Iron Butt Adventures

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Rollin', Nov 15, 2016.

1. kwthom

kwthom Retiree apprentice - willing to learn

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle maintenance in a garage that's 90° by noon sucks!

That is all. :lol3
  2. LeMaitre

LeMaitre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Compared to 53 degrees, rain, and no garage it almost sounds appealing. :jjen
  3. WYO George

WYO George witness protection file #7236

Oddometer:
    It snowed up in the mountains last night. Tomorrow we are heading to those mountains for our last weekend of camping this year. The snow should be melted and temps up in the 50's during the day. It should be a fun way to end the summer.
  4. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been researching and buying more medical equipment to use at home and I can say that compared to medical equipment motorcycle accessories are cheap!
  5. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I spent a few years selling medical supplies (heart valves) I think manufactures know that there’s federal money behind most purchases. They charge whatever Uncle Sam will pay.. The same Uncle that pays $600 for hammers..
    I’m ready for another long trip, but I’m not sure I’m going to have time. That doesn’t make sense, I just retired..
  6. kwthom

kwthom Retiree apprentice - willing to learn

Oddometer:
    It's all about perspectives, ain't it?

:lol3

My big annual maintenance efforts I've typically done the month I bought the vehicle; just makes it easier to remember.

Why I bought this bike in August is beyond me. :rofl

LD Content: I'm rather surprised at the amount of meat I still have on my original brake pads. Must be that running 160 - 190 miles before really needing the binders helps with longevity. :smile6
  7. neanderthaler

neanderthaler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going way off subject here, but my buddy is a machinist who makes medical tools and devices and he says that the expense is actually the record keeping, marking and testing of every single component. The actual instrument is the smallest part of the price. Sorry, back to motorcycle stuff. I do agree with the premise of overpriced though
  8. 1oldsickle

1oldsickle been over there awhile

Oddometer:
    Buddy +machinist = titanium farkles :imaposer
    neanderthal, Rollin', kwthom and 4 others like this.
  9. neanderthaler

Oddometer:
    What’s everyone doing this weekend? Quiet here, so I’ll go off subject again and post a cross training pic. “Mountain” biked this morning and then back to work. Hoping to ride the Goldwing next weekend IMG_0139.JPG
    Bigbob1, WYO George, sector7g and 4 others like this.
  10. 413Sean

413Sean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very quiet around here, hopefully everyones been too busy riding their motorcycles.

I'm headed out now to terrorize the local gravel loop
  11. Zlock

Zlock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice ride. Is it a Bronson or a 5010?
    neanderthaler likes this.
  12. 1oldsickle

Oddometer:
    Just a quick reminder today is the last day to sign up for the eggsanity 1000 gold starting and ending in Memphis Tn.
  13. 1oldsickle

Oddometer:
    Took a ride to Winona MN. For a tour of honor C65A173B-FBF2-4998-A123-FA40E0925981.jpeg F1B9C6EC-DB67-4D08-9508-20C28ED5D882.jpeg D7C19DD4-1643-401C-A25D-906D1A18BA48.jpeg 7B102D19-D112-4C97-A9CA-9D45588C9A92.jpeg RTM. Bunch of great guys and gals. Saw plates on bikes from Alaska-Florida as well as some IBR plate Backers. Next year this will be held in Gettysburg Pa.
    BkerChuck, Traxx, Rollin' and 5 others like this.
  14. sector7g

sector7g Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I, too, went mountain biking. Though I used the FJR... The road looked paved on the map.... :D Ran up the mountain on a solid washboard and gravel. Shaken, not stirred. I used to mountain bike. But it turned out I like to not pedal.
    Rollin', Traxx, neanderthaler and 2 others like this.
  15. neanderthaler

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Zlock. It's a 5010. 1oldsickle, great pics and a great cause. One of these days, i'll get off my ass and do ToH. Every year I commit to myself to slow down on the certificate rides and pick a long term, theme related goal for the year, whether it's ToH, NPT, Lighthouses, BMR or similar, then I never do. Maybe next year. Sector7g, you're gonna need a Super Tenere for that kind of ride, although plenty of legends have ridden a lot of gravel on FJR's.
    MizzouRider, sector7g, Traxx and 4 others like this.
  16. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really enjoy these longer rides. I spent the last few weekends mopping up some lingering ToH sites as well as some States of Confusion (Team Strange Grand Tour) while I bag miles for the MS5000.

I hit ToH stops in 18 states but have only completed New England. For me its great to have a destination out somewhere I'd normally not go

I especially enjoyed the hunt for SoC sites this year - very much like rally planning.
  17. 413Sean

413Sean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well polls are open for @sector7g procuring himself a Super 10 full on gravel bike. My vote is yay! :rofl It can be done on a victory vision, CTX, FJR, or RT , but shit he needs another bike!
  18. Traxx

Traxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can combine the TOH to get your certified rides. There is even a TOH IBA ride, do all the memorials in a state with 1000+ miles and you’re good.
  19. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    Actually, it's four or more memorials - and does not have to be within the state for the ToH SS1000. There is also the ToH - SS - State which is an in-state or in-region SS1000 hitting all the memorials in that state/region. I think that used to be called the ToH SS Extreme.

jdg
  20. Traxx

Traxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay good point. How is this?

There are two rides recognized by the Tour of Honor, the TOUR OF HONOR SADDLESORE and the TOUR OF HONOR SADDLESORE-EXTREME. These rides are not for novices, and must conform to the IBA rules mentioned below.

The TOUR OF HONOR SADDLESORE is a 1000-mile ride in 24 hours, visiting at least four (4) ToH memorial sites during the ride.

The TOUR OF HONOR SADDLESORE-EXTREME is a 1000-mile ride in 24 hours, visiting all seven (7) of one state's selected memorial sites, OR any seven (7) sites in a region. A variation can be a Tour of Honor Extreme Bun Burner, a 1500-mile ride in 36 hours, visiting all seven of a state's memorials, or any eight sites in a region.

NOTE: Credit for more strenuous rides like Bun Burner Golds (1500 miles in 24 hours) will not be allowed because of safety factors and detracting from the TOH experience.

Your TOH-IBA ride will be recognized on the IBA website, and you'll receive a special certificate reflecting both accomplishments. You must include proof of visiting at least seven TOH sites, in addition to your verification by the IBA, to qualify for this special IBA ride.
    Zlock, sector7g and neanderthaler like this.