Iron Butt Adventures

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Rollin', Nov 15, 2016.

1. neanderthaler

neanderthaler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ideas, fellas. Getting ideas for next year. 7g, has Sean420 talked you into a new bike yet?
    413Sean, MizzouRider and sector7g like this.
  2. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My g/f wanted to get her IBA number and we were still waiting on certification of our Pressed Penny Challenge from last year and so in late June I dropped the idea of doing a Tour of Honor Saddlesore. We left south central PA early on June 22 and headed south as we'd already hit most of the ToH stuff close to us. We hit 4 ToH memorial in VA and 2 in NC plus a couple of States of Confusion sites and 2 of the Facebook RTE sites covering 1109 miles in 22.5 hours. That cert just arrived Friday in the mail. Of course in the meantime our Pressed Penny ride had been certified so Dianne went from wanting her number to Mile Eater status as a pillion all in a couple of month. We're working on our National Parks tour now.

This was my second Tour of Honor Saddlesore and I love the certs for them. Very well made up with mentions of the specific memorials. Next year will be really cool since the meet in Gettysburg will only be an hour from my home.
  3. sector7g

sector7g Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap

BTW, it's not me ya have to talk in to getting a new bike.... :icy
  4. kendoo

kendoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

That Dianne is a trooper!! See you in a few weeks?
    neanderthaler and Boondoggle like this.
  5. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to it Ken! You staring in PA?
    Boondoggle likes this.
  6. 1oldsickle

1oldsickle been over there awhile

Oddometer:
    April1st did the in state ss1k extreme it was a great ride and I enjoyed going to every memorial and taking it all in. With that being said I still haven’t turned the paperwork into the IBA. I will do this this winter when I slow down. I’ve been wanting to do the Madonna trail. But it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen this year ( stupid work) .guys if your on the fence about doing this ,jump in This is a great organization doing great things!!
  7. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know how to make an iPhone send pics as attachments rather than inside the body of the message?

I’ve tried settings and downloaded the Outlook app, not having luck in either place

Niitwit rally is coming and last year the RM asked us to send them that way, would like to do so if possible
  8. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Weird .. never heard the difference. Sent as an attachment it should arrive to the recipient as an attachment no matter if there is an image 'preview' in the body.
  9. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    VOID Pa starters ... updated dinner info on the forum. Probably PJs near the airport.
    Boondoggle likes this.
  10. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Apparently there are plain text and html emails which both send as an attachment, but whatever iPhone sends only embeds it. Way over my head
  11. kendoo

kendoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes sir
    Patch, Boondoggle and BkerChuck like this.
  12. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Added up my stops and prepped my google pics account for the States of Confusion as I'm getting to the end of what I can actually get this time of year.

It seems like such a short list based on the hours spent research and riding to get them :lol3

It was a great tour though - I really enjoyed this one, specifically due to the 'hunt' that it took to find and validate proper stops. It was very rally-like in that regard and saw some amazing little podunk towns that I never would have ridden through. To me that makes it the most memorable.

If you've been on the fence on Team Strange Grand Tours, seriously look at it for next year. For me, as long as I know I'll be riding all over the place, this gives me some additional options to get off the slab, grab some points, and see some sights.
  13. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
    The Senior Butt Rally was created especially for the Iron Butt Rally Finisher, particularly the 60+ age generation, but in general it will appeal to all Finishers, all riders. It’s going to be fun, challenging, and memorable, sort of like a reunion would be of old friends. The SBR is a six day, two bike, team event that requires that at least one rider be an Iron Butt Rally Finisher age 60 or above. The other rider can be another Finisher of any age, or a non-IBR friend or relative you’d like to ride with.

Originally, I was going to ride with my daughter Lisa but as sometimes happens, life got in the way. So, I talked my USNA roommate Jack Airlie into riding this with me. The rally will run from Sept 22 through Sept 27, starting and finishing in Denison, TX.

The rules are pretty much the same as the IBR with a few exceptions – rests are mandatory, 6 hours per night, and pictures can be submitted with the phone. Both riders must finish, or neither is a finisher. For this inaugural event there are 15 teams participating. As you might imagine, Jack and I have the oldest combined age.

You can follow along with Jack and me at

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=202795d7aebe0dbcfd&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

This link will start showing movement on Thursday AM.

And where all the riders are at

https://spotwalla.com/locationViewer.php?id=726

this link will be active at 1000 CDT on Sunday Sept 22 when the rally starts.
    MizzouRider, Bigbob1, drneo and 11 others like this.
  14. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will surely be following along!! Can't wait to hear about it when I see you in VA.

Have a ball!!
  15. Mwise12

Mwise12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    See you at the starting line.
  16. neanderthaler

Oddometer:
    Best wishes to the SBR riders and the Eggsanity guys too
  17. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    I was hoping to do this, but cataract surgery got in the way. Maybe next year my credentials will be better as well as my vision.

Have fun. I'll be following along.

jdg
  18. sleazy rider

sleazy rider przemądrzały dupek

Oddometer:
    Well, that stint with no street bike didn’t last long. :lol3

May I present the new to me LD bike? A 1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 being sold to me by my main riding partner. That's him on it. It'll fit like an old shoe for me. My third early Hinckley Triumph 1200. My Daytona 1200 is behind him.

3b78a67c57af6502f37d599c131e12a2 (2).jpg
  19. neanderthaler

Oddometer:
    Welcome back, Sleazy Rider...long time no talk to around here. Nice bike - enjoy it and ride the heck out of it. It's gonna be another work weekend for me, and planning a good ride for next weekend. Can't wait to get on the road to anywhere. What's going on with everyone? Waiting for the Senior Butt Rally, Eggsanity and Texas Event reports to start coming in. Sadly, i'm continuing my 100% record of not being able to attend the TX Party.
  20. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got Betty back from her 50k check up. Off in the morning for a quick overnighter, not enough miles to even think about a cert. But, camping is the goal now that fall weather is here.