Is 180/55/17 bringing any benefit

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by DakarBlues, Sep 30, 2020.

1. DakarBlues

DakarBlues One-everythinged man

Oddometer:
    Does anyone run 180/55/17 size rear tire. Does it bring any benefit to road handling?
  2. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    The main benefit to me was the tire selection in that size. It lets me get tires that last 1500 miles instead of 5000. :lol3 I have another set of conti race attacks coming right now. I put a comparison pic of the 180/55 and the stock 170/60 both on the 5" rim. They are the same width at the widest point. So the benefit in handling would be from the stickier compound I guess. Typically you'd see 180/55 on a 5.5" rim. So a little squeezed on the 5.[​IMG]
    3rdgeargrndrr likes this.
  3. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    do the 180 squish down to a taller profile then? It would be nice to get a little more ground clearance.
  4. rick danger

Oddometer:
    I doubt theres much difference. It's a 55 and the oem is a 60 so it starts lower profile. And the differences are so small.
    DakarBlues and spova like this.
  5. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Only if you are riding so fast you exceed the limits of the tires
  6. hoss1

hoss1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you don't want a stronger spring, raise the pegs and remove the center stand.
    brianbrannon likes this.
  7. hoss1

Oddometer:
    Rick, you are so bad! How much do you budget for tires? BTW, we've burned through 54 tires on our SAT. They were all stock sizing. That's a pile 27 feet high!
    Barekat, Gemel and rick danger like this.
  8. rick danger

Oddometer:
    I'm actually still on my first set. But they're almost done. Still waiting to see how many miles I get. I have Road Attack 3's on the T for any highway trips. I just use the S for ripping around local. $325/ set for the race attacks is a good $100/set cheaper than Michelin, Pirelli, Metzler and the rest. And I havent felt any slip right to the edge.
  9. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hit the back of my skid plate where it covers the exhaust all the time. I have a hyperpro progressive that seems to be the only option for stiffer spring on the EDS before you get in to custom springs. I have lowerd pegs but they rarely scrape anything and only in turns. Really I should just be on an R probably for the offroading I try, but EDS is what I got so I'm always looking for a little more ground clearance.
  10. rick danger

Oddometer:
  11. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. hoss1

Oddometer:
    You have to be giving away a bunch of ground clearance with that Hyperpro spring. A constant rate spring will raise things a bunch more. Custom springs aren't much more expensive than off the shelf. Figure out what you need and contact https://www.cannonracecraft.com.
    Gemel likes this.
  13. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The hyperpro starts at a higher rate than the stock spring and raises from there so you get more ground clearance for any given situation than with the stock spring at least for the 1190 EDS springs. For my particular situation the progressive works ok as I vary the load a lot from me on my own to 2up with bags loaded with gear or anything between so it covers the load range with less difference. What would have helped a lot is if damping changed with spring preload on the EDS but that's not how they made them.
  14. hoss1

Oddometer:
    Spova, the progressive spring sounds good to me. However, there is a simple test if you want to make certain it is your best option. Simply go for a ride with the usual stuff on the bike. Try different load settings and if the best isn't solo, you need more spring. Don't bother with measuring sag or any other numbers, just ride the thing.
    pchGS likes this.
  15. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Rear shock damping changes with preload on the EDS. Fork damping does not. Verified with a multi meter
    spova likes this.
  16. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's awesome to know!
  17. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:
    My lucky mate has just scored these for his 1290, but it is a GT
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Andy_L, Wrenching and rick danger like this.
  18. rick danger

Oddometer:
    Nice. I dont think they even make 'em for the SA?. Is that really the seam showing in the top pic at 9:00?....For what those must cost...Not sure I'd want to mount my own tires with those. Not with my skills
  19. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, about $3500 in your money. Dymag will probably build whatever you want, but at a cost