Iron Butt Adventures

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Rollin', Nov 15, 2016.

1. oneodd1

oneodd1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could you attach that PDF here by chance?
  2. kwthom

kwthom Retiree apprentice - willing to learn

Oddometer:
    System won't let me...let me try something else!
    oneodd1 likes this.
  3. kwthom

Oddometer:
    Let me do it as an image...or two

Capture_A.PNG

Lines deleted...

Capture_B.PNG
    Rollin' and oneodd1 like this.
  4. oneodd1

oneodd1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! So how do you typically approach this data? Do you contemplate each hour after it passes or plan for each type of hour based on route planning and mapping or something else?

My one attempt which I still need to submit was just "get on and go. Don't stop more then necessary." That seemed to work for the K ride but going for longer certs I think I'll need to be more prepared.
    Traxx likes this.
  5. oneodd1

oneodd1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone done the ALL COUNTY ride in the US or considered it?
  6. kwthom

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's been done...once.

Bob Higdon, Esq. did this in slightly over five years. At the time, it was 3069 counties in the lower 48 and the mileage was over 150,000. I think if you check the list today, there's two more added to that.

You would definitely do a ride like this in conjunction with other rides.

@oneodd1 No, this is for explaining to those that are fairly new to this why things work well without the interminable delays that can happen at fuel stops. I didn't post the chart that I plotted that data with that showed the differences.

After doing a few of these rides, planning can become less arduous. I know that I can only go 180-200 miles on a tank, and still have a little in reserve. So, I know that takes a bit more than 2.5 hours before I have to get gas at my pace. Slightly over five hours into the ride, I do it again, etc. Do *that* five hour block three times, and you're right close to a BBG-pace for a SS1000. Now, it's okay to drop a 20 minute stop in there once or even twice in a SS day. Your overall pace - starting from hour one - is what makes the ride a success.

For giggles, I took that hour and extrapolated it into a 1500+ mile ride. It turned out to be very similar in duration to my first BBG I did years ago.

In order to average right close to 70MPH...it takes a wee bit more than that to do so.
    neanderthal, Traxx, LeMaitre and 3 others like this.
  7. LeMaitre

LeMaitre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kwthom started this discussion so that new riders will have a better understanding of how stops affect at ride. The data below I have posted on the IBA forum. It is a comparison of the planned MN SS1K ride and what actually happened.

This report is a study of numbers. How well did reality compare to the planned numbers, what the GPS said and what the bike said.

Spread Sheet

Total Miles: 1050

Average Speed: 55.6 mph

Stops 8 (Including start receipt)

Total time: 18:53:30

GPS: Garmin nuvi65LM

Trip A: 1058

Max Speed: 77 mph

Moving Avg: 60 mph

Overall Avg: 58 mph

Moving time: 17:36

Total time: 18:14

Receipts

Total: 9 (Start, Stop, all gas stops, 2nd stop for corner receipt)

Start Time: 06:55:08 PM 09/23/2019

End Time: 02:05:48 PM 09/24/2019

Total Time: 19:10:40

Bike:

Start: 93828.0

End: 94895.5

Total: 1070.5

Avg Speed: 55.6 mph Including stops

The quick analysis is that the actual ride took 17 minutes longer than the planned ride. Of that 17 minutes most was occupied by having to get a corner receipt at a second location due to no receipt being printed. (8 minutes round trip extra mileage plus buying a danish 7 minutes)

In the spreadsheet each stop was given 10 minutes. Travel time was based on posted speed limits.

If someone is interested the actual spreadsheet send me a PM and I will figure out how to send it to you as an attachment.

-Mark
    Traxx and kwthom like this.
  8. varnerju

varnerju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have enjoyed nerding out on the numbers. Planning what it takes, then comparing the plan to the GPS actual data and so forth. When I was planning for a bigger ride, I remember reading the "go slower to get better mileage and reduce stops" theory. I don't think I ever saw it spelled out with spreadsheet data.

I was thinking of putting something together, but my Monday morning brain isn't functioning correctly yet. <More coffee needed>. But basically, something like if you go 5MPH slower, but that gets you 3MPG better.... You stop one less time, so that loss of 5 miles over the hour gets made up for by the eliminating one stop.

Then again, a lot of this is moot (for me at least) because my biology usually dictates my stops more than gas consumption. But like I said, I like to nerd out on the theories.
  9. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    :nod

The best laid plans for my distances covered and stops minimized are too often foiled by this single variable.
    lakota, Traxx, 413Sean and 4 others like this.
  10. kwthom

Oddometer:
    Again, hypothetical data only, but would be interesting to know that 70mph average is 35mpg, while 60mph average is 39mpg.

On my Goldwing, that's about what reality is.

