iPhone XS camera issue after rough riding

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by jtclark13, Aug 25, 2019.

1. jtclark13

jtclark13 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I know this is a GPS forum, but I do know many inmates post questions about using GPS apps on their phone. I just had to go to the Apple Store for second time because my camera has had issues focusing. It’s interesting that both times it was after harder off-road riding while using my phone as a GPS mounted to my handlebars via a Quad Lock mount.

Has anyone else had this problem? The first time they replaced the camera free of charge, today they said there was an issue replacing the camera so they gave me a new phone at no cost. I certainly didn’t let them know my phone was mounted to an off-road bike, but it doesn’t seem like a coincidence. I’m on a plan where it only makes sense to upgrade each fall, but I’ve never had any issues prior to this latest model. I also used the Ram X-Grip before moving to the Quad Lock, but don’t think that is the problem. Thoughts or feedback?
  2. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've heard that Apple uses hardware image stabilization and that makes them vulnerable to excessive vibration. Not sure if it's accurate, but with popping a goog about.
  3. jtclark13

Oddometer:
    I haven’t looked yet, but only makes sense. There was a reason I left the Quad Lock case in the Jeep when I went in. I just hope it’s not an ongoing issue moving forward.
  4. Chipk

Chipk Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I lost two phones/cameras when they were on a ram mount on my handlebars. This was ona R1200 GSA after about 1,300 miles or road riding, so not too rough but apparantly enough vibration. They were both android phones (OnePlus and a Pixel) and were repalced under warranty, bit that's what cause the focus to go to hell!
  5. jtclark13

Oddometer:
    So it sounds like we all have the same issue and we need to keep our mouths shut when we go into make our warranty claims.
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    stop using rigid mounts.

the flexible mounts transfer very little (if any) vibration to devices.
  7. jtclark13

Oddometer:
    I’ll switch back to the X-grip on the 690 to see if it makes a difference. The Quad Lock shouldn’t affect the ride on the Multistrada.
  8. ohgood

Oddometer:
    that isnt flexible
  9. ncj01

ncj01 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is common.

I went through several cameras on my iPhones after being bar mounted on my bikes. Something about the camera image stabilization.

In the end, I got a cheap android for bar mounting and running gps apps.

I keep my iPhone in jacket pocket, it runs REVER for tracking and my music runs off it. But no more bar mounting.
    jtclark13 likes this.
  10. jtclark13

Oddometer:
    Recommendations?
  11. ohgood

Oddometer:
  12. jtclark13

Oddometer:
    ohgood likes this.
  13. ncj01

Oddometer:
    no rubber mount will keep the phone from being shaken like it's inside a paint shaker....

my last iphone lasted 4-5 months of "every weekend" riding before the camera gave up....

you just have to decide what works for you, but i don't think a rubber mount has anything to do with it.
  14. jtclark13

Oddometer:
    Luckily Apple has covered it under warranty both times, I’ve never had trouble in the past with older versions of the iPhone. That’s why I was wondering if the newest model was more prone to have issues.
  15. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you need a tough phone, this may be what you need - especially if you want to use it while diving to 3000 feet! I use a 2 year old Nomu S10 and am mostly pretty happy with it for a navigation device. I would be tempted by this or its successor when I eventually need a new phone.

https://www.nomu.hk/nomu-s50-pro/details-0024.html
    TripleTriples likes this.
  16. jtclark13

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link, but I’ll never own an Android phone :hide I work for a company who’s software is App based, so I know the differences and can’t stand Android devices. But I’ve also had 2 Garmin GPSs and never really got them either and they are obviously an industry leader :dunno
  17. ohgood

Oddometer:
    but you're wrong. the rubber (silicon actually) does a very nice job of isolating the phone from vibrations.

again, flexible/simple mounts transfer less vibration to the device than rigid mounts.
  18. ncj01

Oddometer:
    nope, no way. a couple mm of rubber doesn't change the fact it's mounted to a handlebar over rough terrain for thousands of miles.
    it's a paint-shaker, and it will damage the camera in the long run.

If it gives you peace of mind, then by all means, run whatever you want. But lets keep the false narrative down a little to the masses.
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:
    lol just keep being wrong, no one will notice.

i guess the reason that drone cameras, isolation rigs, engine mounts, steady cams, etc all have flexible insulators in their final suspension bodies is.... because they're using the same false narrative.

lol whatever man, you don't have to try it yourself, plenty of other people will , and see the difference. ;-)
  20. ncj01

Oddometer:
    those are WILDLY different than a smart phone mounted on a motorcycle handlebar for thousands of offroad miles.

and i have had TWO iphones go bad - in a row - with dampened mounting.

You're out of your element, Friendo.
    250senuf likes this.