Iron Butt Adventures

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Rollin', Nov 15, 2016.

1. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Traxx likes this.
  2. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Betty got a big sister

48E6132D-5C15-486A-807C-64CDA79A657F.jpeg
    Patch, Rollin', 1oldsickle and 3 others like this.
  3. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Any recommendations for an LD friendly hotel in Van Horn and Beaumont?
    Traxx likes this.
  4. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Hotel Capitan in Van Horn is great. They have a restaurant, too. If you're just looking for a clean rack for the night, the Holiday Inn Express is good.

Mike
    AwDang and Traxx like this.
  5. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    thanks!
    Being in the hospitality industry, I try to avoid the chains when possible. It’s a bonus to find a mom-n-pop thats LD friendly.
    Traxx likes this.
  6. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    I understand your preference so I’ll be watching this as well. My last couple of mom-n-pop places I used in West Texas were, shall we stay, less than stellar experiences.

jdg
    Madman4049, AwDang and Traxx like this.
  7. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    NH seacoast, the Hampton Village Inn on US1 in Hampton is pretty good. Basic, but has pool, Jacuzzi, covered parking, and easy access to the highway for an IB ride, or secondary roads for a local ride. If you're on a HD, Seacoast is a couple miles up the road.
  8. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you do the 49 State ride stop at the Boundary Gift Shop in Hyder, Alaska and ask Caroline if she will sign your witness form. You can also get your end receipt there.
    Caroline signed my form and she told me that she was the person that signed the the form for the first person to do the 49 state ride and that would have been the Ron Ayres ride.
    The Boundary Gift shop is the first business as you ride into Hyder.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2up ADV, kwthom, varnerju and 6 others like this.
  9. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    I don’t see access to Canada happening anytime soon :(
    Traxx likes this.
  10. kwthom

kwthom NOT CV-19 infected; 3x tested!! >:0

Oddometer:
    Way back when I did my 50CC, I stayed at the Super 8, since it was right next to the Exxon station, and it was inexpensive.

It sucked, but after being awake for nearly 24 hours, it didn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Not like anybody will be riding up that way between now and June or July...
    varnerju, sleazy rider and Traxx like this.
  11. varnerju

varnerju Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I chose Desert Inn for my 50CC. LD friendly? Guess that depends on what you mean by that, but I rolled in just after midnight local time, rather ragged from a full 23hrs on the road and it was an easy quick check-in. Bike parked feet from room door, easy to check chain, and oil and all that. Plus, the 6AM train guaranteed I wouldn't oversleep my alarm to get back on the road to complete the 50CC. Checkout was simple. No fancy breakfast nor amenities, but the price was nice and the beds were comfy. That fits my definition of LD friendly.
    AZbiker, Rollin', kwthom and 3 others like this.
  12. ADV890R

ADV890R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While I'm suitably impressed that anyone can stay awake and in the saddle long enough to do 1,000mi or more, that's never been of any interest to me. In the times when I've done 1,300mi or so in a car solo it was because I HAD to be somewhere. On the sportbike, I've done 700-800 mile days on occasion, but most of that was twisty roads, with just the superslabs to get me there. And once the sun goes down, for the most part, at the speeds I typically ride on the sportbike, it's time to park for the night. Plus all the major critters that come out at night here in the West. I refer to ride in the daytime and to enjoy the twisties and/or the scenery. To ride a long distance just to do the distance and say I did it, it's just not for me.

Best wishes and best of luck to those who do, may you stay shiny side up!
    Traxx likes this.
  13. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    It’s certainly not for everyone. Ride safe, have fun!
    413Sean, ADV890R, varnerju and 3 others like this.
  14. varnerju

varnerju Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Certainly not for everyone, it truly is a unique defective gene a lot of us have. But comparing the saddle time to cage time is deceptively different. I found it much harder to stay focused in the cage for that period of time/distance than I do when I am in the saddle and knees in the breeze.
    413Sean, ADV890R, kwthom and 4 others like this.
  15. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    700-800 days on that RR is pretty damn impressive!
    ADV890R and Traxx like this.
  16. Luckycharms

Luckycharms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This right here. When we go on vacation I'm always the one to drive. In the cage I can get tired and sleepy after an 8-10 hour day on the road. But I've never felt tired on a rally and had no problem doing 6300 miles in 6 days during Buttlite 9. Definitely not a good comparison.
    413Sean, AZbiker, ADV890R and 3 others like this.
  17. ADV890R

ADV890R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haven't done that many miles on the 'RR...yet..., but I did on my '01 Gixxer 1000 on some of my rides. One memorable time I went from Green River UT down the back way into Moab (128), then did the Moki Dugway, then Monument Valley, then thru Page and past the Vermillion Cliffs over the Navajo Bridge, then thru the Kaibab forest, then up into Kanab and thru Zion, before stopping for the night in St. George. I seem to remember that being about 700mi. IMG_0052.JPG
    413Sean, varnerju, AZbiker and 2 others like this.
  18. ADV890R

ADV890R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    6,300mi in 6 days, man, that's awesome! As I've gotten older, I've decided to limit my miles to maybe 500/day. At least on my sportbikes, that involved as many twisties as I could string together, so, you're pretty beat after that. I'm tired of getting to the hotels AFTER the hot tub closes! From now on I want to have time to get a nice meal, not roll in at 10-11 and eat a granola bar. I'm wondering what a good but comfortable day on the 890 R will be with lots of dirt? I guess time will tell. I have to get it first!
    Traxx likes this.
  19. kwthom

kwthom NOT CV-19 infected; 3x tested!! >:0

Oddometer:
    Ahhh...

I see you've met our friend, Adrenaline. :lol3
    Traxx likes this.
  20. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or the lovely ETA counting down to an uncomfortable window that flirts dangerously with a DNF at the checkpoint :lol3
    Traxx likes this.