iPhone + Navigon vs a real gps

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by doctor_big, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    You can do that with Navigon
  2. DynaSport

DynaSport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting, the Navigon website says you can, but the instructions about what was necessary seemed confusing, so I called their customer support and the customer support person says you can't. So, if you have successfully done this could you let me know.

Thanks
  3. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    I haven't done it myself, I read a thread on here about it. I only use track logs as they are way more reliable when following specific roads than routes.
  4. DCMC

DCMC Supermoto Rider

Oddometer:
    I have iOS 6, and the apple navigation talks to your bluetooth. Now I may buy a SENA helmet headset. It's pretty neat.
  5. DynaSport

Oddometer:
    Motion X Drive gives me my directions on BT as well through my Scala G4
  6. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    yeah, but you can't upload premade routes from laptop.
  7. edtheslowrider

edtheslowrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can do that just fine with Motion X. You CANNOT do that with Motion X Drive.
    Motion X - Tracks.
    Motion X Drive - Routes.

Create route in Google, convert to gpx, email or drag and drop to your phone. Track maps can be preloaded so no issue with cell coverage even though that's the next shortcoming to be reported.

Just used my custom backroad track to get to Ogunquit and home over back roads through VT, NH, ME and I'm a fanboy now.

Only thing that really pisses me off, I mean really really really pisses me off, is the asshole popups (alerts) 'Unable to acess cellular data network' (only popped up once thank God) and 'Charging not supported with this device' (after 4 hours of charging fine). These popups require me to fucking press OK and did I say this pisses me off?

Other than that for on road custom routes it was great for a dollar.
  8. levain

Oddometer:
    I guess I need more of a hand holding. I tried to do this. Got the waypoints on Motion X and it drew a straight line from point to point. There was no routing. What am I doing wrong? Does it actually do turn by turn?
  9. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motion-X GPS does *NOT* do on-road routing. Motion-X Drive does.
  10. levain

Oddometer:
    But you can't upload routes in drive. Correct?
  11. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't quote me on this, but I believe that is correct.
  12. DynaSport

Oddometer:
    No you can't. At least I can't find a way to and I emailed their customer support and they said you couldn't as well.
  13. edtheslowrider

Oddometer:
    I also believe this is true. I mistakenly purchased MotionX Drive initially. Not what I wanted. Waste of $.99!
    So I looked a little deeper and found MotionX.
    How many waypoints were in the GPX file you sent to MotionX? I'd guess you should have several hundred per mile?
    Pretty continuous trace of dots along a map.

I'll paste in the How-To file I wrote cause I'm a dumb fuck and forget shit, and I LOVE being able to create a custom map
    and follow on a GPS, or my phone in this case (as I'm also poor and don't have a proper moto GPS).

I wrote this file specifically for me so forgive if bits don't make sense.

Create a route, convert to gpx format and import to motionX app on iPhone

Create Route in Google Maps
    Save to My Maps (login as edtheslowrider)
    Edit Map to give a decent name
    copy Link from Google map ('link') button
    1) use Takeitwithme (http://www.takitwithme.com/)
    -Select *Line Options* To Track
    -Edit resulting .gpx file to get rid of ALL extraneous <name> tags (keep just the <name> following <trk> tag)
    or
    2) GPSVisualizer http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input?convert_format=gpx
    -Edit resulting GPX <name> tag
    or
    3) with google map open with route (FIREFOX!!) click GMapTo2GPX on toolbar - select 'Full' in GPX file that opens
    -Edit resulting GPX <name> tag
    copy / paste into *.GPX file (use Notepad save as .gpx)

Do either:
    1) connect iPhone, select phone, Apps, page down to File sharing, Add...., select gpx file
    2) email attached gpx to gpsimport@motionx.com, open email on iphone and select link - use native mail app

Tracks - Import
  14. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Instead of up loading routes which are unreliable, upload tracks. Tracks will never change when transfering like routes will.
  15. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the cellular network alert is crap. That is a bug in MotionX... I've emailed them but they haven't done anything so far.

The charging not supported message is your charger on it's way out... either due to vibration or water damage. Time to clean the contacts, maybe replace the cable. If that doesn't work buy a new charger.
  16. DynaSport

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a 2000 mile weeklong trip with some friends and left my Garmin 2720 at home to see how using the iPhone would suit me. I mounted the iPhone with a waterproof Biologic case. Here are my conclusions.

At first I was very pleased, but a couple of serious shortcomings soon popped up. First, depending on the gloves I was using, the iPhone didn't respond at all, or not reliably. That meant taking off my glove when riding or pulling over to do something. Second, the screen was not very readable depending on how bright it was outside. I use the iPhone with Motion X Drive in my car all the time and those two issues are not problems in the car at all, but on the bike I was not happy.

Finally, there was one ride we wanted to do that had lots of turns on back roads. Trying to devise a way to force that in Motion X Drive was more than I could manage. I actually missed Basecamp, which I find frustrating to use, as I could have at least accomplished what I was trying to do with it. Without that, we gave up on the ride and did a simpler ride.

So, I have decided that while the iPhone makes a perfectly acceptable car GPS, it sucks on the bike.

I will say the Biologic case is nice and I'll probably keep using it to mount my iPhone on the bike for non-gps uses.

My .02, yours may vary.
  17. levain

Oddometer:
    +1.
    Your conclusions are exactly why I chose to replace my dead Zumo with a Montana. We're just not there yet with our phones. Consider how far we've come though! Give it another year or 3 and I bet the phone will be the preferred GPS:1drink
  18. edtheslowrider

Oddometer:
    Keep trying to use motionX Drive for tracks and tell everyone how it won't do it. Far better than finding out
    that to use tracks you need a different app, motionX.

Oh btw, did you hear? You can't use a phone for a GPS if you don't have cell service?

Now, depending on your requirements, a purpose built Montana may very well be the tool you need. God knows I
    want one. But it's silly to proclaim a smart phone can't do something that it most certainly CAN do.

A successful forum, to me, is a place where you learn about things you know little, and share information about things
    of which you know alot.
  19. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    That's a joke right!
  20. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    What's the punch-line? :rofl