is a 125cc chopper/cruiser a good idea?

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by yikes.jpeg, May 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. yikes.jpeg

yikes.jpeg big stupid who knows nothing about motorcycles

Oddometer:
    So... ive been thinking about getting something like a suzuki marauder 125cc as my daily, i'm thinking about a bike which would be comfortable on crappy roads and on the highway, but at the same time not all that boring/common...... So, is buying something like a buying suzuki marauder and slightly modifying so it has less "clunker" (mostly removing parts, basically making it into a bobber in a way) a good idea? Or is something like old soviet bike a better idea (theese are common here, however most are missing paperwork)
  2. Johann

Johann Commuterous Tankslapperous

Oddometer:
    The engine in the marauder was first used in the GS125/DR125 back in the early eighties. It looks like they redesigned the barrels and head but that may be just cosmetic. It is not fast (12hp), in the Marauder you are looking at a realistic cruising speed of 55mph and probably close to flat out at 65mph so not something I would want to be riding in fast traffic. The real bonus of that engine is fuel economy, I had a GS125 and even riding like only a teenager can ( ie: permanently WFO throttle) I was still regularly seeing 90mpg, sometimes more. The same engine has been cloned by the Chinese and has reappeared in dozens of different guises (Mash, Bullit, I´ve lost count they seem to be everywhere). I think you would be wasting your time if you were trying to customise it for performance, it is what it is. If you are happy with what is a slow, reliable, cheap to run bike with amazing fuel economy and it works where you live then why not? The GS125 was IMO the best road going bike Suzuki made using that engine, but they were discontinued in 2000 so getting a bit long in the tooth now. I used to tour and camp on my GS125 but 200 miles was a long day!

This is the Mash Black 7 which I think is a pretty good use of the same engine but obviously not a chopper style. Made by Shineray, imported by a French company (Mash)

[​IMG]

Or the same engine again in the Bullit 125 Hero..

[​IMG]
    spokester and yikes.jpeg like this.
  3. yikes.jpeg

Oddometer:
    Well i'm not really looking to go fast, well only to an extent (the max highway speed is 130km/h and i'd would only need to go 100 or 120km/h at most, if its commuting... then even a 50cc is good enough). Im mostly looking to an alternative to the usual 125cc "sports bike". But yea, fair enough... Also i really like mash-es, sadly they are somewhat rare if not too expensive here, meanwhile i can find marauders for 2k at most, they usually go for 1k or about 800eu
    About it being chopper.... I don't really mind how the motorcycle looks, but my preferences are : cruiser/chopper (without additional stuff on it, basically a custom bike), a naked/street, or some retro adventure-ish bike
  4. yikes.jpeg

Oddometer:
  5. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    maybe a small nighthawk?
  6. yikes.jpeg

Oddometer:
    Nighthawks are fairly uncommon here, there are some similar bikes tho, you can always grab something like somewhat new-ish honda storm, or cb for cheaps (500, 1k at max... it really depends on the model, sometime bikes which look like that are expensive, the older/retro cb's are rare )
  7. Johann

Oddometer:
    Are you limited to 125cc by licence restrictions? If you can find anything 200cc or plus the difference in relaxed longer distance riding is worth it. Look for Lifan Chinese engined bikes, they did lots of copies of Honda CG125 singles, supposed to be quite good, last a long time and are normally very good value. They did lots of different versions, I think there is a 200cc version which might be a worthwhile upgrade on a 125.
  8. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    Where are you located? Just curious - sorry if I missed it somewhere. Like Johann says, the Lifan engines are not too bad these days. The first ones were pretty questionable. If you get a new one, change oil after the first ride or two to get rid of metal shavings.

Good luck and have fun!
  9. yikes.jpeg

Oddometer:
    Well im limited to a 125cc, but you would not even need anything bigger due the highway speeds being not that fast. Also im from east eu
    Mista Vern likes this.
  10. yikes.jpeg

Oddometer:
    i was looking about in the posts of suzuki marauder's being sold, a really nice metalic green one goes for 750, and shitty one goes for 700eu (there's also a 1,2k but it has no picture included). So i could just grab a 750eu one and invest idk, maybe 200eur max for it to look like i want?. I think its alot better than the other bike i'd want, "ktm rc 125cc or duke" they are fairly expensive, and somewhat unreliable, no?
  11. yikes.jpeg

Oddometer:
    So, i've looked at the pricing and you can get a "brand new" condition marauder for about 800 or 1,2k max eur. Which is really cheap personally
  12. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:

I don't know anything about them, but suppose they are as dependable as any Japanese bikes. If you get one, I am looking forward to before and after pics of your customization!
    yikes.jpeg and aptbldr like this.
  13. Johann

Oddometer:
    If you are buying a secondhand bike what you really want to find is a bike in completely original condition with no modifications whatsoever. The reason that an unmodified bike is so good is that most problems you will find on secondhand bikes are due to work done by the previous owner, especially if they have modified anything electrical or done any "tuning" which normally involves changing the jetting on the carbs so it runs worse than it came out of the factory and stuck on a crap silencer. Once you find your nice unmodified bike you can do what you like to it, it´s your bike, but at least you have a baseline of a known good working bike to start from rather than chasing faults created by the previous owner.
    yikes.jpeg and Mista Vern like this.
  14. R80st

R80st Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A 125 chopper Good luck finding one of them.

DSC02838.jpg
    villageidiot, yikes.jpeg and Scoozi like this.
  15. yikes.jpeg

Oddometer:
    they are fairly common here, due being european i guess..... Atleast now there are 4 of them onsale currently and its not even summer yet or end of summer (suzuki marauders)
  16. yikes.jpeg

Oddometer:
    well yea, im looking for stock ones, in pristine or "good enough" condition. Currently there's a brand new looking (minor rust/corrosion on the exhaust tho) for a 750eur here. I'd keep it stock, or just remove some bulk, aesthetic parts from it.... as for the engine, i would not do anything to it i guess. Maybe a good, well made exhaust
  17. yikes.jpeg

Oddometer:
    Also stupid question guys, but does marauder 125cc have a gastank gauge?
  18. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    probably just a trip meter....reset at fill ups
    yikes.jpeg and Johann like this.
  19. Johann

Oddometer:
    It will have a simple gravity fed fuel tap with on/off/reserve. Because of the incredible fuel economy you will probably get 250-300 miles out of a tank. It is best not to rely on reserve as sometimes when you switch over you find out the reserve tap doesn´t work then you are stuffed, also any sediment or dirt in tank will tend to settle in the bottom of the tank, if you use reserve too much there is a risk of getting crud sucked through the fuel line. There should be an inline fuel filter just below the fuel tap in addition to a small strainer inside the fuel tap, if there isn´t it is very cheap and easy to fit one. Cheap insurance.

Like VX Rider said just reset the trip meter when you fill up. Work out how much fuel you use at each fill up, that will give you a good idea of how far you can go on x amount of petrol. Fill up early, the only time you can have too much petrol in a tank is when the bike is on fire!
    I used to run the GS125 on low grade 2 star petrol in the UK, they are not fussy engines they will run on just about anything.
    Mista Vern and yikes.jpeg like this.
  20. yikes.jpeg

Oddometer:
    Thats fair enough.

Also, im considering a suzuki 125 interceptor. Is it any good, and is there a way to add marauder's speedometer instead of that weird gastank speedo>?