Iron Butt Adventures

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Rollin', Nov 15, 2016.

1. 413Sean

413Sean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm still using a plug style one that goes into the dash. But how about one of these? It's not totally wireless per say, but doesnt require the cig plug, just cord from phone to the charger. You can charge the wireless charger at night when ya get to a hotel 15735055246777751652778917810208.jpg 15735055558837739628516498379104.jpg
  2. kwthom

kwthom Retiree apprentice - willing to learn

Oddometer:
    Depends on the case you have on the phone, doesn't it?
  3. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh I see...ya I suppose there are probably cases that are thick enough to have the phone far away from the puck such that it wouldn't charge. The phones I use are waterproof, so they just have pretty thin protective covers that don't seem to present a problem.

If anyone is curious, all of the Galaxy Sx phones back to the S6 are waterproof. My personal fave for new adopters is the S7 active, as it is a bit ruggedized, waterproof, and relatively inexpensive (relative to buying the newest stuff). At the moment I'm running a Note9 and an S9. You would want to go wireless though for sure, because if any of these are plugged in and it starts raining you get a message about how the phone has detected moisture and the charging cuts out.
    Traxx likes this.
  4. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Rok form cases with magnets don’t work. But about any other thin non metallic case I have tried have worked. iPhone XS.
    Zubb likes this.
  5. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Fine lines are usually very long.

:hide
    Traxx likes this.
  6. 1oldsickle

1oldsickle been over there awhile

Oddometer:
    That grip looks like a great product . I hardly ever go off road ,so it might be a little bit of overkill.
    This sounds like the ticket , thin disc wireless puck. (And 12$ ) do you recall what brand? I like the fact of 70k real world use . Sometimes I’m a little skeptical on low price items but the proof is in the pudding.
    I will pick one of these up as well. I’m always needing more usb plug ins and this will eliminate my cigarette plug to usb

Thanks for all the input
    Bill
    Bigbob1, Traxx and kwthom like this.
  7. 1oldsickle

Oddometer:
    Yes I do use one of those aux battery’s I have it plugged into my sena after about 6-8 hrs on the road. My problem with the plug to cigarette is it will vibrate out after awhile. Yes I know you BMW and Honda guys don’t know what that is . Lol Thanks
  8. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did his one. The added voltmeter is a nice bonus.
    Ditching the cig-usb adapter is the best option. Between your vibes and the spring tension of the terminals I totally get the loss of power. Going to a hard wired USB will stop that
    1oldsickle, kwthom and Traxx like this.
  9. kwthom

Oddometer:
    :nod

Yep, even had that happen on my Honda (loss of power due to spring tension failure...)
    Traxx and 1oldsickle like this.
  10. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    I used a ram ball mounted X grip for years of road riding. Never had a problem.... until I did. I lost a $1000 phone off the bike at about 70mph. It's possible that the tension was just getting weaker with age, but it seemed plenty strong enough (I was wrong). Then a couple months later I lost the repaired phone doing light duty off road riding on my GS at low speed, and then again a month later at higher speed.
    All because I didn't want to spend the money on the Hondo unit. Pretty stupid of me. So I bought the Hondo unit. It is bombproof as has been tested through at least a dozen off road riding crashes. Your phone is safe if you use the Hondo.
    I bought a $13 thin charging pad and double back taped it to my Hondo and LOVED this setup. Yes it pushed the phone out about 3/16" inch, but the 'arms' still had plenty of grip on the phone in a slim case and charged perfectly. Sadly, the charger only lasted about 9 months and croaked. So I'm ordering another. I REALLY like how Hondo has set the charging disc into the plate but don't see myself spending $180 for that.
    1oldsickle and Traxx like this.
  11. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    You’ve got me concerned now. Did you have the rubber band lanyard on the x-grip?
    Bigbob1 and Traxx like this.
  12. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    No. I couldn't stand all the fiddling it took to put it on and off at each stop. Because I grab the phone off the bike a LOT to snap pics. I find it takes a hundred pics to get a dozen or so keepers that really show the spirit and essence of a trip. So quick easy access to getting the phone off and on the bike is essential. Otherwise you just become "that guy" that holds up the group every time they stop.
    The Hondo with a charging disc is about as good as it gets.
  13. 1oldsickle

Oddometer:
    Good food for thought ( loosing 1k phones) I take it the Hondo is fairly easy to get in and out of the cradle. I as well like to take photos, so this is kind of important .
    Zubb and Traxx like this.
  14. kwthom

Oddometer:
  15. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    kwthom likes this.
  16. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would love to do this ride, but i can't devote a week to a cross country during that time frame. Would be ideal to burn a 50cc from east to west, then ride the Rendezvous at a slower pace back east. But not with the Minnesota 2020 and BLX. Vaca time for next year is already used up and its not even Dec yet! :lol3

I'll meet up with the riders (if any?) for the dinner in Buffalo on May 29.
    lakota likes this.
  17. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winter stuff happening ...
    - rear rack 'finally' purchased. After 140k without one I think I finally know I want one :lol3
    - hippo hands ... gotta keep the digits. I'm not that old, but arthritis setting in badly and cold (even with awesome heat) does hurt
    - email to Maple Farkles for a full aux set-up ... not sure yet if the checkbook can handle this one though :hmmmmm
  18. kwthom

Oddometer:
    The slow-paced version does seem to be the more enjoyable ride - to at least see and maybe feel a little bit about George's ride.

I've read over a lot of that Wyman web page...and there's just so much of what we do on bikes that is easily traced back to how George did his ride 100 years ago.
  19. neanderthaler

neanderthaler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m gonna be in San Francisco for Thanksgiving & I’m hoping to go to Lotta’s Fountain. It’s the place where George Wyman started his ride. I hate being the guy who tries to sell his kids Girl Scout cookies at the office, but... the Wyman Memorial Project could always use a couple bucks donation to put up the memorial markers and remind people of the history of the ride. Besides that, you receive some really cool swag for donating.
  20. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
    I have the Hondo on both my bikes. It is clumsy at first but as you get familiar with it the on and off gets easier.
    Bigbob1 and 1oldsickle like this.