Iron Butt Adventures

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Rollin', Nov 15, 2016.

1. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    My first bike wasn’t really a bike, but I was definitely hooked from the word go!

92BC0DC4-38B8-45B4-A484-987D2D147FE2.jpeg
    Prior to that I was a faithful passenger with my parents on my dad’s ‘78 CB400TII. He carried us all over on that bike pulling a trailer for the dogs and on occasion he’d pull a boat trailer with our 14ft aluminum boat on it! I always insist that my mental instability was developed honestly!
    E29A8C5F-5348-4E2A-A9E4-FA46B431C2E2.png
  2. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No pics but if we are counting the 3 wheelers. Then my first was a wore out 200s with no brakes or working clutch. I learned a lot with that old POS. Wish I had one now.
  3. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    My first bike was a Kawasaki 90, must have been a late 60s model. Had a high pipe and knobbies, but a low front fender. My dad let me get it because it was two weeks before my Sr year in HS, and he was getting transferred to Dallas. It did make me happy. I moved up to a 175 shortly after that. I wanted to be a dirt rider. Sure beat the crap out of both of those bikes. I sold them when I got married. Didn’t get another bike for twenty some years. Until my youngest got his drivers license. Married 43 years, she still hates bikes. I’ve been on pedal bikes for the last several weeks. Trying to turn back the clock. I have had the GS and the CTX out recently. Going to visit some Tour of Honor sites next week. I think our stay at home orders are lifting. (Combined about five subjects into one message..)
  4. kwthom

kwthom NOT CV-19 infected! >:0

Oddometer:
    Rollin' and Traxx like this.
  5. 1oldsickle

1oldsickle been over there awhile

Oddometer:
    7CF5AF6E-2A5C-40B0-A9B0-A04F75F77773.jpeg 7DC2F8B4-2D87-483C-AC6E-A55F85DCCA8E.jpeg I will play , My obsession started in the spring of 1976 when dad and I went to a department store and got this steed in the pictures . It was a Sachs 50cc It didn’t take long till I pulled the baffle out . You know load pipes save lives or make you hard of hearing like I am now. That little 50cc did a many laps around my grandparents house. Till they got tired of the noise I think . Then out to the country I ventured ,at first grandma would shadow me. Then it was time to go solo. I spent many days ripping up country roads ,cow pastures, etc. I think this is were the seed got planted , how I loved just getting out and ridding, and still do.
    varnerju, MizzouRider, terham and 5 others like this.
  6. sleazy rider

sleazy rider Green thumbed fool

Oddometer:
    1978, stationed in Fort Walton Beach, Florida at Eglin AFB, ~20 years old as an Airman 1st Class. I had purchased a 1977 Honda CJ360T from a co-worker as my first truly decent road bike that spring at the exorbitant price of $700. :lol3 My dad was sent to some sort of training class in Atlanta by AT&T, so I had the brilliant idea of going up to visit him while taking a few days of military leave. Even better, my mom flew down for the same weekend. It was a whopping 300 mile ride on that little streetbike and my tush took a serious beating. Who knew of custom seats, saddlebags or any of that sweet stuff? I strapped a dufflebag across the passenger seat and went. Mom and I went to the Atlanta International Raceway for our one and only NASCAR/IROC race and had a great time.

Rode back to the base the following Monday and never looked back on riding two wheels somewhere. I was hooked.
  7. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Well that sucks
  8. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It do....It do.....
  9. kwthom

Oddometer:
    I don't necessarily read it that way...
    Rollin' and Luckycharms like this.
  10. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Not sure how to read it other than we’re bot certifying rides completed in April and May
  11. kwthom

Oddometer:
  12. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    I understand it to say that you can ride if you want, but if you’re working on something that requires Xxxx done per month or per year then you can skip April and May without penalty and make them up at the end.
    JeepDawg, kwthom, Versatek6 and 2 others like this.
  13. varnerju

varnerju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Me too. Basically they are lifting the requirements for long term goals, but more standard ride submissions will be handled as normal.

Then again, that does seem opposite of what I remember reading in the initial release that they eluded to in the "We understand no one wants to be told what to do . . ." Statement. They say that hasn't changed, which I thought I remembered saying "no rides will be certified at this time". I can't find that particular statement right now, but if I think through it enough, maybe it just said they discourage you from riding and laid out some good points. Then the statements in that linked forum seem to say they aren't going to disqualify any rides because it would take too much effort to follow status of the area and whatnot. THAT also makes a lot of sense. But then the Website doesn't list any rides available right now either.
    https://ironbutt.org/rides/
    Traxx likes this.
  14. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    PSA for those who use an InReach ... and have an older Delorme unit (like me) - check your e-mail.

Jason (SpotWalla) Jonas emailed InReach users last night to a needed update to older InReach units. I'm no tech guy, but basically the KML feed from the Inreach went through a Delorme URL and now those have switched over to garmin URLs, so the Delorme one is no longer supported. I just needed to update my KML feed URL address from Garmin Explore on my 'device' page in SpotWalla.

Its pretty simple to do, took 2 minutes, and Jason linked a help page to walk through the process. I tested it and I have normal map tracking and all is good. I don't think it would be a required change for Garmin units, as I'm sure they already had a Garmin URL, but as he didn't specify, I'd suggest checking just to be safe.

Again, this was only InReach units.
    Traxx likes this.
  15. kwthom

Oddometer:
  16. varnerju

varnerju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I knew it must still be there, just not readily navigable, and despite my computer-awareness... I didn't know how to crawl for it. Thanks for the link, now I can at least browse and come up with great/bad ideas for future rides again!!
  17. kwthom

Oddometer:
    A short 270 mile ride this morning... :ricky

I'm ready.
    Zlock, neanderthaler, AwDang and 5 others like this.
  18. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    It has become too difficult and expensive to leave the house for any length of time so I have excepted that I won't be going on anymore long trips so I bought a different bike for close to home rides. Long story on why I picked this bike. Still have the DL but will be selling it.
    Could the new bike do long trips? Sure, but with 114 cubic inches (1868 cc's) and a 3.6 gallon fuel tank there might be a lot of fuel stops. :lol3
    Glad I did the long rides when I did!
    This will be fun!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    wvJwaii, Manny U, siyeh and 14 others like this.
  19. 413Sean

413Sean Long timer

Oddometer:
    One door closes and another door opens. Bummer to hear about your touring career Rollin. That new HD sure is nice looking, and its gotta be a torquey sob to ride!! Congrats on the new bike purchase, and keep us informed on its performance!
    Traxx, LeMaitre and Rollin' like this.
  20. neanderthaler

neanderthaler Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a sweet ride, Rollin! I really dig it. At some point, I’m sure I will also own an HD. Super cool
    Traxx, Rollin' and 413Sean like this.