Iron Butt Adventures

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Rollin', Nov 15, 2016.

1. DutchVDub

DutchVDub Adventurous Pirate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not my longest day by any stretch, but my wife’s by a good 150-200 miles. Although until this summer she was also on a Scout Sixty so…
  2. mrb867

mrb867 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Completed another Ride Around Virginia Birthday Edition for my son who turned 25 today. 1023.1 miles. And 2 hours of traffic south of Alexandria due to paving overnight. Screenshot_20210724-214939_Chrome.jpg 20210724_014950.jpg 1627175275273.jpg
    Boondoggle, ejm4, 413Sean and 10 others like this.
  3. kwthom

kwthom Fully inoculated!

Oddometer:
    True.

Did a couple of ~750 mile days on our recently-concluded trek. The day that it was ~92 degrees and clear for most of the day was quite a bit harder than the one two weeks later and no higher than 84 degrees.

Of course, heading in the direction of home certainly helped a bit... :ricky
  4. DutchVDub

DutchVDub Adventurous Pirate Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it wasn't for all of the sight seeing and sleeping? LOL

Attached Files:

1oldsickle, Rollin', ejm4 and 4 others like this.
  5. kwthom

kwthom Fully inoculated!

Oddometer:
    The remaining states/loops have been basically plotted to complete the Nat'l Parks Tour we started a bit ago. A couple of these loops can be started/ended at home, which'll be nice. The other loops plotted will require an overnight stop to be efficient in stamp collecting.

It may need to wait until September, however. The rain around these parts has been pretty spectacular this season - over 9" so far:

[​IMG]
  6. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did a ~650 mile day on Tuesday. Left hotel at 7:15 am rolled into my house at 6:30 at night. I could have easily gone a few more hours, pretty confident that I could do the 1000 miles. The only thing that slowed me down was a fairly vigorous thunderstorm that I was in for about 100 miles or so. The bike did great, but once the cars slowed down I got soaked, but not too cold.
    kwthom, 1oldsickle, varnerju and 3 others like this.
  7. JustinP

JustinP Bike Curious

Oddometer:
    Copy and Paste from FaceBook. HW3 is on!

FYI Folks - Registration for the HW3 2022 - "Liberty and Justice" rally is open on Ride Master. The event runs from Friday, May 27th through Sunday, May 29th, 2022. Registration is filling quick and is limited to 50 bikes initially. We may be able to increase that if we fill the host hotel room allocation early.

The hotel situation for 2022 is a bit crazy, especially for Memorial Day weekend. Hotels will be full before the New Year. We ask that all riders make their hotel reservations ASAP so we can fill our hotel block and hopefully get additional rooms. There is no penalty for cancellations before the cut off. Also, we also ask that folks share rooms with friends.

Looking forward to seeing everyone is 2022! Registration link is here:

https://rides.jasonjonas.com/regRequest.php?id=792

https://hw3rally.com/
    Boondoggle, Patch, 1oldsickle and 5 others like this.
  8. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    I can't do Memorial Day weekend. :(
    JustinP likes this.
  9. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    I've been on the road for the past month, more or less. First was the trip to the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association reunion in Charlotte, NC, with a stop in Chattanooga to visit some friends, and then a quick trip to Morgantown, WV to visit the luthier who built my latest guitar (Andrew White Guitars).

Got back to Los Angeles in time to hit up the Van Gogh experience, wash the clothes and then do the West Coast 66 Rally.

I didn't do all that well on the rally as my decision to run up CA-1 was probably not the best. Great ride, but way slower than I had expected due to a lot of construction (single lane) and a couple of accidents.

Got back home Monday at 4pm and then went to a Joe Bonamassa concert at 6pm. Classes started on Tuesday. Just about recovered now. Fortunately the bike ran flawlessly (as expected), but I lost the left speaker in the helmet, so a lot of Old Time Radio in mono rather than half a stereo signal. Pulled it apart today and it was the speakers, not any of the other wiring. Easy fix and I had a spare set of helmet speakers on hand.

upload_2021-8-28_15-6-19.png

Total of close to 9,000 miles. No IBA runs, but a lot of flower sniffing and some really nice roads.

jdg
  10. mrb867

mrb867 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Made a run to the Tail of the Dragon today. Unplanned. Just happened to be close by and made the call to go. Crowded to say the least. Screenshot_20210828-220307_Chrome.jpg 20210828_003031.jpg 20210828_212557.jpg 20210828_101850.jpg
    1oldsickle, 413Sean, Rollin' and 4 others like this.
  11. ejm4

ejm4 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

I follow one of Facebook pages for the area and at least from that it looks like a zoo almost every Friday thru Sunday.

I visited the other year early in the morning. Glad I went, but the surrounding roads were better in my opinion.
    Congrats on throwing down some miles !
    varnerju and mrb867 like this.
  12. kirk824

kirk824 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I finally did it, my first SS1000! Me and 2 of my other close friends decided to take on the challenge at the start of this years trip this past Sunday 8/22. The bikes at hand:
    [​IMG]
    Ktm 1190 adventure
    Suzuki Wee-strom
    Triumph Tiger 800xcx
    The route:
    upload_2021-8-31_14-19-39.png
    [​IMG]
    I kind of goofed on the route planning before I left, I had us stopping at a city that was about 20miles short of where I originally had us stopping. In the end it still worked out. Managed 1001 GPS miles and 1005 ODO miles.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see in the last picture we had to deal with rain/thunderstorms in South Dakota.
    1oldsickle, Patch, 413Sean and 4 others like this.
  13. kirk824

kirk824 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a questions for the experts. I'm putting together all the information for my SS1000. I've scanned all of my receipts, filled out the ride log, and have a map showing approximately where I stopped for fuel. Do I need to submit pictures of all of my receipts with the odometer or just the starting and finishing receipts?
    Rollin' likes this.
  14. schrod

schrod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Technically I believe you only need pictures with the odometer for the start and finishing receipts. You do need to include copies of all receipts. That being said, I usually include photos with the odometer for all receipts, additional documentation can't hurt.
    varnerju, LeMaitre and biglew55 like this.
  15. LeMaitre

LeMaitre Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also remember that the certification team does not trust your odometer or your GPS. They use google maps (or a similar service) to verify the distance traveled based on the addresses on the receipts. That is why corner receipts are so important.

-Mark
  16. schrod

schrod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected. Looks like that changed last year when they changed the witness requirements. Thanks.
    varnerju, JustinP and biglew55 like this.
  17. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Answered already - you MUST include all receipts as well as the photos of receipts w/ODO and your trip log. Map links and if you ran a tracker you can include that link as well.

Your mileage give me the heebie-jeebies ... 1001 GPS is rather sketchy.
    Before you submit, I'd use google maps and plot from DBR address to DBR address start to finish. If that comes up +1000 then you should be OK, but I'll bet its close.

And congrats on a great trip!
  18. kirk824

kirk824 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I may have shit the bed on this one. When I plug in the address it comes up to 999 miles. Fuck. Is it even worth sending in at this point?
  19. kirk824

kirk824 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, and why not, here's some more pictures from the trip!
    [​IMG]
    Buffalo Bill reservoir
    [​IMG]
    East entrance
    [​IMG]
    Lake Yellowstone
    [​IMG]
    Tetons
    [​IMG]
    I'm sure many of you can relate, there is nothing like being on the road on your motorcycle. No matter how miserable I am on the bike it's still better than being at work.
    413Sean, Patch, mikegc and 2 others like this.
  20. Don03st

Don03st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Truer words have not been said!