Iran 2019

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rumpel, Jan 31, 2021.

1. rumpel

rumpel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The glasses are lost, but luckily I have the other one. We continue on the two-lane road and at some point he feels like something is rubbing my stomach. Ffuck, I haven't closed my tangbag again, I'm losing a few things, including my baseball cap. Anyway, every trip I miss something from the tangbag, once in the Balkans a passport and other documents (luckily found).

We get to Yazd quite efficiently, at the beginning we want to see the towers of silence.

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wieża_milczenia

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wieża_milczenia

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Tomaso, lvscrvs, Mcahron and 5 others like this.
  2. rumpel

rumpel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After a quick tour of the tower, we go to the center in search of accommodation. Krzysztof finds a hotel in a "traditional style" as he put it, we unpack and go to the city.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yazd "is famous" for the structures / towers (Badgir) towering over the roofs of the old town, used to maintain a constant temperature.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We try to change the money but we fail, we wander a bit in search of the "exchange office" and finally we settle for the next morning, they have to spend twenty or several million;)
    lvscrvs, Mcahron, young1 and 6 others like this.
  3. NICHE

NICHE EasyRider

Oddometer:
    This is a great RR! Thank you and very good photography also.
  4. rumpel

rumpel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks ;)

Well, the moment has come that I really wanted to smoke a shisha (narghile), I walk around the market, I ask, but unfortunately there is no "shisha bar" anywhere. I don't know what's going on but it surprised me a bit. In general, in the whole of Iran somehow there no one smoke, whether it is water pipes or ordinary cigarettes, I do not know if I have written before, but on the street I saw only two smokers for the entire trip. Now i know that smoking outside is forbiden.

The next item on the agenda was visiting the "House of Strength", frankly speaking, I didn't really feel like it, but well, I let myself be persuaded.

http://www.odkrywamyinterior.pl/wschod/iran/zurkaneh-czyli-dom-sily-cz-1/

A 45-minute spectacle, no sorry but crowded and smell like in the locker room after NHL players (that's how I imagine it) and that it was not from "wrestlers", but tourists and their feets ;)

Mcahron, BigStu, scudo and 2 others like this.
  5. MZ5

MZ5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looked for a moment like Rick Steve walked in front of the camera. (-:
  6. rumpel

rumpel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the morning breakfast, packing and we are going to change for $ 100. The Plan includes visiting Kharanaq village / city

https://www.itto.org/iran/attraction/kharanagh-village-yazd/

it is not far from Jazd, so we get there quite quickly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

in the city we meet four guys from Warsawa who travel around Iran by taxi.

[​IMG]

The guy on this bike was quite "annoying" he made 3 rounds and insisted on switching to motorbikes ;)
  7. rumpel

rumpel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, the next item on the agenda is the temple of fire

http://www.heritageinstitute.com/zoroastrianism/worship/piresabz.htm

In the driveway (serpentine) in front of the temple, we see boys from Poland, whom we met earlier, get off because they are not able to drive with them;)
    Then it turns out that the engine is finished so the guys will "sweat" on the way back. As for the temple itself, it is definitely a great spot, quite a steep climb up the countless number of stairs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the parking, a standard, lady after 60 with quite good English asking us from where, how good that we came, etc.? But the fruit she gave us, especially grapes, that was something.
  8. rumpel

rumpel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMGP8376.JPG IMGP8383.JPG IMGP8404.JPG IMGP8408.JPG IMGP8418.JPG IMGP8422.JPG Few more pic
  9. rumpel

rumpel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DSCN4511.JPG DSCN4516.JPG DSCN4467.JPG DSCN4534.JPG DSCN4536.JPG ...
  10. rumpel

rumpel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DSCN4549.JPG DSCN4555.JPG DSCN4561.JPG DSCN4587.JPG DSCN4600.JPG DSCN4626.JPG DSCN4629.JPG ...
  11. rumpel

rumpel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0649.JPG IMG_0650.JPG IMG_0651.JPG IMG_0652.JPG IMG_0654.JPG IMG_0658.JPG ...
  12. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very interesting trip report so far.

My father is an immigrant to the US from Iran, around 1974. I enjoy seeing pictures and a travelers perspective of his home.
  13. rumpel

rumpel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the plan is to spend the night in the desert. On the way, we stop at the station with mega food.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And our (Polish) Tiger (energy drink) , I wonder how he got to Iran despite the sanctions.
  14. rumpel

rumpel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20191015_140956.jpg 20191015_141541.jpg 20191015_143933.jpg 20191015_144308.jpg ....
    Old Codger, scudo, Mcahron and 4 others like this.
  15. rumpel

rumpel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are heading for Varzaneh Sand Hills. https://adventure.com/iran-sand-dunes-varzaneh/ We do "poor" shopping for dinner and breakfast and we go looking for a place to stay. We pass the last houses and drive in the final dunes. Krzychu stays on the road, I am looking for a spot away from the others eyes. A few locals boys torture Chinese motorcycles in the dunes. One of the boys asks if he can try it on my bike. I agree if he can keep the bike vertical. He was surprised by the weight ;)

We put up the tents slowly, wind starts blowing like hell, we try to stick pins and strech tents lines, hoping that some damn thing will not hurt us by digging into the sand.

Time for photos. I don't remember when was the last time so clear and starry sky . Unfortunately, I did not take a good, stable tripod and the photos are blurry due to the wind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    scudo, Mcahron, dickosaurus and 6 others like this.
  16. rumpel

rumpel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0663.JPG IMG_0673.JPG IMG_0687.JPG IMG_0691.JPG IMG_0663.JPG IMG_0673.JPG IMG_0687.JPG IMG_0691.JPG IMG_0663.JPG IMG_0673.JPG IMG_0687.JPG IMG_0691.JPG ...
    Old Codger, scudo, Mcahron and 4 others like this.
  17. rumpel

rumpel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0725.JPG IMG_0716.JPG IMG_0719.JPG IMG_0724.JPG
    scudo, mtnbikeboy, Mcahron and 6 others like this.
  18. rumpel

rumpel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We go to sleep, in the distance behind some dune it gets louder and louder, we hear cars, motorbikes and louder and louder music. Evidently, the youth came to the party away from prying eyes. I fall asleep somehow. At night I am awakened by the sound of an approaching car, the passage is getting closer, stops about 15-20m from the tents, illuminating them with lights. , I get out of the tent, the voices in the car fade away , the car is leaving.

I wake up sleepy and cold. Time for breakfast and packing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    scudo, mtnbikeboy, Mcahron and 4 others like this.
  19. rumpel

rumpel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0738.JPG IMG_0763.JPG DSCN4711.JPG DSCN4737.JPG 20191016_073118.jpg ...
    scudo, mtnbikeboy, Mcahron and 3 others like this.
  20. rumpel

rumpel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We drive to a gas station to drink coffee and refuel. A Peugeot Pars pulls up to me and touches my hand with a mirror as it refuel. Come on, fuck, I think what a guy. He opens the window and tells me that we are driving a little too fast and too reckless to be careful. It's kind of funny because we drive quite conservatively and carefully, but well. It turns out to be an undercover cop.

Coffee at the station is super good, espresso is thick as tar

IMG_0764.JPG IMG_0768.JPG DSCN4747.JPG DSCN4762.JPG