Iron Butt Adventures

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Rollin', Nov 15, 2016.

1. kwthom

kwthom NOT CV-19 infected! >:0

Oddometer:
    Rollin' likes this.
  2. Zlock

Zlock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a feeling that the Fat Bob will earn an IBA plate backer. Congratulations, it a bad motor scooter.

I also have a feeling that a guy on a Gold Wing would be considered "nonessential" and be issued the corresponding paperwork.
  3. neanderthaler

neanderthaler Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guys, last night my wife kicked me out while she had some friends over at a social distance. Since being social is not my thing, I figured that I would ride for a few hours. I'm sure a lot of us feel that is ok during these times and a lot of us don't, but... I did. Well, a few hours felt so good and I didn't have anywhere to be until this morning, so I just kept going. Made it 1021 miles. Didn't run SPOT, because I wasn't really going anywhere, but out of habit, I kept receipts with mileage. I really don't have any intention of turning them in for certification, but since I always say that I don't believe anyone's grandiose stories without proof, I saved mine, lol. I didn't set a route, because I didn't have plans and wore Levis instead of AD-1's (I did have the sense to wear all of the rest of the gear). Overnight riding practice never hurts and nothing energizes like riding thru sunrise. Got down to 58deg for awhile, but wasn't too bad for this thin blooded Floridiot. Saw nothing related to panic or fear on anyone's part, anywhere. One guy held a door for me with his elbow, so there was that. I said before, rest area bathrooms have never been cleaner! I guess your politics will decide how soon you're gonna ride, but don't let fear keep you off the bike. There were no federal hazmat teams suited up quarantining anyone, no drones checking temperatures, no closed off stores/stops/gas stations, etc. Just a normal ride with a little less traffic and cheaper gas. Wish I could've stayed out longer. Here's my google link, for what it's worth. 1724, 8 May - 0747, 9 May

https://goo.gl/maps/2hT6fLCR5zQQqec69

Edit: Just read your link, KWThom. I guess that would be an issue. Didn't really think about that. Upon further consideration - better not rush out to ride and risk fines and/or jail (and of course risking unknowingly infecting someone). Sorry
    dharmadan, Manny U, kendoo and 12 others like this.
  4. kwthom

Oddometer:
    Yeah...I really was considering something very close to what you did - and I'm hopeful I only have another week-ish to wait it out.

Quite a challenge to have to keep an eye open in more than one jurisdiction for the sign that it's okay to go.

Glad you had a fun little get-away!
  5. Rexsname

Rexsname Wannabe Long distance Rider

Oddometer:
    I got an E-mail today letting me know that my package is on the way. Two months and one day from when I sent it in.
    REX
    Patch, varnerju, kwthom and 9 others like this.
  6. Rexsname

Oddometer:
    Mail call! I just got my wonderful envelope full of cool stuff. Arizona in-state SS1000 and Mile Eater.
    REX
    Patch, 413Sean, Bigbob1 and 7 others like this.
  7. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thats great.
    Now pix or it didn't happen.
  8. Rexsname

Oddometer:
    I know how to post pictures onto the various facebook pages from my phone but sadly, I'm a complete retard when it come to the computer.
    REX
    Traxx likes this.
  9. 1oldsickle

1oldsickle been over there awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like we’re in good company 420 Sean and I have had many discussions on our computer savvy . I’m lucky to turn one on .
    413Sean and Traxx like this.
  10. kwthom

Oddometer:
    Never turn it off solved that problem... :lol3
    varnerju, 1oldsickle and Traxx like this.
  11. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the many not on Facebook ... and following Tim's 50CC ride on the Janus - you may not have heard what happened.

Tim appeared to have had a single vehicle accident in Louisiana yesterday and is being treated for his injuries. Our good man on the road @travelman is with him and he noted Tim is in good spirits. He did sustain some injuries but will be fine after some recovery time. Just wanted to let you know ... he's OK, he's not alone, and thats whats important.

Prayers to him and his family
  12. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Heal up Tim!
    This is a good report of a yuck situation :beer:
    And good on Greg for having ridden along.
  13. kwthom

Oddometer:
    Thanks for passing this along.
  14. 413Sean

413Sean Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hoping for a speed recovery for Tim. His interview on longriders radio was spectacular about the Janus build. Cheers to travelman for being with him
    Traxx, bandres27 and 1oldsickle like this.
  15. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tim? Is he on here.
    Yep I am one of the farce book free folks.
  16. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tim is not on here. But he is home, recovering nicely and I'm sure we'll get an update on his healing as well as the Janus in his next blog entry.
    AwDang likes this.
  17. 1oldsickle

1oldsickle been over there awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear Tim is doing well!! Never had the pleasure to meet him but I’ve read his blog. Great info. A little example of when your wife gets your insanity. We just burned up 900 miles and checked into the hotel after settling in she turns to me . Are you going to go on and do the extra 100. Miles, as she does the crazy finger twirl around the head. You got to love enablers. So needless to say I said see you in a few:wave
  18. Versatek6

Versatek6 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I did it. I registered for my first SaddleSore - the MS1000. The plan is to go this Saturday, May 30, which is forecast to be a lovely day, between 50*F and 70*F, some clouds and no rain. Going with a friend, I'll have some company for the day.

Work and family time, weather, and COVID-19 restrictions have limited my prep rides; the most I've been able to commit to has been a few 200-mile days. Minnesota hasn't had the strict travel restrictions other areas have (or had) in place - leisure travel was exempted, with the request to stay near home. Stay-at-home was lifted on 5/18.

I am planning on taking the '07 FJR, but last time out I was getting some pain in the hip joints. If it continues, I may want to switch over to the '03 V-Strom. I'll have to decide by Friday, won't I.

Thanks to all the contributors here for the tips, tricks, great stories and overall education. I'll let you know how it comes out! If I'm brave, I might post my tracking link...
  19. kwthom

Oddometer:
    Only two things I request...

1) Enjoy the day. If it turns into crap for you -or- your friend, bail out and make another attempt at doing it. There's no harm in learning something from an incomplete ride to make the next one be a success...

2) Since you mentioned it, you *must* provide your tracking. :deal

Nothing like knowing in the back of your head there could be as many as a dozen or more inmates who may actually be riding vicariously thru YOUR ride. :nod

:lol3
  20. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    Someone posted in FB about the current "new" pricing for the SPOT tracker of $11.95/mo when paid yearly. Since mine was up for renewal (yesterday), I called them and asked for the new price, which of course they wouldn't give me until I told them to cancel my service. The next guy was able to do me one better. COVID-19 special price of $99/year, plus GEOS Rescue. Total was $116 - saved a cool $100 over the renewal price.

jdg
    MizzouRider, kwthom, Rollin' and 2 others like this.