Is ATGATT overrated?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by blk-betty, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Chibiabos

Chibiabos Undercover Mollusk

Oddometer:
    People were showing that their boots can bend in the directions that you can roll your ankle in and coming to the conclusion that any motorcycle boots that do that are either inferior to or just as good as work boots.
  2. Chibiabos

Oddometer:
    The only person doing that is a pretty obvious troll...
  3. Scourge

Scourge Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm AATGMOTT.

I'm also a grown-up with some scars that helped shape my choices. I don't care what people think of my gear and I only offer my opinion on what "good enough" means if someone asks for it.

But, one example might be... I haven't had a get off on the road in 30 years and so sometimes I choose to avoid heatstroke and go mesh at the risk of a bloody mess if the less likely befalls me on that occasion.

That is probably too reasonable an answer for this thread :lol3
  4. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're gonna put your eye out kid!

I was just doing a bit of gear inventory/cleanup. 5 different pairs of riding pants, 4 different riding jackets, 3 pairs of riding boots, 4 helmets, 5 pairs of MC gloves. 2 sets of dedicated knee braces, an Aplinestars compression jacket, and a separate dedicated back protector. Hell I'm ready to rock like James Caan in Rollerball. Hahaha.

Still... there are some would likely insist that I need to add a Leatt and an airbag vest to the arsenal. ;)
  5. Heyload

Heyload Bent but not broken Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is one of those topics that seem to polarize people.

There was another thread about it and the question was posed do you really need it. I answered "Nobody needs ATGATT...until they do." I was immediately accused of "preaching" because of that statement, yet nowhere did I say "You need to wear it." or "You are a fool if you don't wear it'.

When the person in question asked what I usually wore, I listed helmet, gloves, jacket and boots, while stating I did not wear motorcycle specific pants. He jumped on that, pointing out that I didn't wear motorcycle specific pants so that made me a hypocrite. (What I did not tell him was the pants I wear are highly abrasion resistant, but no matter.) Some people just want to argue.

I pointed out I also have a fire extinguisher and first aid kit in my home. Nobody needs those...until they do.

Same with airbags, seatbelts, and cars with built-in crumple zones. Nobody needs those...until they do.

I flew on military jets. Lots of safety equipment and life-support gear. Never needed any of it...until I did.

So yes, expect some people to go overboard with their opinions and rhetoric. Some do it to troll, and some people just like arguing.

I ride my ride, I wear what I wear. I don't "judge" or "preach" or expect anyone to embrace my standards of what I feel is acceptable gear.

But here, if you express an opinion about ATGATT, whether for or against, expect criticism, butthurt attitudes and snarky remarks by people that think you are infringing on their freedoms.

Here's a top tip: Do what you want, and don't worry about what everyone else thinks.
    joso, gusable, Macho Man2 and 3 others like this.
  6. ChrisFZ1

ChrisFZ1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When it's hot I'll wear a Fieldsheer mesh jacket and Sliders Jeans with knee armor. To some ATGATT police, that's bad. Uck F'em. :D

Actually, in my avatar pic I have on a Tourmaster Rincon jacket and Sliders jeans. I think that's ATG.
  7. Chibiabos

Oddometer:
    I'm definitely willing to bet a couple hundred dollars that I'll land on my head like an idiot, but that's just me.
  8. ccrider122

ccrider122 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn't know there was such a thing as dick-armor. Have you found anything that encompasses that and the bollocks as well?
  9. Chibiabos

Oddometer:
    Well yeah. That's the main reason for wearing it is so that my testicles don't explode upon impact with something.
    ccrider122 likes this.
  10. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    I wear a helmet because my brain is important to me. The rest of the stuff can be fixed or I have two of them.

[​IMG]
  11. C/1/509

C/1/509 Now with more sarcasm

Oddometer:
    /thread
  12. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    Testicles are highly overrated. Testosterone is not. But you can rub it on your belly to get it.
  13. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Dick armor. Awesome. :lol3
  14. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    Is this ATGATT?!?! Guess he took the chainmail gloves off for the pic

[​IMG]
    Adventurer. likes this.
  15. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope
    Uke likes this.
  16. Steve in Golden

Steve in Golden Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think his helmet is DOT approved.
  17. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever It turns out you can't delete your account...

Oddometer:
    Snell, maybe.
  18. Chibiabos

Oddometer:
    Squily likes this.
  19. ccrider122

ccrider122 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Regarding the Knight in shining armor..and his shining steed.

#1....he is either on the Dragon or in England as it appears he is riding on the wrong side of the road.
    #2....he could be English as he has huge hands.
    #3....He may have just pulled his thumb out of his ahem "armor" as it appears swollen.
    #4....It could be a Super Hero trying to disguise himself as an idiot.
    #5....I give her an A+ for effort (so as not to be sexist or anything)
  20. ccrider122

ccrider122 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Definitely a good picture. All that chrome could blind an oncoming driver and well POW. How Ironic is that in an ATGATT thread?

This thread has gone totally off the rails so what the hell.,
    Uke and BC Brian like this.