Is ATGATT overrated?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by blk-betty, Apr 6, 2012.

1. dwizum

dwizum Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have a problem with people who can't afford it, by any stretch - because, yes it can be pricey. That said, when someone complains that they don't want to be uncomfortable or look ugly, it seems like price isn't their primary concern - hence my comments still apply, I think. Your point about affordability is valid but perhaps unrelated?
  2. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whats a fair percentage of money to spend on gear vs bike?
  3. dwizum

dwizum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you asking me? I don't think there can or should be a generic answer to that, it's pretty personal.
  4. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just asking the thread.

I dont think its relevant to the person. Doesnt it justify the "cant afford it" stance if you have a klr, but maybe not on a cvo
  5. Adventurer.

Adventurer. Enjoy the Ride

Oddometer:
    Has anyone ever looked into full riding gear lined with coarse sandpaper?

Oh wait...wrong thread. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    For one I am not waving my riding resume around as a reason I don't need gear. Experience is, however, the basis of risk management decisions.

The way some people go on, every motorcyclist is an accident waiting to happen.

Where I work I guess at least 95% of the 7,000 students ride motorcycles, and half the staff. It is the way people get around in these parts, and almost no one wears more gear than an open face helmet, as required by erratically enforced law; many don't even bother with that. The way gear zealots go on you would expect carnage, yet it is not what I see. I do occasionally see a student with a few bandages on from motorcycle accidents, but not many. The most common injury is girls with an exhaust burn on their lower leg, picked up when parking. A few students do seem to have accidents quite frequently, but most go through their time with us accident and injury free. They know the risks of Phuket's mean streets and ride accordingly.

A PKRU student was killed a few months back, when she was rear ended by a speeding taxi. I didn't know her; never taught her. Within our faculty we take about 100 English major students a year, all of whom I do teach. We have lost two within the 14 years I have been here. Doing internships at Khao Lak, they were taken by the 26 December 2004 tsunami. Their bodies were never found.

In the outside community, three people I was slightly aquatinted with have been killed in motorcycle accidents. All had been drinking, and none was wearing a helmet.

I started a poll here on advrider about the number of significant accidents people had been involved in. About 79% reported none at all, none significant, or just one.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/how-many-significant-crashes.900482/
    ccrider122 and Adventurer. like this.
  7. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having helped out with too many helicopter rescues and seen the inside of too many frigging ICUs, as a visitor and also... alas... as a customer, I'd say every little bit of protective gear helps. Good gear may not have superpowers, or be able to protect a rider from everything, but hey, I'll take all the powers and protection I can get.
    PineLaneRider likes this.
  8. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    My current ride cost about $US 500, over 14 years ago. ATGATT zealots pay more for a single item of the clobber they are so proud of.
    ccrider122 likes this.
  9. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well the comment I was responding to was about buying trick gear, so I think price is a relevant concern, though no-one here had actually said that as a reason. I was just offering it as a possibility so people didn't jump to conclusions about the otherwise-geared. Sure, some people will have the cash but still not be bothered, and so some extent I might worry they weren't taking motorbikes seriously enough. Still, ATGATT represents such an infinitesimally small sliver of the worldwide riding population that I'd feel silly giving someone any real grief over it.
  10. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    I bought my helmet, jacket and gloves before buying my motorbike. The only time I ride without all three on is in a parking lot.
  11. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats not all the gear
  12. Adventurer.

Adventurer. Enjoy the Ride

Oddometer:
    Since ATGATT costs seem to be a common concern, don't forget you can pick this stuff up in your size, barely even used by folks who simply got out of riding, or upgraded, secondhand via places like Craigslist, eBay, LetGo, Facebook, Forums, etc., if you want it. If you don't, that's your call, as far as I'm concerned. Personally, I highly recommend it, for various reasons. Regardless, Happy Easter, everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Motorius likes this.
  13. snoeike

snoeike Volo et Valeo

Oddometer:
    Here in the Netherlands it is mandatory to wear a certified helmet. Other protection is not mandatory by law. However, you can not take your exam without certified motor clothing. Even lessons you need to wear full clothing and protection.

The other thing is, your insurance will give you hard time when they need to pay and you weren't wearing your boots, pants, jacket, helmet and gloves.

If you go to surrounding countries it differs what is mandatory.

When you drive around here in the Netherlands, you will notice that 95% of the the drivers wear everything.

My hear is:

Shark EVO 3 helmet
    Triumph Kalhari pants and Jacket
    Different gloves
    Sidi adventure GTX boots.

I wear them always when I ride.
  14. dwizum

dwizum Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree. My only attempt at giving grief was the excuse of "riding gear is ugly and uncomfortable" which, at face value, makes me feel like people either haven't bothered (hence my comment) or they're trying to cover for whatever the real reason is. Again, if someone said nice gear was too expensive, or they just didn't want to gear up, that's fine. But to blame it on all gear being ugly just seems silly, because that's not the case.
  15. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Someone please list "all the gear"
  16. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I know what you mean. Even cheap gear is usually pretty comfortable at least for sitting on a bike. Even my 50 quid RST pants are fine for that, so I'd be suspicious if any normally proportioned person rejecting gear wholesale on that account, unless their biking is a lot of on-off errands (which mine often is, so I do sympathise). Looks is another matter; I'm not the type for showmanship so I'd be tempted to look unkindly on someone who'd take that much risk just because they worried about how others saw them. But, on reflection, it's just another balance of someone's priorities, and I can't ask people to have all the same priorities as me.
  17. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever It turns out you can't delete your account...

Oddometer:
    Even setting aside that "significance" could itself be affected by gear, your survey seems to say that at least 56% of riders here have had a significant crash. That makes me feel pretty good about my choice to gear up, actually.
  18. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good question.

I think a close approximation would be passing the Belt Sander Test;
    You wear all your gear, someone else is handed a large belt sander and gets to run it and press it to any spot on you of his/her choosing for at least 5 seconds.
    If you are unperturbed by that, then you are wearing close to All the gear, I think.

I don't wear a Leatt neck brace or an airbag vest. My summer gloves don't even have hard shell knuckles. So I don't know if I qualify for ALL the gear certification :D but I would pass the belt sander test on every ride that I take.
  19. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    The digital timer in the upper right hand corner of the video is how long Cordura 500 textile resists the CE abrasion test. 0.78 seconds if your have bad eyesight. Every wondered why there is so little CE certified textile gear?

20. blk-betty

blk-betty bam-a-lam Supporter

Oddometer:
    As the OP, let me say, nor is it all the time.