iPhone iOS 13 GPX/KML Import/Open In - Bug

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by fjmartin, Sep 28, 2019.

1. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up. If you upgrade to iOS 13, 13.1, 13.1.1 there is a bug where doing an Export, Open In for a GPX file to load it into an app like Guru Pro, Gaia, etc, won't work as the apps will not show up in the list as it does for previous iOS version. I did some searching and found a developers forum where they are also seeing this issue and they've tried everything to fix it and nothing has worked. Looks like something Apple will have to fix.

KML files seem to work for things like Avenza, Google Earth and maps.me, but other apps like Guru Pro don't show in the list.

I've tried multiple methods such as loading from DropBox, Emailing them to myself, downloading using the new Safari download feature and using Files to try to import them.

Just an FYI that you may not want to upgrade to iOS 13 if you really need to load GPX or KML files.

Would be great to hear your experience with various map apps you have under iOS 13 to see if any of them work.

No need to hear "Apple Sucks" comments as they are not helpful and will just clog up the thread.

Joe

Apple Developer Forum Thread: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/118932
    ohgood likes this.
  2. NYTriumph

NYTriumph 2019 R1250GS

Oddometer:
    It might be the apps. I can still send GPX files to the BMW connected app
  3. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just tried the BMW Connected app and it also doesn't work for me. When reading the Apple developer thread on the issue it seems if I only have a single app that does GPX on my phone then it works. Do you have other apps on your phone that support GPX import or just this one?
  4. NYTriumph

NYTriumph 2019 R1250GS

Oddometer:
    Just the connected app...
  5. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah, cool. Thanks for that. Helps with knowing having a single GPX app will work. I have several so might have to pair things down and see if it starts working for the one I need.
  6. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got a reply from the developers for Guru Maps and they have confirmed that they and other developers have tried multiple things to resolve the issue on their sides without success. This is an Apple side bug. If you are suffering from the same issue with your GPS apps on iOS 13 then please submit a bug at: https://www.apple.com/feedback/. Pick your device and then fill in the details.

Thanks!

Joe
    NYTriumph likes this.
  7. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scenic works. Only app I have found so far the does.

Also Apple developer support is providing some info to develops about how GPX is not a defined UTI (Universal Type Identifier) this when different developers define it different ways it breaks things. That’s why it works with a single app on the phone.
  8. bvaughan

bvaughan bvaughan

Oddometer:
    This google support link may be of interest:
    Hi,
    A question you subscribed to has received a new reply:

Gold Product Expert [​IMG]
    Josh258
    There is another thread for the 2nd issue posted is the forum, "greyed out and will not import". Pattern suggests a file association issue with multiple apps on iOS that use kml/kmz.

Link to that issue thread
    https://support.google.com/earth/thread/11433569

Please follow the linked thread if you are having this "unable to select" issue. @Brarry, please add you comment in that thread. That information will add value to that quest.

The original poster on this thread has stated that the file does, is successful with, import, but the features do not show when they toggle the eye (show/hide) icon. Again, this is a separate issue; most likely with the kml itself.

Josh258
  9. HoloHolo

HoloHolo 2 wheels !!!!

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a work around for opening GPX files with iPad or iPhone after new software update IOS 13?
  10. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I only know of two options at this time:

1-remove all but the one app that you want to use GPX with. Determine all the other apps as they will show in the export, open in, copy to xxxxx. That’s not a good solution for me though.

2-if the app you like to use can use KML files also, try to see if KML works. It does on mine. I export my files from BaseCamp in KML for the app I use or you can use GPSbabel to convert gpx to KML.

Joe
  11. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh crap! Seriously? I just did the update the other day and NOW I see this. Sure enough gpx files won't upload to anything on the phone.
  12. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just updated to iOS 13.2 and it does NOT fix the import issue.
  13. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't bother, that's a waste of time.

Contact the app developers because they will need to implement a workaround while waiting for the issue to be fixed. And it may never be fixed.

So you should be able to correct the issue by uninstalling apps that use the wrong UTI?
  14. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    The process is convoluted* but it's possible to use the Apple Configurator app to find out which UTI each app is using.

Perhaps we could start a list here of apps that are using the wrong UTI? For example MotionX GPS is using `com.fullpower.GPS.gpx` and unfortunately they seem to have stopped developing the app so it won't be changed.

(* when you try to install an app that's already installed on the device, the app is stored in a temporary cache on disk and can be extracted to access the UTI definition list)
  15. Addapost

Oddometer:
    Where do you get that info? I am using Gaia. I have contacted them but am waiting for a response. Thanks.
  16. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    whats the process for rolling back to an earlier firmware, on iphones ?
  17. Addapost

Oddometer:
    This is from Gaia, I tried it and it works. If you’re using another App see if it has some version of “import”.

Hi Jim,

I am sorry for the trouble. We recently found a bug affecting importing files on iOS 13 and are working on a fix.

For now, as a workaround, you can save the file to your device and use the Import File tool:

Select "save to files" from the Share menu > Open Gaia GPS > Tap the create menu ( + ) > Select Import Files > Choose the file you just saved

Again, I'm sorry for any trouble this issue may cause and thank you for your patience as we work on a solution.
  18. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    This morning, Guru Maps Pro got updated, The change log for this update said it fixed the GPX/KML/KMZ import issue. Guru Maps Pro is the app I primarily use and it has been broken for imports since I updated to iOS 13. I did not delete any of my other mapping apps or apps to make this work. So, it seems there is a fix available. Hopefully this fix will make the rounds and this issue will get resolved for all the apps.
  19. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Weird, I've not had this issue with GPX files on any version of ios 13.
  20. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    That must be because you only have a single GPX compatible app on your phone or all the GPX compatible apps you have are using the same UTI for GPX. The latter would be pure luck.