Probably why there's a definite limit to aux fuel capacity as well!
    varnerju, LeMaitre and neanderthaler like this.
  11. varnerju

varnerju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So... Math, now that coffee has kicked in. Given the hypotheticals and making an assumption
    70MPH 35MPG (assuming 5gal tank) => 175 miles until refill, 2.5hrs, 5.7 fills per SS1K, 8.6 fills per BB1500
    60MPH 39MPG (assuming 5gal tank) => 195 miles until refill, 3.25hrs, 5.1 fills per SS1K, 7.7 fills per BB1500

Since you have to round up on fills per, you need to stop 6 times per SS1K so you don't save anything by slower and better gas mileage, but you cut out one stop on a BB1500. The flip side is that extra 3/4 hour between stops and the human element. Of course different aux tank size (should I have done it with the max 11 gal IBR metric) and different MPG differences, obviously your results may vary.

A fun exercise. I will have to look through my records and see about getting my own MPG, but it fluctuates wildly. Figure different ethanol content, different riding style, and heck, on a few of my LD rides, I have noted that I spilled gas while trying to multi task at the stop. But, thanks for the diversion.
    Traxx, LeMaitre and kwthom like this.
  12. kwthom

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Nice work!

Every rider has to find it - that perfect 'sweet spot' of range vs. distance traveled. A single 'day' of riding up to 1500 miles, the math is all pretty simple. Where math (or, riding *before* you ride by doing some 'what if' math) makes actually doing the ride a bit 'easier' is on those 'more-than-a-day' rides.

I plotted my whole 48 State ride, but the results I based on my SS2000 & 50CC rides done a couple of years earlier. The math really did match up reasonably good with the actual result. Like most rides, the time skew really takes a bit of thought...more thought than I really wanted to put into the effort. Calculating after the fact showed my 20+ hour riding day really helped out when it was done.

My initial simplistic version was solely for those reading along - and wondering why we keep telling people ride your own ride on your first SS1000. Matching speeds/fuel stops/bio stops/food with other riders is not necessarily a good plan for that first IB ride.
  13. Traxx

Traxx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Something that I like to do in planning for stops is add in 1 extra planned fuel stop. Then divide the miles up between the rest of them. It costs 10 min and gets you a little blood flow to the bottom half more often and shortens the time/distance between stops.
    neanderthal, varnerju and LeMaitre like this.
  14. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
    And that's the truth
  15. neanderthaler

neanderthaler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gonna head out, whenever I wake up, on a BBG. I’m thinking straight up the east coast to avoid some of this rain coming from the gulf. Not feeling so great. I was bitten by a dog this morning while at work (HVAC service) and finally stopped bleeding 11 hours later. I told the owner to tell his dog not to worry, MY shots are up to date! Keep an eye on me. Thanks

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=20c355db33cf5d2b9f
  16. 413Sean

413Sean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Number 34 was a success! Nice ride:clap
  17. neanderthaler

neanderthaler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Sean. It was a smooth ride with no drama. I was telling 1oldsickle that I was never one to listen to anything when I rode and only started during my last few rides on my RT. The Goldwing makes it so easy and streamlined that I really take advantage of it now. I'm sure you guys who have been listening to stuff for awhile already know this, but I just learned to be really selective to what goes into your ears when you are getting into the later hours of a ride. I somehow ended up tripping out to Hendrix - Voodoo Child and realized that I could not remember the last 20 miles or so. I guess the speaker being right up against your head and the darkness and all that comes with it, the hyper focusing to avoid deer, etc, was alarming. I stopped listening to that electronic trance type music for the same reason. It plays with the mind. I think I better stick with podcasts and lighter stuff. I'm a lightweight. One other note. Have you guys ever installed a new windscreen and thought, hmm, it's not THAT much better? I did and decided to put my stock screen back on. Lesson learned. F4 screen was reinstalled first thing this morning when I got home. Thanks for watching.
    1oldsickle, Patch, varnerju and 3 others like this.
  18. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?

Lol.

I installed a little air deflector screen on my bike and thought it made no difference on the short test ride (I wanted to hear the music better.) On the 5000 mile road trip I took two weeks later i deduced that it wasn't any quieter but it made a huge difference to the wind on my helmet.

With music I tend to play tunes/ playlists of songs I don't like too much so I dont get too into the music. I have a Rolling Stones playlist and an 80s pop playlist that tend to be my go- tos when i'm starting to fade mentally; just upbeat enough to keep me alert, but not too enthralling to lose me in the music. Oh, and the best of The Cure.

If I listen to R&B, Bob Marley, James Brown, Aretha, hip hop, etc i'll end up getting militant on the bike.
  19. WYO George

WYO George Epstein didn’t kill himself

Oddometer:
    I absolutely have to keep it in check when riding and listening. I will find myself running triple digits for miles on end if I click the wrong playlist of pandora channel.

Sometimes I even do it on purpose...
  20. kwthom

Oddometer:
    I've got a trip out that way two weeks later - in the cage.

Unless a minor miracle happens... :pope
    1oldsickle and neanderthaler like this.