Is ATGATT overrated?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by blk-betty, Apr 6, 2012.

1. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just buy one good piece a year. One year it was a neck brace, $150 not bad, but not cheap, next year a pair of like new used AlpineStar Tech6 boots for another $150 off ebay, a couple years later a new decent Joe Rocket Hybrid dual sport helmet to take the place of the MX helmet when mainly road riding. Last year a new Bell MX9 dual sport for around $170, this year a Bell Star DLX to go with the street bike, $375. Not sure what's next, maybe a new coat, looking at what is on cut out whenever I stop in at Iron Pony. Can't really do it all at once, but doable over time. I like digging to get good prices on good equipment.
    Gone in 60 and Traxx like this.
  2. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I won't live long enough buying one piece a year.
    OB1UK and Motor7 like this.
  3. MC_Collector

MC_Collector Retired and riding!

Oddometer:
    Risk avoidance! If you can, stay away from traffic.
    T-34 and Traxx like this.
  4. Peanut_Buttery

Peanut_Buttery Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s even worse: after ABS was introduced, the accident rate increased. Many people felt safer with an ABS-equipped car and, unconsciously, drove closer to the vehicle in front. It resulted in a higher accident rate.

(Incidentally, ABS doesn’t reduce stopping distance.)
  5. ubermick

ubermick Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the first things I realized when riding is that I have absolutely ZERO control over what anyone does - the only options and decisions that are available to me are ones about myself.

So I don't get on my bike without my helmet (Schuberth E1), gloves, armored jacket (a Revit of some description) and pants (either riding jeans or Revit Sands), and proper boots (Sidi Canyons). I have a five year old daughter, and I refuse to rob her of a father because something happened after I decided I couldn't be bothered to gear up, or that it was too warm for a jacket.

If I don't have the time to gear up properly, or feel its the wrong conditions, I'll just drive.

To each their own, though.
    Peanut_Buttery, Bors, T-34 and 2 others like this.
  6. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most motorcycle crashes are single vehicle
    Brtp4 and Traxx like this.
  7. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    From not looking where you are going.

Put that cellphone in your backpack!
  8. AZbiker

AZbiker Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer:
    I've never heard that body part called a backpack before, that's pretty original.
    Old_Fat_and_Slow likes this.
  9. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I own a lot of nice gear. I usually ride in full gear. But if it’s really warm, I sometimes go the store in nothing more than street clothes and a helmet. I always wear a helmet.
    Traxx likes this.
  10. markk53

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of the interview with the 80something old guy and his wife who still drive, never had a crash. Reporter asks how they did it. The old guy says "We never turn left." Think about it, they will work their way around to end up where they want to be only turning right. Remember, two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do. Go around the block to cross over straight and end up turning right to where they want to go.

I used a similar kind of reasoning when instructing my daughters on driving a standard shift - avoid two way stops, try to go to intersections with traffic lights or 4 way stops. If you stall there it usually isn't a big deal.
    Amphib and Traxx like this.
  11. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wear all the stuff. Recently added an airbag vest. But my most important piece of safety gear is the assumption that every car I see is trying to kill me. So far it's worked flawlessly - 30 years accident free.
  12. Travman

Travman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The worst piece of gear that you own, is the piece that’s in the closet if you go down.
    Traxx likes this.
  13. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    That could be a lot of layers, just say’en. So what goes on top textile or leathers?
    :hide
    Big John Sny likes this.
  14. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    My pink tutu in the closet does not offer much protection.
  15. Travman

Travman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK so not in a literal sense of wearing everything. More of, if you're running to the store a few miles away with just a t-shirt on and leaving the jacket in the closet. The one I love in a certain southern state is the guy riding with his helmet strapped to the rear.
    OB1UK and Traxx like this.
  16. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw that dude the other day in Tejas, just the other day.
  17. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Overrated? It sure may be if you can predict the outcome of with and without ATGATT for every accident that you may or may not have in your riding career.
    Desce likes this.
  18. ADV Phil

ADV Phil Boats & Hoes Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just my experience with gear.

If you buy cheap shit that doesn't fit well, protect well, isn't comfortable...you'll prob hate it and be less inclined to wear it. Back in the day when I wore cheap HJC helmets and Joe Rocket gear that didn't fit well I was like meh. FF and you toss in some Arai, Dainese, Klim et all and it's truly not that bad.

The other consideration is weather and climate. If it's hot as balls, I'm not riding. Cold as shit, I'm not riding. FWIW.

I've gone down many times, a few times at high speeds on the track and once that required an ambulance ride and MRI etc. If not for my helmet and gear I'd be dead. Do what you want.
    rixcafe likes this.
  19. Peanut_Buttery

Peanut_Buttery Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doesn't it protect you from unwanted advances? :D
  20. markk53

Oddometer:
    Love the way some talk down the largest helmet motorcycle helmet manufacturer in the world, making helmets that racers around the world do wear. As has been proven, even the "cheap" helmets work well - if they fit well. As you pointed out in the start, "doesn't fit well", is an important factor. Price does not always play a part in there. Right now Bell and HJC make both inexpensive and top shelf expensive helmets, at one time Shoei did as well. I would guarantee you their lowest line helmet has protection properties on par with their highest level. They don't "dumb down" the technology in protection, otherwise they would be laying themselves open to serious lawsuits by knowingly building what can be perceived as a less protective helmet. They won't do that. It is the features and materials that may play some part, but the actual protective value is still there.

I say this not to be picky, but because a new rider or one with limited money to spend should know that $100-200 Bell, HJC, AFX, Vega helmet can provide protection if it is a good fit. Plus with some shrewd shopping they may find a good price. I picked up my Bell MX-9 adventure for about $50 off and I picked up a Bell Star for