Iron Butt Adventures

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Rollin', Nov 15, 2016.

1. kwthom

kwthom Retiree apprentice - willing to learn

Oddometer:
    Oh, there's this devious little thought I've got rummaging around in the partially-addled brain cell that wasn't screwed over by brake cleaner odors today. :fitz This might just make me quasi-proficient with BC by the time this is done! :type

Agreed!
    neanderthaler likes this.
  2. sleazy rider

sleazy rider przemądrzały dupek

Oddometer:
    NPT was fun! I did mine taking the whole year and doing it on three day weekends, my two weeks vacation and holidays. I managed to finish with 42 states, but missed the silver by not going into New England. Time and money thing.

I’ve since visited many more parks on road trips and family vacations.

what are you looking to find out?
  3. kwthom

Oddometer:
    Just a compare and contrast between those two rides, specifically. I've already replied with a summary of that a couple of posts back in this thread.

I mean, the idea was so fantastic that, as many astute readers of this list may know, it was the basis of the 2015 Iron Butt Rally. As mentioned, the Silver version simulates the 4C ride by requiring locations to be grabbed in WA, ME, CA & FL.

There's a couple of 'do-over' tours we've considered doing which included a decent number of NPT locations.
  4. sleazy rider

sleazy rider przemądrzały dupek

Oddometer:
    :thumb

If you enjoy history, scenery and travel as I expect you do, it’s a fun and relaxing diversion from everyday life. The best part? The deadline clock runs long on it.
  5. kwthom

Oddometer:
    I told this story to another inmate in a PM on this topic...

When my wife and I were back visiting a high school buddy of mine that lives in NoVA last year, it took my wife just a bit to recognize the names and the places we were wandering around in our travels. She then wondered about why many things were named "Lee". :scratch

Of course, being a military dependent for the first 14 years of my life, I got the chance to live in a few different areas of the country. I then had to gently point out to her on that week of American History class way back when, she must have goofed off! I then mentioned about some Civil War general who had the same name. At that moment, she recognized she was riding around in some hallowed military grounds from that conflict from all those decades ago.

I then had to remind her that it was also area that was originally famous a few decades earlier - in Revolutionary War times.

LD Content: I'm reading elsewhere (the rider is an inmate here apparently...) about a guy riding a Super Cub - doing a NPT. That was probably the trigger to everything over the last 36 hours or so.
  6. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think your just shaming me into doing an instate SS on my scooter :)
    Rollin', 413Sean and neanderthaler like this.
  7. kwthom

Oddometer:
    Well...we're waiting for the Spotwalla link... :lol3

Kingsport, Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga, then back to where home specifically is.

Routing done.

Have fun! :rofl
    1oldsickle, Rollin' and Boondoggle like this.
  8. oneodd1

oneodd1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. Traxx

Traxx Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. neanderthaler

neanderthaler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't you know, I had a big ride planned this weekend. I was heading up to see Sean420 up in the northeast. Ran a few options thru basecamp and google and came up with a decent 2 BBG weekend. Work got crappy the last couple days and my head just wasn't in it. I'm gonna run the IBA Lap of Florida Gold instead and just stick close(r) to home. Hoping to leave sometime overnight/early morning. It is posted not to distribute IBA intellectual property, so just search "IBA Lap of Florida," if you're interested. TL/DR aprox 1850mi/32hr

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=2094e5d9e5541c104a
    Bigbob1, Rollin', AwDang and 2 others like this.
  11. oneodd1

oneodd1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. WYO George

WYO George Epstein didn’t kill himself

Oddometer:
    I didn't trophy this year, but I know the group that beat us! They finished Wyoming as a three rider group on April 2nd ( we finished on the 3rd) so that's all the WY trophies. I didn't want to answer for them in case Charlie does your survey, but in case he doesn't you now have the info for Wyoming.
    neanderthaler and oneodd1 like this.
  13. oneodd1

oneodd1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir! That one surprises me to be so early. If I recall someone from WY posted photos with a significant amount of snow. I realize this single year's time data is insignificant but I plan to scrape the data from the trophy page next year so I can collect it myself. I'm no fun at parties.
  14. WYO George

Oddometer:
    They hit it hard because my group hit it hard and we we met each other on the road going out of Pinedale they thought we were an hour ahead of them so they rode themselves into the ground trying to catch up. Luckily for them our route was different and they were actually ahead of us when they thought they were behind! The big snow pictures were probably mine.
    2019_57,490,648_WY03.JPG 2019_57,490,648_WY06 second photo.JPG
  15. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    What the heck is that maroon 648 bike?
  16. WYO George

Oddometer:
    That's my brother's 2016 Indian Chieftain
  17. varnerju

varnerju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmm... Part of me doesn't want to help you target my local area. Last year I missed Michigan third place by a week. This year I nabbed it, but there was still some snow in the UP (albeit only on the more fun backroads that are less traveled, and don't get much sun because of the thicker tree cover - H58). But in the interest of helping you gather data, and enabling your ride, I'll submit.

Also, I happened to grab Hawaii 3rd place. I was very surprised when I received the "congrats" email because I didn't even check. In Michigan I came up with a route from my door to each site and back to my door. First route in Basecamp showed 1055 miles or something like that, coincidence? Made it a SS1K Extreme! Then in Hawaii I mapped it out and it was something like 200 miles to get to all of the sites. Seems to be pretty easy to grab, but perhaps receives less entrants because the island life doesn't lend itself to big touring? Low hanging fruit there, but the cost of airfare and time just to get there is somewhat prohibitive. Of course, once you are there, the rest of the area is amazing, so that is worth considering.
    oneodd1 likes this.
  18. oneodd1

oneodd1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the help. Rest assured I'm not going that far north in April. I did finally get to the UP this year and need to go back on bike!
  19. 413Sean

413Sean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This guy is making some SERIOUS tracks around the sunshine state! Go dawgy GO!! :clap
  20. neanderthaler

neanderthaler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Made it home already. Stopped the BBG clock at the 4th of 5 stops INCLUDING in AND out of the Keys all the way to Key West!!! That really surprised the stuff out of me. Didn't realize that I should be going for it until I was 3/5 of the way done. That left me with 8 hours to do the remaining 320 miles, if I needed it. I did use up a couple hours of the time dilly dallying on the way south from the Jacksonville area after the BBG. I completed the Lap of Florida Gold with 1861 miles in exactly 29hrs0min. What a cool ride. All of the stops are beach zones, so really time consuming getting in and out. Getting paperwork ready for submittal. Thanks for watching
    1oldsickle, Patch, AwDang and 10 others like this.