it, if you look at their phones they support 60% are phones with optical lenses...

Thanks for contacting Quad Lock!

We're sorry to hear that you have to return the order. Whilst vibration damage to smartphones when mounted on motorbikes is not a common problem, it is affecting a small number of riders (less than 0.1%). The damage seems to be caused by a combination of phone/motorbike rather than the mount itself and is not unique to Quad Lock. The majority of our motorcycle customers are very happy with our mount as can be seen by our reviews.
  3. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a three year old S7, have used it mounted on my RT from time to time with a couple non-shock-absorbing mounts, probably 1500 miles, some of it gravel roads. It seems to fall to tile, concrete, and hardwood floors at least weekly. No damage or problems yet.

Googling a bit, I'm not finding much in the way of S7 camera failures. One that failed shortly after purchase, several that were fixed with a software reset. I'm thinking that the Samsung stabilization mechanism is just more robust than the one Apple uses on the iPhone.
    Filly_007 likes this.
  4. Filly_007

Filly_007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's just crazy that they admit that 1 out of 1000 clients complaint about a broken camera due to their device, and they don't warn anywone!
    You spend 100€ on mount and case, and few day driving, you're new phone of 1000€ camera is not usable anymore. "yeah, it's only 1 at 1000 that complaints". And how many don't realise it's because of the mount, or don't give a fuck and buy an other one...

@ Ikraus: searched too, found 3 cases. But it's like Quad lock says i think, a 4 cilinder touring as less vibration than a 1 cilinder offroad bike so...
  5. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    zero issues with my Samsung G7, and it's spent a fair amount of time on my bars, always on a Ram mount
    Both on road and while dual sporting.
    My phone was in an otterbox defender case which along with the Ram mounts helped isolate it from some vibration
    It's been run on the following bikes, maybe a total of 5,000 miles about a 50/50 split between off road and on road.
    2011 DL650
    2018 CRF240L rally
    2017 CRF 250L
    2003 CRF230f

I'm not going to be using my new Iphone11 on the bike like I did the S7, at least not for a year or so.
  6. chupa88

chupa88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've mounted my iphone 5, 6, and 7 to my W650 since 2012 for 60k miles and never had a problem with the vibration. I even had the 7 on a 3000 mile trip on a 09 BMW F650GS and didn't have any issues. I got a iPhone 11 in Nov and between my W650 and my F650GS, the camera stabilizer rattled loose in three months later. Got a replacement thru Applecare but now I'm researching ways to remedy this. Tried some anti-vibration foam on the handlebar and my Techgripper but it hasn't really worked that great. I don't really want to drop $160 for the Hondo Garage Perfect Fit and their Buzzkill and I would need two! I'm trying to see if I can rig their Buzz Kill to my Techgripper but I'm not seeing an easy way to pair these two systems.
  7. Mleaky

Mleaky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I killed the camera on my iphone 7
  8. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the buzz kill from hondo garage with their mount.

Several thousand miles on a thumper and no issues.
  9. Acousticplyr

Acousticplyr Adventurer

Oddometer: