Ironbutt begins!!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jcolombo, Aug 28, 2001.

1. jcolombo

jcolombo Lurking Moderator

Oddometer:
    Looks like quite a few people decided to go the GS route this year... apparently there is some talk about lots of potential off road on the northern section.

Anybody know anyone on the run this year?

www.ironbutt.com

-JC
  2. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    Yeah, major GS contigent there and at least two Tigers. I ran into Gary Eagan last year on my ride to Alaska, where he pumped me full of hype about Ducati ST4's. He an his bud are both riding 'em in this year's event. Says he's put a half million miles on BMW's and they're too frickin' heavy. Gary seems to place high most of the time.

Hey Colonel, how come you don't do one of these?

There be some nice-lookin' machines this year:
  3. Baldy

Oddometer:
    Those gnarly Iron-Butt guys sure like yellow and Motolights, eh fish? :rofl
  4. Baldy

Oddometer:
    ...The Scotch tape and chewing gum version (note the yet-another-yellow GS in the background).
  5. Baldy

Oddometer:
    Even girlz ride GS's in the Iron Butt. Note to fish: think you got lights? Check out that RT.
  6. Baldy

Oddometer:
    Is it just me or...does it look like this guy's gonna lose stuff along the way?
  7. Baldy

Oddometer:
    HEY!! I wish I were an entrant this year because I'd go for the Prudhoe Bay 500,000 point bonus (and maybe the Denali 75,000). In years past, it was absurd to think you could go north on your way to other checkpoints, but this year's different.

You start in Alabama, 4600 miles by my calculation away from Prudhoe Bay, and you have 11 days to go 9200 miles. I think it can be done. They don't make you go to any other checkpoints. It'd be cold, but Gerbing and heated grips'd prolly do the trick. No?
  8. Baldy

Oddometer:
    Yet another Iron Butt GS:
  9. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Baldy,

Thanks for the Pics. Not only that, but the site http://www.wrenchwhore.com is pretty interesting as well - although cRAsH has a more slightly more spectacular bike/tree set on his site...

Marc
  10. jcolombo

jcolombo Lurking Moderator

Oddometer:
    According to the Ironbutt site, Eagan crashed 1 hour and 48 minutes into the event - a new world record!

Apparently he looked down at a map on his tankbag.... reason number 307 to start using a roadbook or Barpack!

-JC
  11. Baldy

Oddometer:
    Eerie.... When I spoke to Gary on that nippy morning near Banff in British Columbia, he noticed that I was riding a K1200RS and asked me what I thought of it. He went on to say one of his best friends died riding hers in the Ironbutt.

I asked if he was referring to Fran Crane.

"Yeah. Great rider. She and Mike Kneebone set the time record for riding the lower 48 states."

"How did she crash her K?"

"Apparently she wandered off the freeway when she looked down at her tank bag just after a fuel stop. She tried to recover and got back on the freeway but couldn't control it. Her Nolan helmet failed."

That's the way I remember the conversation, anyway.

And Colonel crashed as he was looking at his GPS...

Baldy
  12. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Riding is great. I identify with riding more than I do my religion and culture. But riding ain't worth dying for.

While I know there are some hardcore mileage monkeys on this forum, I just can't get into the endurance thing. I don't understand it. I ride because I enjoy it. When I stop enjoying it, I stop riding. Sometimes that's after 750 miles, or 50 miles, or for a weekend.

I guess it's a mix of the riding mentality and the marathon mentality that drives these guys, and more power to them if they get their rocks off doing it. But it ain't in me.

Fucke crashing. Nothing sucks worse.
    :jazzman
  13. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Baldy entered the IBR on his new adventure scoot!

[​IMG]
  14. Baldy

Oddometer:
    To reinforce fish's post about not being worth crashing, here's an interesting speech from hardcore ironbutter Gary Eagan:

Gary Eagan, whose rally came to an abrupt halt very early in the first leg when he cooked his duc, came forward at Kneebone's request to explain that the one thing you cannot be in a rally is STUPID. He help up his bandaged arm and hand to illustrate the point. "Repeat after me," he said to the riders. "I cannot be--what?" "Stupid!" some called back, along with some laughter. Eagan was not slightly amused. "No laughing!" he said. "This is SERIOUS! I cannot be WHAT? STUPID! Say it!" They all said it, and no one laughed this time. Eagan went on, channeling his anger at his own lapse of judgment (not to mention the resultant mandatory non-participation in the '03 IBR) into a lecture to the assembled riders, who quickly figured out Eagan was in no way, shape, or form kidding about any of this.

After the window closed Kneebone gathered the riders together and told them about the next leg. I doubt I'm revealing state secrets if I say the guys who went to Alaska on the first leg should have waited. They're likely to be headed south, thinking they have the rally in their hip pocket, only to pass a group of Big Dogs headed north in search of a single bonus worth more than the combined bonuses of the entire first leg, with even more available on the way to Maine. Kneebone told the riders right up front this was more than a possibility. The wise listened.
  15. Baldy

Oddometer:
    Bad news for GS's and Tigers... They're breaking down and crashing in such numbers that some Ironbutt pundits are asking why you'd want one.

A Tiger had major engine failure on the way to Alaska and had to be trucked back to Vancouver. The first GS north of the arctic circle had its rear end fail. It's on the road again with a new rear end but two other BMW's had their rear ends go.

The first two bikes to make it to Deadhorse point were Hondas (bleh), an ST1100 (pic below) and a CB11000XX. But (cough, choke) the big story (gag) is, among the collection of bikes photographed in Fairbanks were zero adventure tourers and one scooter. Yeah, the one fish joked about made it. See for yourself. :rofl
  16. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    That bike looks an awful lot like an ST1100.
  17. Baldy

Oddometer:
    > That bike looks an awful lot like an ST1100.

Sho 'nuff. It's the first bike that made it to deadhorse. One of the ST1100s is overheating now, probably this one.

But the link (now down) was supposed to take you to the, hrmmm, bike that joined it in Alaska and is still doing fine:
  18. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
  19. Baldy

Oddometer:
    This from the LDrider list:

At 10:26 PM 9/4/01 -0400, David Smith wrote:
    >I just got off the phone with Phil Mann's' wife. She tells
    >me that somewhere in British Columbia Phil hit a BUFFALO
    >at 70ish. The bike is trashed. Phil has some breaks but
    >walked out to flag a truck to get medical attention. To
    >all on the road, turn the PIAAs on and ride safe.
    > Dave in Michigan
  20. Myles Whitfield

Myles Whitfield Studly Moderator

Oddometer:
    Man them MANDARIN Gee Essses sure look good, huh Fishy?

On the subject of Fran Crane-my recollection is that she was in stable satisfactory condition in a hospital in Utah when she was inadvertently given a dose of Heparin--an anticoagulant--that set up a massive cerebral hemmorhage and coma from which she did not awaken..

Myles
    Tucson