Is 2008 990 Adventure Injection Improved?

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by MFish, Mar 15, 2008.

1. MFish

MFish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    South of England; & Nice, South of France
    I'm keen to update my 950 Adventure to a 990, but last year when I test rode the 990, the slow speed fuelling was too jerky for me, especially in traffic.
    I've done a search on here but couldn't see the answer.
    Has this problem been definitely ironed out? The dealer says it has but can't give me a test ride for 2 weeks or so.
    Thanks for any help you can give.
    Michael
  2. Tripndrag

Tripndrag Tripndrag

Oddometer:
  3. Venteuri

Venteuri I don't give a shit

Oddometer:
    I have mentioned many times I got my bike on Dec 07 and it has no jerkyness. Of course it has a lot of power, if you pull she will push.

BTW I can't be that good handling the throttle.

Bike is std. with thermonuclear melters - so idont know if akras may change that.
  4. apessino

apessino Long timer

Oddometer:
    You must have the only one. I got mine less than two months ago (all up to date, etc.) and the jerkiness is very much there. The one and only thing I don't like about the bike.
  5. Venteuri

Venteuri I don't give a shit

Oddometer:
    Do you have std. cans?
    are youcompletely sure that you have the latest map?
  6. apessino

apessino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the bike is still all stock.

I don't know if I can say that I am completely sure, but I asked the dealer and they said that I had the latest map installed.

I don't understand why all European bikes I have owned have had similar FI issues, and all the Japanese ones were smooth as glass. :scratch

Besides the jerkiness, my bike also occasionally dies a few seconds after I first turn the engine on, and a couple of times it has stalled on me while coming to a stop.
  7. dsherod

dsherod El Siocho

Oddometer:
    I bought mine two weeks ago and never had the throttle issues many spoke of in OC, but I today have had new exhaust and the Akra map burned and I would classify the 990 fueling as nearly perfect.

You can read more here.
  8. mysterio

mysterio Eventually an Adventurer.

Oddometer:
    Sydney: Black tracks and concrete canyons
    My '07 990 has been ok. Sensitive, but would you prefer insensitive? I came from 998 and 749R Ducati's and both had, when new, stalling issues, was easily recitfied at their 1st service. We are talking about motorcycles.
  9. maddoggie501

maddoggie501 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just recently purchased a black 990 Adventure and so far it runs fine. The bike is still stock and I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It's around 6000 ft in altitude. Our rides usually go into higher altitudes. The bikes need to be lean up here and a stock bike that runs like crap in New York usually runs well here. I have noticed some jerkiness off idle when the bike is cold, so I let it warm up first and have not had that problem re-occur. All the other bikes I have owned were re-jetted or computer tuned for maximum performance. However, they never ran bad stock and once re-tuned, or richened, the mileage went to crap and no improvement in seat of the pants was felt. The dyno did show more HP and Torque and the air fuel ratio was maximized. If my bikes starts running bad I will re-tune, but until then I'm leaving all alone.:clap
  10. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    I have an 06 950 and recently tried a friends new 990. Can't say I noticed any difference.:D
  11. IBJim

IBJim WhoUB?

Oddometer:
    Just brought the new baby home today (see pics in the pics thread!). I was present for most of the birthing process, saw the TSBs on the computer and verified that they were all done incl. the 10/2/07 remap for stock cans. Can't compain at all about my FI, and I was holding my breath after lurking here on OC for a year and debating the 950-990 question.

Maybe I'll change my tune off-road, but I made it up the snowy, muddy dirt road that leads to the dealership without a glitch. Which reminds me, those guys owe me $10 on the "I bet he drops it before the black top" bet! (Race snobs...)

Life is good. And it just got a lot better!!!
    :clap
  12. minusone

minusone Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 06 990 is just run in at 8500k and I have gotten used to it. (G2 cam installed)
    The instant response anywhere in the rev range is great.

