Is 2008 990 Adventure Injection Improved?

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by MFish, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Bonsai Elephant

Bonsai Elephant Banned

Oddometer:
    DSHerod.

:(:

Still gets me.
  2. Mad Kaw Disease

Mad Kaw Disease Dual Sport Diseased

Oddometer:
    I hear ya...I know there are trade offs. But at my age, I'm not that aggressive of a rider.

I am assuming that the 16 tooth won't cause any new vibration but I am hoping it moves the current vibration "sweet spot" down to slower speeds in 5th and 6th. Right now the bike rides most comfortably at 62 and 73 mph in those gears and I have difficulty staying smooth at posted speed limits in the places cops like to hang out. I'm willing to sacrifice a little "top speed" for somewhat lower cruising speeds.
  3. Venteuri

Venteuri I don't give a shit

Oddometer:
    :nod

did you had the chance to accept his beer offer?
  4. Bonsai Elephant

Bonsai Elephant Banned

Oddometer:
    Very sadly not, things were rushed, pressured and busy and we only got as far as a phone call to agree to make it next time I was there.

But next time was too late.

A mistake I intend to learn from and sure as hell not replicate - life really is too short.

Steep fucking learning curve.

:(:
  5. Venteuri

Venteuri I don't give a shit

Oddometer:
    Agree.

Enjoy your honeymoon!
  6. MotoTrails

MotoTrails n00b

Oddometer:
    Here's what I've done so far to solve the problem on my otherwise stock 2008:

1. G2 throttle cam
    2. 16 tooth front sprocket
    3. Power Commander
    4. Latest stock ECU mapping
    5. Some emission control bypassed
    6. Always let the bike warm up to two or more bars

But, the jerkiness is still not acceptable. I had it dynotuned, but was told that they couldn't get a good reading to make fuel/air mixture adjustments because the sensor couldn't be inserted into the stock exhaust. Dynotuners are recommending Akrapovic exhaust, which accommodates the sensor much better, but wondering if there will be some new problem surface after investing in the Akros. Also not keen on giving up the spark arrestors in the stock exhaust in case I want to ride in a National Forest. My main goal is smoothness off road, not more power. Any help appreciated.
  7. minusone

minusone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ride harder, and these "problems" dissolve.

Failing that, accept the fact you "need" a BMW and change your bike.
    There is probably nothing more you can fiddle with to turn a tiger into a pussycat.
  8. Sledman

Sledman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, the 16 tooth CS sprocket will not vibrate you to death. I don't even notice a difference. It changed my speed from 65 mph at 4000 rpm to 62 mph, not huge difference at all.

It does feel more like it should with the 16, the 17 felt too tall on average. These bikes are geared very high in stock form.