Iron Butt Adventures

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Rollin', Nov 15, 2016.

1. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    New England closed out in the last days of June and New York was late July or early August.
    Both of these were closed in the 1st 2 weeks of April last year. Weird.

I know thats not quite pure data but at least it cost you nothing :lol3

By limiting trophy wins for each rider, it does make for more states to be available to more riders to win one but I really don't get the point of the trophies. Being 1st (2nd or 3rd) to a fixed set of locations that are valid for 7 whole months seems silly to me. The ToH certainly can mean different things to different riders, but I don't believe it was ever designed to be a race. Thats simply just my opinion. And yes, I have 4 trophies on my desk. And I'm already looking forward to next April 1st!
    :ricky
  2. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    I wonder how much the crappy weather in April and May factored in.
  3. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd bet quite a bit! Plus, Presque Isle, ME is a long damn way to nowhere :D
    Boondoggle likes this.
  4. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    I know in California it definitely played a big part. Normally California goes the first couple of days, and no longer than four. This year it was over a month, or at least a couple of weeks. Because of the snow in the mountain passes, I didn't even attempt to get up there until much later in the year (July). Next year, however, the majority of the sites should be in central or southern California. That will be a whole different ball game.

BTW, so far, my favorite, and most moving site, has been the Living Memorial Sculpture Garden just outside of Weed, CA. If you are traveling through NorCal, you need to see this place.

jdg
    Traxx and neanderthaler like this.
  5. neanderthaler

neanderthaler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now I really want to go to Preque Isle , ME.

Where’s the Void reports, fellas? Edit: went upstairs to the Rally thread. Good job everyone. 1oldsickle, hope you made it home before it got too cold. I nearly froze in the 67deg arctic of N FL yesterday : )
  6. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well .. Persque Isle is technically on the way to (or from) Madawaska so you'll get there with a 4-corners ride :evil

And yeah ... there was some chilly weather out there, but I super lucked out. Just a few miles of rain and no temps below 45 during the entire rally. It sure beat the low teens I rode to JAX in last March. :vardy
    1oldsickle, Traxx, 413Sean and 2 others like this.
  7. schrod

schrod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Presque Isle on April 1st.
    2019_150_ME4_0.jpg

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it was about 3 feet of snow, I walked out to get a better look (and picture) of the actual memorial and kept falling through the ice layer with the snow over my knees.

I thought it was pretty funny that the description had a warning about the gravel pull off.
  8. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember when you posted that :D Thinking wow, thats amazing and crazy and I can't believe it wasn't me!!

I have one New England 1st place ... around here you really gotta want it to get it.
    I thought the gravel warning was funny too, I just rode right up to the site. Heres how it looked at the end of June
    IMG_8245.JPG
  9. neanderthaler

neanderthaler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's that white stuff?
    413Sean and Bigbob1 like this.
  10. 413Sean

413Sean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a frozen form of precipitation known to fall in the northeast from late oct till april, causing PMS to us inhabitants, aka parked motorcycle syndrome
  11. kwthom

kwthom Retiree apprentice - willing to learn

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Um, no.

:cob
  12. LeMaitre

LeMaitre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    caribou-trail-snow-pavement-starts-101319.jpg

Sometimes we ignore it.

-Mark
  13. WYO George

WYO George Epstein didn’t kill himself

Oddometer:
    Yep, it sucks, but sometimes you gotta ignore it and get out there anyway. Just be really careful with the water crossings as they can be quite slippery!
    037.JPG
  14. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    And the salt on the bike.
  15. 1oldsickle

1oldsickle been over there awhile

Oddometer:
    Made it home yesterday , the WV mountains got a little chilly 33 degrees but it turned out to be a great ride as it warmed up later in the day. As far as the void goes , it was my first rally and I had a route planned that took me to kitty Hawk via Virgina beach .the morning sunrise was a thing of buity , coming up over the bay. The route I rode was no where close to a winning route but I have never been down to OBX. So away I went . There was a traffic jam on 64 which ate up quite a bit of time , but the main thing was I didn’t pull a DNF. Picture is Sunday morning at the WV MD border

Attached Files:

kendoo, Bigbob1, Patch and 10 others like this.
  16. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed

Oddometer:
    Great job just getting out here and doing your first one- hope it was everything you hoped for.

And even if it wasn’t, you got to hang out with Jim Owen for a few minutes- how many games/sports/whatever’s are there when you can show up and hang out with the best of the best?
    TheRoss, kendoo, Mwise12 and 7 others like this.
  17. WYO George

WYO George Epstein didn’t kill himself

Oddometer:
    No salt out here, just the occasional sand.
    LeMaitre and lakota like this.
  18. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Stick it in your ear.
  19. 1oldsickle

1oldsickle been over there awhile

Oddometer:
    It was everything and then some. Listening to the stories of the IBR participants blew me away. Those guys are incredible!! And the chance to listen to Jim Owen was the cherry on top.
    MizzouRider, 413Sean, kendoo and 6 others like this.
  20. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is one of the best parts! Such an inclusive, non-stuffy group and awesome to listen to the stories.

Glad you had a good time - and was great to meet you
    lakota and 1oldsickle like this.