A new rider will comment on the sensitivity of the on off throtle transition but that is after they have whooped and wowed about the fantastic bike and motor.
  13. chadwickster

chadwickster GO!!!!!! TWINKY

Oddometer:
    ive had mine about three weeks and can say its not to bad but not perfect it seems that the 990 was really ment to run with the acrows in to be spot on..

ive orderd a new throttle cam assembly that supposed to be a really cheap fix when i recieve it i'll give to a heads up:wink:
  14. wee tee cee

wee tee cee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run a standard 990 (6k) with the recent addition of a throttle cam.The throttle cam does not solve the issues but makes it easier to be smoother getting back on the gas or fiinding a neutral throttle mid bend.I find the fuelling is quite variable.Last thursday I went for a ride of 160mls.About 120mls was in pissing rain.On the friday I did about 150mls and found the bike to be quite jerky.I have notived this before,having been out for a long rainy ride the next time I ride the injection is snatchy.I put it down to the bikes ecu having a learning abiliy which acknowledges the small throttle openings I use in the rain and leans off the mixture.I know the fuelling can be perfect on the standard bike as it is transformed when a new map is installed,or to a lesser extent when the 15 minute idle is performed.The standard injection continually optimises the fuel mixture for emmisions purposes.I spoke to a ktm tech who said the o2 sensors on the exaust would have to be bypassed to get around this.I see that is exactly what dyno jet do with the power commander.I will save up my pocket money and get one eventually. I only hope this will finally rersolve the fuelling issues. The bike is so nearly perfect for me I find I end up magnifing its small faults.
  15. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
    07 990 over here.
    Yep, the jerkyness is there, but coming from a Yamaha XT 660 R she is sooooooo smooooooooooth.
  16. Taurkon

Taurkon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Picked up my new 07' a week ago (520km on the odometer already) and found it slight jerky but it seems to be almost gone. Seems the computer just had to figure out how I like to run the bike.

Grin factor off the scale still!!! :D
  17. Bonsai Elephant

Bonsai Elephant Banned

Oddometer:
    Had mine for exactly a month, is in having its first service today.

I do want to switch to Akros, but not due to snatchiness, just for the heat reduction, weight reduction, power increase and better sound.

I have found that there is a little jerkiness as low revs but nothing that I can't deal with, it is really not the huge deal everyone seems to keep making of it.

But, in fairness, I have only ridden a 2008 model, maybe it is far worse on the previous models.

:D

P.S. Can't wait to pick it up and feel the full power post service later today! :evil So sick of the 6.500rpm crap!
  18. dsherod

dsherod El Siocho

Oddometer:
    All of this talk about the snatchy throttle makes me wonder if you all are allowing the ECU to remap during cold starts. Do you allow your engine to warm to two bars before touching the throttle? Are you aware that the EFI is adjusted for barometric pressure and ambient temperature setting each time the engine is allowed to idle when cold?

Try it. You can hear the ECU remap during the idle phase. You will hear an occassional hiccup. This is the EFI adjusting to ambient conditions. I have not had the jerky throttle"ness" as many have described. At first I thought it might just be many having not ridden other modern EFI bikes, and the throttle response of EFI can take some getting used to. But, I'm beginning to wonder if the problem could be related to not allowing the ECU to do it's job.

Any thoughts?
  19. apessino

apessino Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, I was not aware the ECU would adjust with such a fixed procedure (the ECU on the 1098, for example, adjusts continuosly... no need to let it "think" at a specific time).

I tried it this morning... generally I always let the bike warm up for a while, but I rarely have the time to let it get to two bars. As it happens, the ride to work was considerably smoother than usual (it was great, in fact). I'll continue to try this for a while, and if the improvement turns out to be consistent I'll buy you a drink. :D

Thanks...
  20. wee tee cee

wee tee cee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let the bike idle for just over 15 minutes.Dont touch the throttle or any switches.It will Improve things for a while.
    Im glad I dont have to do this with my car.
    When was the last time you had to let a car warm up before it would run properly?