iPhone XR as GPS Questions

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Dave in Wi, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    I’ve been considering getting a mount to use my iPhone XR as a GPS for a while now.

One thing has been holding me back. I’ve heard vibration can damage the camera image stabilization. But I’m not sure how much of a concern this really is.

My bike is a Kawasaki RZX 1200, 4-cylinder so it’s not a paint-shaker, but it does have buzzy handlebars at certain RPMs. Street riding only, except for an occasional gravel road.

Do you use an iPhone XR as a GPS, and how has it worked for you?
  2. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't have an iPhone XR but I used my iPhone XS for over 6K miles, of both on- & off-road, on my rig (see below). In addition, I've been using my iPhone 11Pro Max now for about 800mi and I have had no camera stabilization issues on either iPhone. My mount is NOT on the handlebars, as you can see, it is up higher and is a bit more isolated from high-frequency vibrations - which are the ones that can adversely effect the mechanical stabilization hardware in these iPhones. My iPhone is mounted using a Quad Lock Case and Mirror Clamp Mount with a Motorcycle Wireless Charger also from Quad Lock. Never had any issues with iPhone or Mount and I've been on some rather ruff Forest Roads.

But, just one data point...YMMV. Apparently, some folks have not had the same luck mounting their phone on Dual Sport handlebars.

720897AC-7B57-478A-B259-6B4068C5E1E2.jpeg

9D24355B-E4E7-4933-8A12-01EEE50193A8.jpeg
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    holy crap that's cool !

mannnnnnnn
  4. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My friends iPhone camera went crazy and he rides a cruiser... the probability is always there.

The question you need to ask yourself is "are you ok with the probability of the expensive phone getting screwed..."

Me: My S10e rides in my chest pocket, and there is a TomTom550 on the bars...
  5. ohgood

Oddometer:

if the phone has optical image stabilization, that's what breaks

all phones, tablets, etc that don't use it are fine
  6. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    So it’s my birthday month and I am about to pull the trigger on buying a phone mount for my bike. Doing a little more research, I see that Quad Lock has an anti-vibration mount in production to solve just this issue. It’s not shipping yet, but it should be soon.

I’m going to go ahead and pick up a mount and give it a shot without it for the time being. I do have a protection plan on my phone, so if the image stabilization does crap out it’s not going to break the bank. I will report back with my findings.
  7. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where can I find more info about the Quad Lock anti-vibration mount you speak of? I’m about to replace my RAM X-Grip in hopes of not killing my phone’s camera.
  8. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. ohgood

Oddometer:
    these don't need extra pieces added for vibration damping, because they're not rigid mounts...

Screenshot_20200802-034929.png

all the rigid mounts need extra non rigid pieces added to prevent vibration transfer... I just skip the rigid mounts
  10. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    As an update, I got the Quad Lock mount installed last week. I also got the USB charging port and wired it into the front running light so it’s on a switched power source. Works great.

IMG_2300.jpg

I was able to position the mount so the phone does not cover either turn signs light on the dash. It does cover the gas gauge.

Yesterday I put on about 300 miles of mostly back roads. So far so good, the camera still works. Not to say it won’t crap out in the future. I still plan on getting the anti-vibration mount as soon as it’s available.

I mostly used Guru Maps as the navigation app. I like it because it’s easy to set a destination and put in waypoints your make it take the back-road route you want. I do have a lot to learn about using apps for navigation and making routes. If anyone can point me to a good beginner tutorial I’m all ears.

A problem I ran into was when I ventured into Illinois. We headed for Scales Mound (highest point in Illinois) but Guru maps wouldn’t take me there so I had to use a different app. I think I figured out why, I only downloaded the Wisconsin offline map. Never suspected I’d venture voluntarily into Illinois on my bike. But that corner of the state is a nice riding area.

Another was, it doesn’t seem to reroute if you don’t follow the route. We ran into some freshly chip-sealed roads which I didn’t take, and it kept telling me to do a u-turn. Maybe I didn’t give it enough time.

I also badly need to get touchscreen gloves.
  11. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    An an FYI in case anyone is interested. The Quad Lock vibration dampener is now available. I’ve been running without it for about 1000 miles and have not broken the image stabilization yet. But I’m ordering one today.

IMG_2494.png
  12. Tiger993

Tiger993 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had my iPhone XR mounted on the handlebar of my Yamaha FJR for 6,000 miles without issue (high frequency inline four). Had it on the handlebar of my KTM 1290 SA for 7,000 miles without issue (low frequency twin). Then the camera stabilization crapped out as I was riding a 30 mile rough washboard road on the KTM last month. I was going pretty fast and I guess it was too much for the camera.

I was impressed with the YouTube video of the Quadlock anti-vibration mount and will try it with the next phone.
  13. ubermick

ubermick Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This is in no way shape or form phone related, but I want to make sweet, sweet love to this machine.

Oh. My. God.
  14. Carmmond

Carmmond S.E. WI

Oddometer: