iPhone usage in Mexico?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by srileo, Dec 13, 2007.

1. srileo

srileo dot Indian snakecharmer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    am wondering as to what to expect from AT&T in mexico. My music and spanish audio is on the iphone and i want to keep that handy but do not want to get slammed with roaming charges etc. However, in the case of an emergeny or for urgent calls, i do want to use the iphone for a few minutes every day.

From AT&T website I get this info:
    AT&T® Mexico™ $4.99 per month
    With AT&T Mexico, get competitive rates that allow you to stay in touch, no matter where in Mexico you call or go.*
    Call 1-800-331-0500 to sign up now.
    $0.59 per minute while roaming in Mexico
    $0.09 per minute when calling from the U.S. to a Mexican wireline
    $0.25 per minute when calling from the U.S. to a Mexican wireless device
    *Outside this destination, standard rates apply.

And that is if i sign up for the MExico monthly plan - which i do not want to at all.

Am wondering if i should just switch the iPhone into Airplane mode for the duration of the trip? Will that ensure that my phone does not roam and check for email etc but still dish up my music and audio? I have heard horror stories of people getting gigantic phone bills just from roaming....
  2. Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Blue Ridge Wheeltor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Oddometer:

ps. They say if you are out of the country, you can call in to the USA for free.
  4. hgulledge

hgulledge Adventurer-of-sorts Supporter

Oddometer:
    The main thing I know is that if you access the web or your email, every minute is like $20 or something. I ran up over $200 in charges on a weekend in Monterrey. I'll leave it off and use my iPod next time.
  5. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Monterrey CA? I didn't notice any big internet or email charges when I was in TX.
  6. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    That is just plane clunky. I would do Vonage first and get their V-phone. Same idea, USB into any pc, but it doesn't need a phone, comes with the headset that plugs into the module. Vonage will leave your voicemails available via email and the web and allow you to simul ring/call forward to a cell while you are moving.

Edit: Sorry, it's the V-phone, not the soft phone. Same idea, USB with the software loaded on it, but the headset (earphone and mic) are incorporated with the USB dongle. V-phone linky

[​IMG]
  7. Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Oddometer:
    I was skeptical of Magic Jack at first, but as I said, we have it at the office and it works. One agent has it and uses it with a headphone. The big difference between it and Vonage is the cost. There is no monthly fee, $40 initially for the first year (includes service and jack) then like $12 thereafter per year.
    Yeah, I was looking for the scam at first, but there is none.
    The one disadvantage I see is that there are only 30 or so area codes, so if you are in NC you may have a FL area code. This means if your next door neighbor calls you, it may be a long distance call, but most people have free long distance on their cell. Also, you need to be able to dial in to high speed internet.
    There must be a way to use a splitter, but at the moment we just bought 2 and run the fax thru one and a phone thru the other.
    I am getting it at home, and dumping my land line.
  8. Viejo

Viejo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just went down into Mexico in October and I used my Iphone. Contact ATT and sign up for international roaming. Only costs $5 a month. Then when ever you use the phone down there you will be charged .65 a minute. Its a lot cheaper than not signing up for the roaming. Otherwise its about $1.50 a minute. Watch out for Data roaming, that can be expensive too. Wait for a Wifi spot.
    To turn off Data roaming go to settings, General, network, and turn off data roaming.

When you get back then cancel the Mexico roaming.

I was down there for a week and my bill was about $40 higher than usual. I made alot of calls.
  9. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did this too, worked fine. AT&T did warn me that it might be a good idea (expecially depending on billing cycle) to pay for an extra month of the $5 roaming. Else you could cancel and then if the billing from MX is delayed, find yourself getting billed $1.50 per min. That said, I'm sure you could dispute later as the calls must be dated even if old Carlos Slim is late sending AT&T the details.