Is ATGATT overrated?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by blk-betty, Apr 6, 2012.

1. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    So what is all the gear? And how much more of it are you wearing than I am?

Do I need to add that I wear kevlar lined jeans? I don't wear mx boots because I have to wear steel toed boots at work.
  2. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    All the gear is the best gear available
  3. blk-betty

blk-betty bam-a-lam Supporter

Oddometer:
    For me, the hyprocisy of ATGATT is not in all the gear but all the time. We can debate what is or isn't all the gear but all the time is, all the time.

My point with this thread is how many of the ATGATT proponents who look down on those of us that may not wear all the gear or wear it but not all the time are themselves not truly wearing all their gear each and every time they ride any distance greater than their driveway.
  4. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have heard of people crashing in their own driveway. So that is included in all the time
    blk-betty likes this.
  5. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    So If a rider isn't wearing the newest top-of-the-line gear, they can't be ATGATT?

For me, ATGATT is my full face Shoei, armored mesh jacket and pants (or kevlar / armored jeans), moto gloves and boots. I'm pretty sure none is the best available, but for me it is a reasonable level of protection.

My Helite vest arrived a couple days ago but time has been tight and it's still in the box, bike hasn't left the garage, though, either. Nor will I ride with it until it is fully understood, including attaching the trigger cord to the bike.
    Chibiabos likes this.
  6. Chibiabos

Chibiabos Undercover Mollusk

Oddometer:
    I go with an impact rig, cordura jacket and pants, gloves, dick-armor, leg guards, tall "adventure"/MX boots, full face helmet and neck-brace. I also go through the whole routine of checking tire pressure, fluids and do a really cursory inspection of my chain and sprockets. I even make sure that the lights work like they're supposed to.
  7. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    TCLOKS. Every time
    Its worth it.

Especially the O part
    Uke likes this.
  8. W.S.

W.S. Just a guy

Oddometer:
    #NOTGATT

None of the gear, all of the time.

Seriously, though - most of the ADV boots I see are a scam. No real ankle protection advantage over a normal pair of work boots. Even cheaper MX boots without a hinge fold over at the ankle as easily as any other boot. They just look the part. Same with the nylon waterproof whatevers for top and bottom. If you want to do the safe thing wear racing leathers and a brace on every joint. Otherwise chill out and accept the fact that we all make a protection compromise in accordance with our percieved and accepted level of risk.
  9. Chibiabos

Oddometer:
    it's a fucking hell of a lot harder to roll an ankle in my adventure boots than it is in a pair of workboots or combat boots...There are also hard parts over protruding bone surfaces and the entire foot is armored, which is nice since I'd rather not have all of my metatarsal bones snap like they're fucking boards at a ten year old's belt test if one of my feet hits the ground horribly wrong.

Either way, I can actually go out of my way to try and hyperflex my ankles with my boots on and just end up settling into a solid, neutral stance. I still have to fall down if I try rolling an ankle, but that's sort of a consequence of being human. Any piece of footwear that will prevent you from rolling an ankle 100% of the time isn't really going to be usable, unless it's some sort of a bondage toy.

Anyway, I've had a motorcycle fall on my ankle while wearing the boots. Definitely worth the money, in my opinion. That's not to say that you shouldn't buy better boots if you can afford it. Just that the cheaper ones are most definitely better than nothing.
    daveinva likes this.
  10. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anything else is no different to choosing to squid. It's not ATGATT it's a choice to balance risk against what you are comfortable
  11. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same can be said for riding a vintage Airhead Beemer vs a new water head Beemer with state of the art linked ABS brakes, traction control, etc etc or for that matter any bike vs a cage with airbags, traction control, side guard beams in the doors, back-up camera, over ride braking, lane assist, etc, etc.

Just walking out the front door is a choice to balance risk against security.

And for the record, my less than top of the line, other than the most expensive gear, for me, is a wide chasm difference from choosing to squid. At least as I define a squid.
  12. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    You cant look down and judge squids if you are going to just be "i can choose gear that is appropriate for me"

Either all the gear or you are just a doing the same risk calculations as them
  13. North by Northeast

North by Northeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I won't get on my bike without a full medieval suit of armour. I'd probably die otherwise.

That's bollocks of course, but probably still less embarrassing than some of the ATGATT shite being pushed in this thread.
    ccrider122 and Aj Mick like this.
  14. Chibiabos

Oddometer:
    I keep hearing about this, but I've yet to see it.
    BetterLateThanNever likes this.
  15. North by Northeast

Oddometer:
    Really? Your reading and comprehension levels must be on par with your apparent motorcycling skills if that's the case.
  16. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever It turns out you can't delete your account...

Oddometer:
    Where the blazes is all this "roll the ankle" nonsense coming from? The base level of ankle protection is impact to the malleolus. Those cups that cover your pointy ankle bones are among the main things that distinguish a motorcycle boot. If you need more than that, cool. Also cool if you don't think you need it at all. But work boots aren't "better" and riding boots aren't a "scam."

Whatever you think of CE ratings, the standards for boots make interesting reading, based as they are on actual tests.
  17. BetterLateThanNever

Oddometer:
    Why do so many people who prefer not to gear up need this phantom persecution to make their cases? Wear what you want. You'll only get grief if you accuse those who choose differently of being chumps.
    ccrider122 likes this.
  18. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I suspect it's a counter-point to some of the comments made by the pro ATGATT crowd. It's really just the other side of the same coin. The majority of riders recognize that others choices when it comes to gear or no gear or anywhere in between aren't better or worse, they are just personal choices. A few on each side of the fence like chucking rocks at their counter parts either as a response to a real or percieved slight, or just to get a rise out of the "Other" camp.
    Uke likes this.
  19. North by Northeast

Oddometer:
    I do gear up and care little how much of little others choose to wear whilst on the bike. My post was aimed more at the shite being spoken and rules being invented about what constitutes ATGATT.
    Uke likes this.
  20. BetterLateThanNever

Oddometer:
    This is a good question, and it got me thinking. I wonder if the original intent of 'ATGATT' really had more to do with the "all the time" part. I think maybe the point of it was that you should never think a trip is too short or too easy to justify not wearing protective gear, whatever that means to you.
    blk-betty likes this.